Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd door issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having some odd door issues lately. Last weekend I drove about 60 miles away, when I got out and hit the top of the key fob to lock it the driver door opened. It kept repeating this even after getting in and starting, shifting into gear, then stopping the X again. We finally just walked away and the mirrors folded so we assumed it was locked. When we returned we noticed that the driver’s side FWD wasn’t lined up quite right and after opening the driver’s door realized that it wasn’t completely latched. Opened and closed the FWD and all is well.

On Tuesday I heard some odd wind noise driving down the highway, when a semi passed me it was obvious something wasn’t sealed/latched. After stopping, opening/closing the passenger side doors all is well. Later that week a co-worker riding in back on the passenger side mentioned that there was a trail of dust across the threshold and up the interior behind the seat. I suspect these are related (note, I live in the country and the roads are very dusty)

On Thursday I took a different co-worker for a ride, tried to lock the door with the fob and the driver’s door opened again. This time I opened and closed everything and it still kept doing it. Walked away and the mirrors folded so I presume it locked.

At this point I’m listening for anything trying to figure out what is going on.

On Friday I heard a different noise from the passenger side, opened/closed doors but the noise persisted. When I got home I realized this one was a leaf stuck in the trim at the bottom of the windshield and I’ve gotten so used to the car being quiet that it sounded like something not sealing right. J

I’d welcome any thoughts and opinions on what I might be doing wrong, I’ve only had it for a month and 1600 miles so I’m still finding things that are new and surprising.

I’ve been having some odd door issues lately. Last weekend I drove about 60 miles away, when I got out and hit the top of the key fob to lock it the driver door opened. It kept repeating this even after getting in and starting, shifting into gear, then stopping the X again. We finally just walked away and the mirrors folded so we assumed it was locked. When we returned we noticed that the driver’s side FWD wasn’t lined up quite right and after opening the driver’s door realized that it wasn’t completely latched. Opened and closed the FWD and all is well.

On Tuesday I heard some odd wind noise driving down the highway, when a semi passed me it was obvious something wasn’t sealed/latched. After stopping, opening/closing the passenger side doors all is well. Later that week a co-worker riding in back on the passenger side mentioned that there was a trail of dust across the threshold and up the interior behind the seat. I suspect these are related (note, I live in the country and the roads are very dusty)

On Thursday I took a different co-worker for a ride, tried to lock the door with the fob and the driver’s door opened again. This time I opened and closed everything and it still kept doing it. Walked away and the mirrors folded so I presume it locked.

At this point I’m listening for anything trying to figure out what is going on.

On Friday I heard a different noise from the passenger side, opened/closed doors but the noise persisted. When I got home I realized this one was a leaf stuck in the trim at the bottom of the windshield and I’ve gotten so used to the car being quiet that it sounded like something not sealing right. J

I’d welcome any thoughts and opinions on what I might be doing wrong, I’ve only had it for a month and 1600 miles so I’m still finding things that are new and surprising.
Recommend you start by following the door reset methods listed in the "Model X Reset Techniques" sticky note in the main MX section.
Also, the Service Center uploaded new FOB firmware to both of my FOBs this week. I've had my car since August so this is a fairly recent update. You may want to get yours checked.