Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Power cycling visit from Octopus Energy Services on Monday to hopefully resync my smart meter after WAN outage/intermittency.

If so, looking hopeful that Octopus email support will be able to potentially retrospectively opt me into those first three sessions.

I tried via GraphQL but:
JavaScript:
"errorType": "VALIDATION",
"errorCode": "KT-GB-5117",
"errorDescription": "Account does not meet all criteria required to join Saving Sessions event.",
"reason": "Account cannot join event after the start of the event."

Plus bonus error values discovered:
  • KT-CT-4177: Unauthorized.
  • KT-GB-5114: Saving Sessions event not found.
  • KT-GB-5115: Error joining event.
  • KT-GB-5116: Account is not part of a Saving Sessions campaign.
  • KT-GB-5117: Account ineligible to join Saving Sessions event.
  • KT-CT-1111: Unauthorized.
  • KT-CT-1112: 'Authorization' header not provided.
Leaves me wondering if there’s an undocumented ‘bypass_validation’ argument…

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
Yep, that's the maximum export allowed by my DNO...

Very nice.

I have a potential opportunity to explore next year... installing another Solar Array and Powerwalls on two additional seperate Phases.

But... it'll be an investment that I'd need a decent ROI on. So, exporting would be the priority.

If I could export at 5kW on each of the 3 Phases... 15kW total. That'd start to get interesting.

Upvote 0
Very nice.

I have a potential opportunity to explore next year... installing another Solar Array and Powerwalls on two additional seperate Phases.

But... it'll be an investment that I'd need a decent ROI on. So, exporting would be the priority.

If I could export at 5kW on each of the 3 Phases... 15kW total. That'd start to get interesting.
My understanding (and I may be wrong) was that the Gateway only exports on one of the threes phases?
I don't think three-phase support on the Powerwalls and Gateway is particularly good (as evidence by only one of the phases being backed up during an outage, even if you have three PWs)

Upvote 0
My understanding (and I may be wrong) was that the Gateway only exports on one of the threes phases?
I don't think three-phase support on the Powerwalls and Gateway is particularly good (as evidence by only one of the phases being backed up during an outage, even if you have three PWs)

Oh OK, fair enough. I'll check thoroughly with our installer and make sure their is a clear understanding of what I want.

If its not possible then hey ho... 😀

Upvote 0
Thought they might of sent them out in masses. Yours will of course differ....
Thanks for being part of our Saving Sessions on 29th November and 1st December.

With everyone turning up the heat in this freezing cold snap, these Sessions really mattered – and you all delivered.

Together, you smashed all previous records. Well over 500,000 customers joined in to each, collectively earning you over £2 million. Thank you for your part in this truly monumental team effort.

We're busy adding your results and rewards to your Saving Sessions dashboard now – you'll see them there within a few days. Here's how you did:
  • You saved 13.83 kWh, earning you 44272 Octopoints – worth £55.33.
  • On 29th November, Octopus customers saved 269 MWh of electricity – the same amount of power it'd take for 2,017,316 football fans to watch a match from home.
  • On 1st December, everyone saved 233 MWh of electricity – as much energy as 293,831 washing machine cycles.
  • The energy you all saved was equivalent to switching off an entire gas power station throughout each Session – saving over 140,000 kg of CO2 emissions.
For these two Sessions, if you earned anything below 100 Octopoints, we'll bump it up to 100 (which is worth 12.5p) as an extra thank you for playing your part. We'll add the extra Octopoints to your balance separately in the next few days.

Keep it up: you'll have many chances to earn Octopoints, use Free Electricity and even win epic prizes as thanks for helping make energy cheaper and greener for everyone.
Head to your Octoplus page to see how you can use your points. You’ll always be able to redeem them for energy credit in pounds and pence.

Congratulations to Joseph in London and Raymond in Barnsley who won our spot prizes in the 2nd and 3rd Saving Sessions: 888,888 Octopoints — that’s £1,111 — just for opting in!
For information on how we calculated all this, head to our FAQs.
I’d love to know how you're finding Saving Sessions. If you have a minute, feel free to share your thoughts here.
That’s all for now: stay tuned for your next Saving Session.
Love and power,
Pete Miller
Head of Customer Experience
Octopus Energy

Reactions: ACarneiro and PITA
Upvote 0
Thought they might of sent them out in masses. Yours will of course differ....
Thanks for being part of our Saving Sessions on 29th November and 1st December.

With everyone turning up the heat in this freezing cold snap, these Sessions really mattered – and you all delivered.

Together, you smashed all previous records. Well over 500,000 customers joined in to each, collectively earning you over £2 million. Thank you for your part in this truly monumental team effort.

We're busy adding your results and rewards to your Saving Sessions dashboard now – you'll see them there within a few days. Here's how you did:
  • You saved 13.83 kWh, earning you 44272 Octopoints – worth £55.33.
  • On 29th November, Octopus customers saved 269 MWh of electricity – the same amount of power it'd take for 2,017,316 football fans to watch a match from home.
  • On 1st December, everyone saved 233 MWh of electricity – as much energy as 293,831 washing machine cycles.
  • The energy you all saved was equivalent to switching off an entire gas power station throughout each Session – saving over 140,000 kg of CO2 emissions.
For these two Sessions, if you earned anything below 100 Octopoints, we'll bump it up to 100 (which is worth 12.5p) as an extra thank you for playing your part. We'll add the extra Octopoints to your balance separately in the next few days.

Keep it up: you'll have many chances to earn Octopoints, use Free Electricity and even win epic prizes as thanks for helping make energy cheaper and greener for everyone.
Head to your Octoplus page to see how you can use your points. You’ll always be able to redeem them for energy credit in pounds and pence.

Congratulations to Joseph in London and Raymond in Barnsley who won our spot prizes in the 2nd and 3rd Saving Sessions: 888,888 Octopoints — that’s £1,111 — just for opting in!
For information on how we calculated all this, head to our FAQs.
I’d love to know how you're finding Saving Sessions. If you have a minute, feel free to share your thoughts here.
That’s all for now: stay tuned for your next Saving Session.
Love and power,
Pete Miller
Head of Customer Experience
Octopus Energy
I must admit 233MWh is fairly decent for just the one supplier (although I suspect Octopus customers may well be more engaged than those from other companies)....

Upvote 0
Got the email from Octopus giving results of the saving session on 29 November which said I’d saved 4.83kWh earning 15,448 Octopoints. However, when I log in to my account on the Octopus website it shows that during that saving session I saved 2.94 kWh worth 9392 points. Anyone else have a discrepancy between email and their account on the website? Worth contacting Octopus about?

Upvote 0
Got the email from Octopus giving results of the saving session on 29 November which said I’d saved 4.83kWh earning 15,448 Octopoints. However, when I log in to my account on the Octopus website it shows that during that saving session I saved 2.94 kWh worth 9392 points. Anyone else have a discrepancy between email and their account on the website? Worth contacting Octopus about?
Yes, there is a discrepancy on mine as well.
I'll just wait until they finish "calculating", ultimately those are the numbers that matter...

Upvote 0
I must admit 233MWh is fairly decent for just the one supplier (although I suspect Octopus customers may well be more engaged than those from other companies)....

Yes, I was impressed as well. I also wonder how many extra solar panels and batteries they have harvested with abolishing the MCS requirement.

Im sure they must be collecting some very interesting data from all this and it will be interesting to see what the future brings!

Upvote 0