Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Software Issue While on a Long Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
So I was on a long trip and during part of it I was heading to Las Vegas from Utah, using the navigation. I was on I15 and the Nav data showed that Los Angeles was 30 miles away, when it was actually Las Vegas that was 30 miles away. Obviously Tesla's navigation data has some issues.

Also, while at a Supercharging station my car wouldn't go into park. Then at the next Supercharger the same thing happened only now the rear camera also didn't go on when backing up. I ended up doing the two scroll wheel reboot, which surprisingly took several minutes. But then everything was working correctly again.

This is the thing I really don't like about a software based vehicle, just like with a home computer or smart phone, things get wonky and they need a reboot. I don't understand why in the 21st Century the software still can have hiccups and then the hardware needs a reboot to fix it.

So I was on a long trip and during part of it I was heading to Las Vegas from Utah, using the navigation. I was on I15 and the Nav data showed that Los Angeles was 30 miles away, when it was actually Las Vegas that was 30 miles away. Obviously Tesla's navigation data has some issues.

Tesla's Nav is known to be flaky.
I've learned to fallback on Google Maps during times of congestion, and Tesla has a tendency to promote highly sub-optimal routs.

Also, while at a Supercharging station my car wouldn't go into park.

Not sure I follow the scenario.
You arrived some place (e.g.: Supercharging stations), and the car refused to stop/park?

Then at the next Supercharger the same thing happened only now the rear camera also didn't go on when backing up. I ended up doing the two scroll wheel reboot, which surprisingly took several minutes. But then everything was working correctly again.

Yeah, I've seen that happen one too many times.
Either the rear camera view takes forever to show up, or it just doesn't display at all.
Side view camera views usually take 5-10 seconds to render after getting into the car as well.

It's a good habit to learn how to back out with a car without relying on the rear view camera.
Especially in a flaky vehicle, like Model 3.

This is the thing I really don't like about a software based vehicle, just like with a home computer or smart phone, things get wonky and they need a reboot. I don't understand why in the 21st Century the software still can have hiccups and then the hardware needs a reboot to fix it.

Software has always been, and will always be flaky.
Do yourself a favor, and develop contingency plans on how to operate the vehicle even when the screen has gone fully dark (either by itself, or while you are double-scroll-wheel resetting it).

HTH,
a

My car is a 2018 on firmware 2022.45.15, FSD Beta v11.3.6. The Nav worked, it just was showing the incorrect City on I-15 that one time. And yes, I know how to back up without the rear camera. The car wouldn't go into park after I was in the charging stall and was going to get out of the car, so the easy out didn't function for my seat and steering wheel. The only reason software is flaky, is because of lazy programming. This needs to be corrected because the world relies heavily on software and it really needs to be bullet proof. Who would reboot a robo-taxi when it has an issue and driving around without someone inside it?

Have you replaced the 12V battery? Maybe it is due.
My car is a 2018 on firmware 2022.45.15, FSD Beta v11.3.6. The Nav worked, it just was showing the incorrect City on I-15 that one time. And yes, I know how to back up without the rear camera. The car wouldn't go into park after I was in the charging stall and was going to get out of the car, so the easy out didn't function for my seat and steering wheel. The only reason software is flaky, is because of lazy programming. This needs to be corrected because the world relies heavily on software and it really needs to be bullet proof. Who would reboot a robo-taxi when it has an issue and driving around without someone inside it?

Reactions: rpiotro
The only reason software is flaky, is because of lazy programming. This needs to be corrected because the world relies heavily on software and it really needs to be bullet proof.

You have said this, or something like this in multiple threads, and you need to accept that this will NEVER EVER EVER happen. NOTHING is perfect, which is what you are asking for. Cars have accidents, planes crash, etc. There is nothing that is perfect, and software will never be completely 100% error free because it runs on hardware, and hardware can also fail.

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist
This needs to be corrected because the world relies heavily on software
Go buy a vehicle built in the 1970’s or earlier that don’t have any computer chips in them. All new vehicles have software interfaces that control the vital systems. At least Tesla releases frequent over the air updates. Most manufacturers make you bring the vehicle to a dealer for a software update if they ever release one.

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist and rpiotro

Also, while at a Supercharging station my car wouldn't go into park. Then at the next Supercharger the same thing happened only now the rear camera also didn't go on when backing up. I ended up doing the two scroll wheel reboot, which surprisingly took several minutes. But then everything was working correctly again.

Ahh Tesla bugs. Fact of life unfortunately. I one time had no screen working for 45 mins until several reboots on a road trip. You can’t open the frunk or glove box (thanks cost cutting) when the screen is dead or know your signal lights are on. Anyways yah.. Tesla rule alright

Ahh Tesla bugs. Fact of life unfortunately. I one time had no screen working for 45 mins until several reboots on a road trip. You can’t open the frunk or glove box (thanks cost cutting) when the screen is dead or know your signal lights are on. Anyways yah.. Tesla rule alright

you can use your app to open the frunk. in fact thats how i usually open the frunk.

Reactions: Resist and rpiotro
Go buy a vehicle built in the 1970’s or earlier that don’t have any computer chips in them. All new vehicles have software interfaces that control the vital systems. At least Tesla releases frequent over the air updates. Most manufacturers make you bring the vehicle to a dealer for a software update if they ever release one.
Datapoint: Hyundai’s Ioniq5 has OTA software updates in Europe, and beginning to be enabled in the US. For those not yet enabled, the update process is done at home with a computer download to a USB stick, then update in the car. No dealership trip required. So far, the release schedule is twice a year.

Software requires input/feedback through various signal wires coming into the computer. A change in signal, multiple signal through the wires by natural incident can affect these input/feedback. Sure, there are pull-up resistor, etc...built at the input of the computer, but, it doesn't correct the signal before it enters that circuit at the input port. If any of these inputs changed through physical and natural methods (lightning, high speed particles) it will definitely cause the computer to not function correctly.

The software Tesla makes are routinely tested in their testing framework to make sure all the code pathways are covered, and the intent of each function does what it supposed to do. However, it's still dependent on the hardware working correctly. Capacitors can have defects, power transistors can have defects...any of the circuit elements with a defect can cause the software to trip and not work correctly.

But, in the end, it's easier to change software than it is to change hardware. You can change software to adapt to the defects in hardware without removing or replacing anything in the car.

Reactions: Resist
Software requires input/feedback through various signal wires coming into the computer. A change in signal, multiple signal through the wires by natural incident can affect these input/feedback. Sure, there are pull-up resistor, etc...built at the input of the computer, but, it doesn't correct the signal before it enters that circuit at the input port. If any of these inputs changed through physical and natural methods (lightning, high speed particles) it will definitely cause the computer to not function correctly.

The software Tesla makes are routinely tested in their testing framework to make sure all the code pathways are covered, and the intent of each function does what it supposed to do. However, it's still dependent on the hardware working correctly. Capacitors can have defects, power transistors can have defects...any of the circuit elements with a defect can cause the software to trip and not work correctly.

But, in the end, it's easier to change software than it is to change hardware. You can change software to adapt to the defects in hardware without removing or replacing anything in the car.
Finally a real explanation, instead of a response like "that's just how it is". All I needed was someone to explain why, so thank you again.