Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you hold the Tesla logo for a few seconds it asks for an access code.

What does the code access???
The only one I've seen that works for the Model 3 is "Mars" which turns on the mars easter egg. From what I've read the main usage is what @Randy Spencer says, a way to enable diagnostic mode.
This might be a no-brainer and I am lacking that brain partition, but I had to dig around to find out which USB ports would work for a USB drive to record dash cam info. Apparently, the two in the front console are the only ones that connect to the computer. (The rear seats ones are for charging only.) Unless you want to disconnect one of the phone chargers, you have to install a hub to increase the number of USB ports, and use a recommended 265 GB drive.

Please let me know if this is not correct. Dear hubby was looking for the 3rd front port until he realized the manual stated "Model 3" USB front ports, not "3 front ports"...
This is correct, only the front two ports have a data connection. I've never seen where Tesla recommends a size for the drive though. 265GB (or 256 ;)) is currently way overkill for the dash cam.

The only one I've seen that works for the Model 3 is "Mars" which turns on the mars easter egg. From what I've read the main usage is what @Randy Spencer says, a way to enable diagnostic mode.

This is correct, only the front two ports have a data connection. I've never seen where Tesla recommends a size for the drive though. 265GB (or 256 ;)) is currently way overkill for the dash cam.
Now you tell me, after I ordered the monster on Amazon! Well, just think of all the music files I can store on the other partition...

My camera recording keeps crapping out. It records a little then stops with an X icon over the camera. The little video it does record is super low quality. I don't think the camera is bad but they use very high compression. Why?

The front camera is only 1280x960 resolution which is 1.2 megapixels. A 4K Blackvue camera is 3840x2160 which is 8.3 megapixels. Then there's all the funky color filtering/HDR processing that is use to magnify details use for self driving that increases the graininess.

It works, but its not aftermarket quality.

Reactions: Big Earl
While getting audible navigation instructions, rotating the left scroll button on the steering wheel will increase or decrease the audible navigation instruction volume without changing the music volume. I learned this the hard way, wondering why the navigation instruction volume kept getting lower and lower for no apparent reason. It can be increase or decreased on the screen, but much easier to use the scroll wheel.

Homelink question. I have not figured out how to properly use the Homelink auto open and close feature yet. hope someone explains it to me. I have programmed it to auto open but when I arrive from work it shows it will open in 40ft... 30ft... then 5 ft... and my car is like inches from the garage door and it still wont open. is there something wrong with how i programmed it? also auto close does it only work if you open the garage door with the homelink button of the car and wont close automatically if you use the house garage opener before you enter your car? thank you in advance for patiently answering this seemingly easy feature that for the longest time have plagued me.
I had the same problem so I set it to 100 feet and it works great.

Reactions: Abnoidz
I unscrewed the cap and slipped it into the slot on the inside of the fuel cover door and she stopped talking and stared— and admitted she never in her life saw anyone do that and had no idea that there was a slot to hold the gas cap.

Has she noticed the little arrow on the gas gauge that shows which side of the car the fuel door is on?
Has she seen the tabs on the aluminum foil and plastic wrap boxes that keep the rolls from jumping out? :D

You can turn off climate control by long pressing the fan button. This allows you not to have to open the sub menu to shut it down and then have to close the window.

You can also adjust the temperature without needing to tap the arrows, you can tap and drag left or right to change temperature.
There is a faint gradient that is cool to warm as well on the slider.

Always tricky posting info in JUST the right place on this board. Most stuff belongs in the General Tesla category, which doesn't exist, and then occasionally posts DO belong to a specific category and cross-pollination happens as the thread meanders.

-Randy