Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OC/SoCal Tinting Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically down to Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa and Rodz Tint Shop in Fountain Valley.

I've taken two cars to SGT previously and am basically planning on going back. I saw someone post about Rodz Tint Shop on the forum, and wanted to get some feedback.

Probably going to go with the Llumar IRX, which I believe both places offer. Planning on all 4 windows, rear windshield, and AIR80 on the front windshield.

When I spoke to SGT, they said it would be silly to do the front windshield and not do the sunroof, but I don't really have interest in doing the sunroof. Haven't spoken to Rodz yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I had my PPF done at Elite Clear Bra in Huntington. It was 99% perfect, will probably go back for a redo on the passenger mirror which developed a slight wrinkle on one edge. They obviously do tinting as well. I'll probably have them do some tint if not I would go to Tint Pros in HB. I had them do a tint job on a different car over 15 years ago, or that is my wife did for my B-day. The tint on that car is finally peeling now. It's got lifetime warranty from Tint Pros, but I'd pay for it again cuz that is pretty darn impressive imo.

You can tint or not tint the roof. I went with a snap in cover. No tint needed.

I had my Model 3 tinted at Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana, and have an appointment for my Model Y at Signature Tint (Costa Mesa) on October 26.
On my 3 I had XPEL Prime XR Plus. Getting the Llumar IRX on the Y. Not sure how long you’re waiting, but I can follow up with my experience and opinions on both afterwards.

I would do the sun roof before I did the front windshield. That's where you'll get the majority of your heat.

The sunroof comes with some UV and IR protection. Whereas the windshield has neither. The windshield should have the priority. But if you have the money to do both, go for it.

After driving to Vegas in my wife's model 3 last year with no windshield tint, I felt the heat rays come through the windshield more than the sunroof. It was a learning experience driving through 100+ degree weather, so we decided to buy a cheap Amazon sunshade for the roof and get the windshield tinted to protect the front leather seats for the long run.

Just for fun yesterday while I was driving around town running errands, after a couple hours I reached up and felt the heat of the sunroof, then reached out and felt the heat of the windshield.
The sunroof was much hotter to the touch than the windshield. What this actually means, idk, lol. Does it mean that the sunroof is absorbing/blocking more IR and the windshield is letting it through? Or perhaps the opposite. I have no idea lol

Reactions: oktane
Done at Rodz. 15% front, 30% back and rear, 80% windshield, 50% roof
20211015_152644b.jpg

Reactions: StrayY