Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile tariff and keeping car awake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to hijack the other thread which I think was more to do with the GO tariff.

With Agile and a suitable charger - eg OHME etc - how does the car wake up when the charger decides now is a cheap time to charge given that it could be half hour on, half hour off etc? Do you have to keep Sentry mode on to keep the car awake and able to receive charge all the time?

Thanks.

Ian

I didn't want to hijack the other thread which I think was more to do with the GO tariff.

With Agile and a suitable charger - eg OHME etc - how does the car wake up when the charger decides now is a cheap time to charge given that it could be half hour on, half hour off etc? Do you have to keep Sentry mode on to keep the car awake and able to receive charge all the time?

Thanks.

Ian
Currently the best method for any time random charging would be sentry mode. Tesla are supposedly aware of the issue and are working on a fix so that it will wake up when the charger tells it to.

The wake up issue does not affect the car APIs and Octopus have an API for getting the Agile rates. If you are a techy I imagine would be possible to poll the rates on octopus and then when they drop below a certain level send a wake up to the car and tell it to start charging and visa versa when they get too high. I assume that is the whole purpose of the Octopus Agile API. This would save having to have the car on sentry mode and could be applied whatever charger you have.

Hopefully Tesla issue this fix in time for the summer as it also effects using the Zappi charger for pumping solar into it (the car not waking up from being asleep when the charge starts).

I have only been on Agile a couple of days so it’s hard to judge but from what I’ve seen so far the rate from about 22:30 to 06:00 is under the 5p p/kWh that it is on the Go tariff so it’s obviously cheaper to charge when comparing the two tariffs. Tonight/Tomorrow morning I’ve picked the 02:00 to 05:00 slot with a max of 2.65p p/kWh. Yesterday it was from 01:30 to 05:00.

It’ll definitely need some software developing to take advantage of the half an hour best slots though..tomorrow only the 03:30 to 04:00 dips under 1p p/kWh which is in my timeslot anyway so not missing out!

Sounds like I better get on with tweaking and releasing this!

Screenshot_20200210-213019_Octopus Agile Price Viewer.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
I have only been on Agile a couple of days so it’s hard to judge but from what I’ve seen so far the rate from about 22:30 to 06:00 is under the 5p p/kWh that it is on the Go tariff so it’s obviously cheaper to charge when comparing the two tariffs. Tonight/Tomorrow morning I’ve picked the 02:00 to 05:00 slot with a max of 2.65p p/kWh. Yesterday it was from 01:30 to 05:00.

It’ll definitely need some software developing to take advantage of the half an hour best slots though..tomorrow only the 03:30 to 04:00 dips under 1p p/kWh which is in my timeslot anyway so not missing out!

It is not normal for the rate to be below 5p/kWh, so don't get used to that. It is great when it is but don't depend on it.

Use the API and pull down the numbers for the past month or so to get a better idea of how it fluctuates.

Go manages to deliver the 5p rate because the rest of the day is over 14p, Agile delivers much lower rates for the rest of the day (outside 4-7pm obviously) that is where it rewards Agility in use.

Also check the Octowatchdog app, it is a handy way to view the rates during the day and to keep an eye on your accumulated monthly costs.

• Informative
Reactions: im85288
Tomorrow between 2am and 6am the rates are in the negative..meaning we get paid for using electricity. We can thank Storm Dennis for that! Got the car set to charge to 100 percent, water heater timer on too along with the powerwall..here’s hoping I can consume a large amount of power in those 4 hours! Might stick the tumble dryer on too as I’m sure this being paid to consume energy doesn’t happen often.