Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

From the website of: “The ESO will again run 12 tests between November and March 2024.”
"From January 2024 to the end of March 2024 the ESO will look to run a further six tests. If the forecast volume of participation in the service exceeds 1.25GW at this stage, these tests will be competitively tendered, without the use of a GAP.

DFS tests will last for one hour.

Live events are likely to last for a longer period if they are needed and could run up to four hours each."

So there's still the whole of March to go and live events could be whenever. That's good to know, thank you for making me look, I was being lazy :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"From January 2024 to the end of March 2024 the ESO will look to run a further six tests. If the forecast volume of participation in the service exceeds 1.25GW at this stage, these tests will be competitively tendered, without the use of a GAP. "

In the FAQ in the link above. Plenty of time yet, until end of march, albeit with a wonderfully waffle worded forecast disclaimer.

Upvote 0
In general peak electric load on the grid is tied to cold weather, and margin gaps are tied to cold weather and low winds.
March is generally warming, hence Pink Duck's suggestion of next week as the conclusion.

Of course, it doesn't mean that live events can't happen. Believe they're planning to leave the system in place year round.

Reactions: Js1977 and PITA
Upvote 0
From National Grid system events:
“This is an indication that DFS Service Requirements might be published 29/02/2024 at 12:00 for Providers being tested.”

So we wait until just after mid-day to find out if it’s really on for tonight. 18:00–19:00 seems likely.

Plus the ESO’s bit about 6 events from Jan-March is rather negated by the 8 that happened between Nov and Dec 2023.

Tonight if it goes ahead would be the fourth in Jan–Mar window and I suspect the last. Reward rate if elevated might confirm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just opted in for £1.75/kWh:

1709216816032.png

Reactions: Js1977
Upvote 0
Accepted provider bid breakdown (MW):
  1. Octopus Energy Limited = 93 (61.5%)
  2. EDF Energy Customers = 28 (18.5%)
  3. Perse Technology Limited = 14 (9%)
  4. Gridbeyond Limited = 6 (4%)
  5. Solo Energy Limited = 4 (2.5%)
  6. CUB (UK) Ltd = 3 (2%)
  7. Equiwatt Limited = 2 (1%)
  8. Drax Energy Solutions = 1 (1%)
Rejected provider list:
  • Ovo Electricity Ltd
  • Engie Power Limited
  • Infinis Limited
  • British Gas
  • Oaktree Power Limited
  • Urban Reserve
  • Gridimp Ltd
  • Hildebrand Technologies
  • Flexitricity Limited
  • E.On Next Energy Limited
  • Axle Energy Limited
  • Utilita Energy Limited
  • SSE Digital Services Limited
  • Levelise Limited

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
Just discovered that n3rgy now have ability to fetch export data, sooner than Octopus is able to load into my account, so…

9.8053 kWh average demand plus 2.497 kWh export in 30 mins ‘saving’ 12.3023 kWh = 17,323 OctoPoints (£21.65)

With 100 Streak Bonus OctoPoints plus a social media pub quiz including 800,000 OctoPoints prize (£1,000) from 18:00!

Last edited:
Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
Just discovered that n3rgy now have ability to fetch export data, sooner than Octopus is able to load into my account, so…

9.8053 kWh average demand plus 2.497 kWh export in 30 mins ‘saving’ 12.3023 kWh = 17,323 OctoPoints (£21.65)

With 100 Streak Bonus OctoPoints plus a social media pub quiz including 800,000 OctoPoints prize (£1,000) from 18:00!
How do you normally use 9.8kWh in 30 minutes ?

Upvote 0