Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My OA told me to order the Y ASAP since if you wait until October most of the Y's being produced will be shipped overseas and I will end up waiting a long time to take delivery. Anyone know if any of this is true? Or is this just a sales tactic to try to close out the quarter? And what is the definition of a long time? I am ok waiting 4-8 weeks but hopefully it's not like 12-16 weeks.

We were told we should order by the 9th of this month for an end of quarter delivery, but we weren't given any reason why that might be important. I'd prefer a mid to late October delivery, but I have no idea if that is something you can plan for. According to this article, the Model Y will come to Europe in 2021 after the German factory opens: Elon Musk links Tesla Model Y release in Europe to Gigafactory Berlin - Electrek
If true, then it is hard to see why the available supply of Y's in North America would be changing early in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
My OA told me to order the Y ASAP since if you wait until October most of the Y's being produced will be shipped overseas and I will end up waiting a long time to take delivery. Anyone know if any of this is true? Or is this just a sales tactic to try to close out the quarter? And what is the definition of a long time? I am ok waiting 4-8 weeks but hopefully it's not like 12-16 weeks.
We've seen it where they tend to focus on deliveries closer to the Fremont factory the later in the 3rd month of the quarter that you go, as I guess they figure less transport time = more deliveries. I wasn't aware that the Y is available in China or Europe yet, although perhaps he was referring to Canadian shipments? Although that's not 'overseas' necessarily.

Reactions: CO_MY
I was given the same line from my OA. I did place an order on 8/28 somewhat on this information.

I have a hard time believing that because it would be madness for the service centers to prepare all the deliveries in just a few weeks. We went to our local service center in mid-August and watched the inspection/delivery process for 5 MYs (which wasn't planned, I just wanted to see the paint colors outside). Seemed to be a white interior delivery batch with 3 DMP, 1 red and 1 black. To my untrained eye, they all looked pretty good. I'm on the west coast, so some deliveries definitely happen long before quarter end.

I have a hard time believing that because it would be madness for the service centers to prepare all the deliveries in just a few weeks. We went to our local service center in mid-August and watched the inspection/delivery process for 5 MYs (which wasn't planned, I just wanted to see the paint colors outside). Seemed to be a white interior delivery batch with 3 DMP, 1 red and 1 black. To my untrained eye, they all looked pretty good. I'm on the west coast, so some deliveries definitely happen long before quarter end.
There definitely is a trickle of deliveries all the time. WA may be different but closer to Fremont they definitely dump a ton of cars EOQ. As you mention, it is madness and quality suffers.

Elon said this many times. And ask your Sales Rep. It's a fact that the Fremont factory builds in 3 phases: Month 1 of each quarter are overseas. Month 2 of each quarter is Midwest/NA East Coast. Month 3 is North America West Coast. That's how things work when you have one factory. If you order a car in California on October 1st, it will be built/delivered mid-late December. UNLESS... somebody cancels and they match you to their VIN.

This is why there's a mad rush to build the German factory and start Model Y production in China.

I was told the same info as the OP when I test drove the Y last week. The date they gave me was Sept. 7th because after that they will start producing for overseas.

I truly wonder how true this info is since I don’t need the car until December (when my lease ends)...unless I get a great trade in offer to buyout lease and net zero or positive.

This is how cars are allocated for around the world shipping during each quarter. The entire interview is long, but mostly interesting. The bit about shipping cars is towards the end, so if you want to skip ahead go to 3:06:45:

Basically, he states the logistics of shipping all their cars from one plant created these quarterly cycles where they'd spend the first 6 weeks building cars for Europe/Asia, the next 3 weeks for the east coast then the last 3 weeks of the quarter building for the west coast. I know this was mentioned by others here, but hearing it directly from Elon should clarify some of the debate on this.

Basically, If don't order VERY soon and you live in Boston, your car will be built mid-late November and most likely delivered in December.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolio46
@jmatero- thanks for the interesting video. I see that the quarter end has been absolutely real, but from what I've heard there are no plans to ship the MY from Fremont to Asia or Europe. Instead they are waiting for the new Berlin and Chinese factories to come online. If the quarterly cycle still holds for the MY, does that mean that the Y production lines will shift over to other models in October? If so, then it makes sense. If not....perhaps the Y is different.

Reactions: stlclint
@jmatero- thanks for the interesting video. I see that the quarter end has been absolutely real, but from what I've heard there are no plans to ship the MY from Fremont to Asia or Europe. Instead they are waiting for the new Berlin and Chinese factories to come online. If the quarterly cycle still holds for the MY, does that mean that the Y production lines will shift over to other models in October? If so, then it makes sense. If not....perhaps the Y is different.

Tesla's website says the Model Y can be ordered in "all of North America, China and parts of Europe."

Model Y Ordering FAQ

Last edited:
This is how cars are allocated for around the world shipping during each quarter. The entire interview is long, but mostly interesting. The bit about shipping cars is towards the end, so if you want to skip ahead go to 3:06:45:

Basically, he states the logistics of shipping all their cars from one plant created these quarterly cycles where they'd spend the first 6 weeks building cars for Europe/Asia, the next 3 weeks for the east coast then the last 3 weeks of the quarter building for the west coast. I know this was mentioned by others here, but hearing it directly from Elon should clarify some of the debate on this.

Basically, If don't order VERY soon and you live in Boston, your car will be built mid-late November and most likely delivered in December.

This is great. Thanks!