Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Intelligence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have Octopus IO and I use the granny charger and get loads of cheap electricity throughout the day.

I’m thinking of installing an Air Con system in the house 4 units in total. I’m assuming when the car is charging I’ll get electricity at 7.5p

When octopus find out will I get in trouble for taking advantage?

When I charge the car because I’m using a granny charger I normally gets loads of hours at the cheaper rate. On one particular day when the car was practically empty after a long drive the was charging for over 24 hours on the granny charger as I lowered it to 5a so only getting 1 kw an a hour. The electricity bill for the whole day was £1.50.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k and ACarneiro
I have been trying to get IO to recognise that the Granny Charger can actually charge at 32A (the setup process only has 16A). Their response was...

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your Tesla charger query. Unfortunately, we do not support charging at 32A through our app at the moment. However, we are constantly working to improve our services and will take your feedback on board for future updates.

So to answer your question don't worry about charging at 5A...I think I might turn mine down to 16A 😜

Hi,

I have Octopus IO and I use the granny charger and get loads of cheap electricity throughout the day.

I’m thinking of installing an Air Con system in the house 4 units in total. I’m assuming when the car is charging I’ll get electricity at 7.5p

When octopus find out will I get in trouble for taking advantage?
cR5NFH1__400x400.jpg

I have been trying to get IO to recognise that the Granny Charger can actually charge at 32A (the setup process only has 16A). Their response was...

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your Tesla charger query. Unfortunately, we do not support charging at 32A through our app at the moment. However, we are constantly working to improve our services and will take your feedback on board for future updates.

So to answer your question don't worry about charging at 5A...I think I might turn mine down to 16A 😜
Actually you can get it supported, but you need to select 'Generic Charger' and then 'Commando charger 32A / 7.4kWh' on the Octopus set up page.

Granny in my book only describes a standard, UK mains 3-pin. Therefore capped at 13A peak (10A continuous load for safety reasons).
When you are using the Tesla UMC with a 32A commando plug instead of the 3-pin, it's not really a 'granny' charger anymore.