Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Those with significant Saving Session rewards tend to either have a lot of battery storage and/or a relatively high average peak grid demand, creating the widest difference for maximal OctoPoints. Which is why the last one on Saturday won out for those with four Powerwalls ;)

1711538655869.png

Upvote 0
I assume those of you with huge savings are actually just dumping electricity from batteries back to the grid thus giving you negative usage?
For comparison I have a 10kWh batteries connected to a 5kW inverter and I've made £52.58 from saving sessions this winter. A worth while amount of money, and it adds some entertainment during the otherwise rather boring months for solar setups.

Upvote 0
14th and 21st March DFS settlement figures are finally in.

National Grid ESO essentially confirmed they were waiting on some of the smaller providers and had to nudge them into action.

21st 18:30+ = 73 of 84 MW procured for £25,814
21st 17:30+ = 71 of 80 MW procured for £23,463
14th 18:00+ = 59 of 56 MW procured for £17,850 (Octopus 2nd self-fund)

Reactions: Oxid8ter and phil4
Upvote 0