Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus - Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Long time Octopus Go user and now turned to IO.

Is it normal that when you plug in the car at the end of the day, the car starts taking a charge? I’ve just spoke to Octopus and they’ve said totally normal for the car to charge up to HALF AN HOUR whilst a handshake is made with their servers. Also, this bleed charge as they call it, is charged at PEAK RATE!

Everyone else getting this on IO?

Thanks.

Yes. But it's an easy fix... set a start time of 23.30 on the Tesla charging settings for your home location and it will stop charging when you plug in. It has no effect on IO and they can still control the car to the schedule.

Hi all

Is it normal that when you plug in the car at the end of the day, the car starts taking a charge? I’ve just spoke to Octopus and they’ve said totally normal for the car to charge up to HALF AN HOUR whilst a handshake is made with their servers. Also, this bleed charge as they call it, is charged at PEAK RATE!

Thanks.
Yes, it's generally only a few minutes, or you can load the Tesla app and press stop charging.

Hi all

Thanks.

Yes its been the case from the start, sometimes taking a long time to stop especially if Tesla is having connectivity issues.

I suggest doing the schedule a charge from 23:30 so it doesn't start charging straight away, worst case it starts charging at 23:30 and then it gives you a schedule, in most cases it should give you a schedule before that time though and if its before 23:30 then it will start charging.

I’m on IO and have set the wall charger to only charge at the cheap rate between 1130 and 0530 but during the charge interval I have noticed in the charging history on TESSIE that the charge has stopped and started various times throughout, will this affect the battery ?