Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, obscenely inappropriate related topic: Recently my wife and I went to a gas station (yes, I know) in her fart car and we both got out to chat while pumping gas. I unscrewed the cap and slipped it into the slot on the inside of the fuel cover door and she stopped talking and stared— and admitted she never in her life saw anyone do that and had no idea that there was a slot to hold the gas cap. This is extra funny to me because my wife is super observant and this sort of thing never happens with her.

Has she noticed the little arrow on the gas gauge that shows which side of the car the fuel door is on? I usually blow people's minds with that one.

Had my M3 for two weeks now and my wife was asking if the brake lights are activated during regenerative breaking (meaning just when you let off the accelerator pedal but not on the brake pedal). I told her yes based on reading the manual but had no way to confirm until I realized the car icon on the screen will light up the brake lights when they are activated.

It will also blink with the directional signals - not a big deal but cool that they thought of this!

The Denver service center reset both my trip counters twice telling me the car saves a lot of data for each one that bogs down the computer. IMO Either they are operating on superstition or some programmer should be fired. The Utah service center agreed that the trip counters do not need to be cleared. Hope Tesla will properly train the folks in Denver real soon!

That really sucks. I'd be upset to lose that data. Like a lot of people here, I have one trip counter named as Lifetime because it gives information we can't otherwise access. The other, I use to keep track of last tire rotation. That one's not really needed since it's just every 5000 miles, but it's nice to have the info.

• Helpful
Reactions: mmccking
Had my M3 for two weeks now and my wife was asking if the brake lights are activated during regenerative breaking (meaning just when you let off the accelerator pedal but not on the brake pedal). I told her yes based on reading the manual but had no way to confirm until I realized the car icon on the screen will light up the brake lights when they are activated.

It will also blink with the directional signals - not a big deal but cool that they thought of this!
hard to see on the screen if the car is red!

Reactions: S3XY and F_T_K
Has she noticed the little arrow on the gas gauge that shows which side of the car the fuel door is on? I usually blow people's minds with that one.

I can't find the gas gauge on my car - where is it? What even less people knew - before the manufacturers started using the little arrow, the side the pump was on the icon on the gas gauge was the side that had the fuel door.

cf231afcd7a79d2ba23579e798e9907058e8e197.jpg

Pushing left/right on the left steering wheel dial goes back/forward radio stations or songs (except no back for streaming).

When tapping outside edge buttons on the dashpad I'll sometimes use my thumb so I can have my fingers to hold the back of the screen for support.

I renamed Trip 2 as "Lifetime" so I can keep track of my overall efficiency.
I renamed my "The Long Haul"

This one wasn't so obvious, but if you do the 9 volt battery trick to unlock the frunk when the car is locked it will sound the car alarm if it is enabled. Wish it would send a notification to the screen and the phone when it happens.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
This one wasn't so obvious, but if you do the 9 volt battery trick to unlock the frunk when the car is locked it will sound the car alarm if it is enabled. Wish it would send a notification to the screen and the phone when it happens.

On the iPhone, there is a notification option to be notified if the car alarm is set. I have it on but just tried setting off the alarm and no notification. I guess that is another obvious function - the alarm notification doesn't notify.

I renamed mine as “LIFETIME DO NOT RESET”

The Denver service center reset both my trip counters twice telling me the car saves a lot of data for each one that bogs down the computer. IMO Either they are operating on superstition or some programmer should be fired. The Utah service center agreed that the trip counters do not need to be cleared. Hope Tesla will properly train the folks in Denver real soon!

I thought this was bug as well but after conversing with the service techs I found the issue is the type of road (per the installed navigation maps). The manual does inform you of this but it is not really obvious what it is telling you until you experience the issue. The lane change feature will not work on highways that are not limited access highways. I have a section in Iowa on highway 151 where the function will work and a section where it does not and I have since paid attention and the areas where it does not work are in the non limited access regions of the highway.

Just to be clear, there are some streets that I can make AP auto-lane changes that are just regular city streets - NOT highways at all (limited access or otherwise). Not all or even most multi-lane city streets, but there are some (in the Bay Area) where I can change lanes automatically with v9 that I could not previous to v9.