Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go/Go Faster/Flux/Agile/IO ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed it seems like a better proposition.
I am still, however, somewhat nervous about its reliability (granted, my view will be grossly skewed by always reading posts about failed or incomplete charges on here) so it’s good to know that there are now competing offers from other suppliers that I can fall back on if Intelligent falls short of my needs.
If it helps I've been with IO since June last year and had one time where it didn't charge. The rest of the time, it has worked fine. Funny enough my term ends on the 7th, and the price has gone up so much that I'm now going to Tracker, because its cheaper atm. I might jump back on on it for the winter since I wont be in a contract.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Rather than create a new thread, I have posted here...

Does anybody else use the Octo-Aid app & have an Octopus Home Mini?

Octo-Aid gives very detailed information about your electricity & gas tariffs (+ daily Agile), consumption, export, budgeting & forecasting, comparative data and other beta features in development. Packed with detail & very useful.

However I've only just noticed that the app contains a small 'Live' tab which is giving me real time consumption, the same information as my Octopus Home Mini but in a far more useful manner including live cost based on my IO tariff at the time and graphing of current electricity consumption in a more useful style as well as comparison with the same day the previous week.

IMG_6873.PNG

(real time consumption updates in this tab, clicking opens as below)

IMG_6872.PNG

(...a couple of years ago a friend of mine mentioned that his programmer son Andrew, a Tesla Model 3 owner was writing an Octopus app for himself & I've used it on & off ever since (he calls it "as much a community driven project as it is a personal project"). There is no cost to download/use the app & I have no other affiliation other than as a user with an occasional message to Andy giving feedback/asking for tweaks. If anyone here would like to suggest additions or modifications to the app then please mention it and I will let him know)

Rather than create a new thread, I have posted here...

Does anybody else use the Octo-Aid app & have an Octopus Home Mini?

Octo-Aid gives very detailed information about your electricity & gas tariffs (+ daily Agile), consumption, export, budgeting & forecasting, comparative data and other beta features in development. Packed with detail & very useful.

However I've only just noticed that the app contains a small 'Live' tab which is giving me real time consumption, the same information as my Octopus Home Mini but in a far more useful manner including live cost based on my IO tariff at the time and graphing of current electricity consumption in a more useful style as well as comparison with the same day the previous week.

View attachment 964225
(real time consumption updates in this tab, clicking opens as below)

View attachment 964223

(...a couple of years ago a friend of mine mentioned that his programmer son Andrew, a Tesla Model 3 owner was writing an Octopus app for himself & I've used it on & off ever since (he calls it "as much a community driven project as it is a personal project"). There is no cost to download/use the app & I have no other affiliation other than as a user with an occasional message to Andy giving feedback/asking for tweaks. If anyone here would like to suggest additions or modifications to the app then please mention it and I will let him know)
I've an Octo Home Mini, but cannot get it to work. Not sure why when it is right next to my smart meter and a WAP; I can tell it is connected to the WAP.

I've an Octo Home Mini, but cannot get it to work. Not sure why when it is right next to my smart meter and a WAP; I can tell it is connected to the WAP.
Mine is in a room which is far from the router, plugged-in next to & connected via a wifi booster (used because it's the only position in the entire house where the feeble gossamirror wings on my original Tesla could receive a signal).

The initial connection with my Home Mini was a nightmare. However, if you persist with Octopus support, you will get the issue escalated and resolved eventually.
In my case, the LED would continue to flash blue even after completing the set-up process with the Mini sitting in front of the meter.

Support initially advised me to reset the Mini as follows:
"To factory reset the Home Mini, hold the hinge button on top of it pressed - meanwhile, unplug and plug the device back in and keep holding the hinge button pressed for 15 more seconds afterwards (the LED will be flashing red during this time). After releasing the button, please wait for about 3 minutes for the internal setup to complete. Please close the mobile app, scan the QR code on the back of your device and follow the setup journey - as soon as your Home Mini connects to your (2.4GHz) WiFi network, the LED will turn white. You should be able to see live data in the app in about 15 minutes."

However, that failed to resolve the issue (it may work for you though). Finally, my problem was escalated and they completely severed the device from Octopus systems and deregistered it from the app. I was than able to set it up from scratch and it's been working fine for the past 6 months.

Works well with the Octo-Aid app and my Solar/Battery.

I need to switch soon - I had IO Before, so in theory can I just use the app to do another test charge on the new car (same make) and it should switch me? only snag being I'm pretty full and its sunny so I don't need much - how many kwh does it need to use to do the test? I'm a big allergic to the grid during the summer :)

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I downloaded Octo Aid a few days ago. In the section where you can add additional off peak sessions assigned by Intelligent Octopus, it says I had extra sessions between 12pm and 1:30pm yesterday. But I was 100 miles away from home and plugged in to a charger at a business premises.

Why would IO give me those sessions or is that a mistake on Octo Aids part?

So, we have a 4 kW PV array, 5.2kWh battery and a dumb charger (Pod Point). Currently we're on Octopus Go with 7.5p/39.35p rates. There seems to be a bewildering array of tariffs available from Octopus now and I'm trying to work out if Go is still the best option (it's up for renewal in October). We do almost all charging of the car in the four hour Go cheap window and typically export quite a bit of electricity on bright or sunny days. Lately though I've taken to plugging in the granny charger and trickle charging the car for a few hours on sunny afternoons.

Any opinions as to whether we're better to stay as we are (depending on what the Go rates are come October) or move to one of the more "intelligent" tariffs. I suppose the other option is to upgrade to a Zappi charger or similar or move to another supplier for the export (we get just 4.1p/kWh from Octopus as a Go user). Too many variables to consider!
Sorry, very late to this but just wanted to say that you don't need to break out the granny charger to use a lower charge rate.
Just use the Tesla app and reduce the current down to something suitable. 5A is the minimum and equates to about 1.2kWh. Every additional Amp is about 240Wh.