Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer roll call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at 192 ideal miles after a full charge on standard. 15,000 miles, 19 months in.

I must say it sounds like you got a great battery. Mine is falling so fast I am beginning to hope that there is something wrong with it so I can get a replacement also. It was at 163 ideal miles after standard mode charge this morning. So after 24 months and 24,500 miles I am looking at a 15% range loss. At this rate it won't be long until it limits my ability to do a monthly longer distance trip I do, especially in the winter when using heat.

it swings between 285km (32A) and 299km (13A) in Standard Mode after 16.000km and 4 1/2 month. Looks like it depends also on the charging current. Lower current leads to higher SOC. When new i got more then 300km.

I have done a range mode charge 3 or 4 times this past winter due to the monthly trip mentioned. My standard mode actually winter time mileage with heat and normal short trip use has been averaging about 110 miles per charge. My normal charge rate is 32A 240V.

They indicated that it sounded rather low although 170's might be expected at that mileage. They will be doing a bleed test when we finalize scheduling for the installation of some new goodies.

As an additional item I am not able to pull logs from the car so I can't do any analysis.

As another data point, mine just got back from it's slightly-early yearly service (I got a 'battery service required' error when charging). They ended up replacing three sheets - one which tripped the warning, two others which were marginal that they didn't want me having to come back for. Last year, one sheet had to be replaced (a different one). I haven't had a chance to do a full balancing charge yet, and the firmware was updated at the same time, so I don't have any solid numbers to share yet.

(I got the sound upgrade and window noise fixes done at the same time - wow!)

How soon after charing do you check the read-out? If I check it right after it finishes it'll say 192 but if it sits for a few hours it'll say 190 or 189.

Do you unplug it after you charge and then it drops after that? I tend to leave mine plugged in all the time (but not always), and so far every time I get in the car it reads 193. My car always sits for a few hours at least before driving though since I start the charge cycle at 11pm and then drive sometime during the next afternoon or evening. I'll test this again tonight by unplugging it first thing tomorrow morning and see if it drops off by late afternoon when I'll check it again.

it swings between 285km (32A) and 299km (13A) in Standard Mode after 16.000km and 4 1/2 month. Looks like it depends also on the charging current. Lower current leads to higher SOC. When new i got more then 300km.

I get nearly the same results, but I guess it also depends on the voltage.
At my office I get usually 378 ... 380 km in range mode (283 km ... 293 km in standard mode) at 237V@32A,
yesterday at our office in Garbsen I got even 389 km in range mode 221V@32A

at my garage about 298 km 211V@13A in standard mode
(7 months, 23.000 km)

The lowest range I got in the winter.

Do you unplug it after you charge and then it drops after that? I tend to leave mine plugged in all the time (but not always), and so far every time I get in the car it reads 193. My car always sits for a few hours at least before driving though since I start the charge cycle at 11pm and then drive sometime during the next afternoon or evening. I'll test this again tonight by unplugging it first thing tomorrow morning and see if it drops off by late afternoon when I'll check it again.
No, it's plugged in. It usually sits 6-7 hours after charging before I go into work. A small part of the battery icon on the VDS is grey and it shows 190 miles vs 192 immediately after charging. But based on the responses in this thread it seems like it's in the ballpark. I'm not going to worry about it.

No, it's plugged in. It usually sits 6-7 hours after charging before I go into work. A small part of the battery icon on the VDS is grey and it shows 190 miles vs 192 immediately after charging. But based on the responses in this thread it seems like it's in the ballpark. I'm not going to worry about it.

Okay, I tested mine again today, and even after pulling out the plug for 5 hours after it was done charging, it still read 193 ideal miles when I got in the car. It's interesting how every car is a bit different... Also today, the temperature was about 23C which is by far the warmest it has been since I owned the car. I did a 10 mile all city stop and go trip today at just 195 Wh/mi, by far the best I've done so far. The Roadster really, really does much better in warm weather, more than one would expect I think. I would have expected on colder days the battery would warm up as you drive and it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but that just does not seem to be the case.

Maybe I am completely wrong here, but at least with the wall mounted HPC, once the charge is complete, there is no longer any power going to the Roadster, because the big relay in the HPC is open. Therefore until the charge is reiniated either manually or based on the timer, the ideal range would not be effected by the car remaining plugged in. I typically see as much as a 1 to 2 mile difference in the Ideal range indicator even with the car still plugged into the HPC, when checking in the morning verses checking at night. Maybe the portable units work differently with the car, but that is my take on the HPC.

Balancing isn't the only thing to consider. Even with a perfectly balanced battery you may see a different range estimate when charging is initially complete and after the car has sat around for a while.

Have you noticed that your range estimate isn't effected when you are parked on a hill? My car with a gas tank sure sees a difference in the gas gauge when parked on a hill. The float in my gas tank rises or falls when the gas settles one direction or the other.

My point is there isn't a sensor in a Roadster that can easily monitor the voltage in the batteries like a mechanical float can immediately tell you how full a tank of liquid is (electrons in Tesla batteries don't slosh). Imagine if the only way to tell how full a gas tank is would be to put a flow meter on the fuel lines and the filler neck. Over time you would lose track of how full the tank really is because the flow sensors are only so accurate.

When the Roadster sits for a period of time the systems can once again read the resting voltage of the battery reliably, which may differ from the calculated voltage of the flow meters. I am grossly simplifying the whole thing but this approximates the behavior that some of you are seeing. You can't imagine the math that is required to accurately estimate voltage over the course of a 200-mile drive pulling energy from 6,831 cells. Some of you may understand it but it is way over my head.

Zak

After charging last night, my ideal range reading has now ticked up to 194 miles. I've had the car for about 6 weeks, up to 1000 miles on the odometer. It started at 191 ideal miles, ticked up to 192, then 193, and for the first time today 194. I'm charging at 110V 15A, and the car finished charging around 6am this morning. I left the car connected until 2pm today, ideal range still read 194 miles when I disconnected it. I'll check again tonight to see if the ideal range reading drops off after 7 or 8 hours of being disconnected.