Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM 19's vs Rial Lugano 19's for winter rims???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can buy a set of 19" OEM rims (nearly new) for about the same price as a set of the Rial Lugano's from Tire Rack. I was kind of thinking the graphite silver cyclones (Rials) would be cool for a different look for winter, but if the Tesla rims are better build quality, I'll go with them. Any opinions? Also, I guess if I go OEM I would need to order TPMS from Tesla?

I can buy a set of 19" OEM rims (nearly new) for about the same price as a set of the Rial Lugano's from Tire Rack. I was kind of thinking the graphite silver cyclones (Rials) would be cool for a different look for winter, but if the Tesla rims are better build quality, I'll go with them. Any opinions? Also, I guess if I go OEM I would need to order TPMS from Tesla?

You don't need TPMS if you can put up with the warning message. When I got my car is was $625 for 4 TPMS sensors so I took a pass. I'll probably get a set when it's time to replace my winter tires.

You don't need TPMS if you can put up with the warning message. When I got my car is was $625 for 4 TPMS sensors so I took a pass. I'll probably get a set when it's time to replace my winter tires.

$625!?!?!? Yes I'll be passing too, lol. Any advice on factory rims vs Rial Lugano's? http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=LU85932TR727GS&wheelMake=Rial&wheelModel=Lugano+OE+Cap&wheelFinish=Graphite+Silver&showRear=no&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+S&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=60&filterFinish=All&filterSize=19&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price&dtab=TPMS

$625!?!?!? Yes I'll be passing too, lol. Any advice on factory rims vs Rial Lugano's?

I ordered Rial Luganos from Tire Rack and had them supply and install the monitors. It was nowhere near that expensive. I think something like $75 a piece, but would have to go back and check. The Tire Rack sensors actually work better than the Tesla ones in my stock rims. By that I mean they initialize almost immediately whereas the Tesla ones may take 45 minutes of driving and several attempts with the "Reset Sensors" button to get it to take.

I had Kal Tire mount Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires to my stock rims, and I use the Goodyear tires that came with the car on the Rials. I like the look of the Rials better and so chose to use them for the approx. 8 months a year I have them on the car vs. the approx. 4 months for my winter set.

Also, you should consider the TSportline TST 19" rim, which accepts Tesla factory lugs and center caps, especially if you are going for the 21" Turbine look in a 19"

Agree. They just weren't out yet when I bought my Rials in 2013. My Rials even have to use a separate center cap whereas the newer versions can accept the Tesla center cap.

I believe the Tesla TPMS were down to $50 each, from $125 originally.

Also, you should consider the TSportline TST 19" rim, which accepts Tesla factory lugs and center caps, especially if you are going for the 21" Turbine look in a 19" wheel.

TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5

I have them in Silver and Grey, and they look fantastic.

I know the TSTs are great, but I am trying to keep costs down. Also, I was planning to make the Rials my winter rims (in smoke grey or graphite), but want the flexibility to make them my summer rims if I prefer them to stock rims, so sticking with 19's.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered Rial Luganos from Tire Rack and had them supply and install the monitors. It was nowhere near that expensive. I think something like $75 a piece, but would have to go back and check. The Tire Rack sensors actually work better than the Tesla ones in my stock rims. By that I mean they initialize almost immediately whereas the Tesla ones may take 45 minutes of driving and several attempts with the "Reset Sensors" button to get it to take.

I had Kal Tire mount Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires to my stock rims, and I use the Goodyear tires that came with the car on the Rials. I like the look of the Rials better and so chose to use them for the approx. 8 months a year I have them on the car vs. the approx. 4 months for my winter set.

Are you saying if I bought stock 19 Tesla rims from another owner that didn't come with TPMS, I could buy TPMS from Tire Rack and use them on the stock rims???

Are you saying if I bought stock 19 Tesla rims from another owner that didn't come with TPMS, I could buy TPMS from Tire Rack and use them on the stock rims???

When I bought my Rials, I ordered the Tire Rack Tesla-compatible TPMS sensors and they were a separate line item on my bill. Don't see why you couldn't order just a set of the sensors.

When I bought my Rials, I ordered the Tire Rack Tesla-compatible TPMS sensors and they were a separate line item on my bill. Don't see why you couldn't order just a set of the sensors.

I can't find those on Tire Rack....but if I add the Rial Luganos it says I can't use Tesla TPMS and need different ones....so I assume those different ones would not work in Tesla rims....probably doesnt matter anyway, as I just called Tesla and theres are now $54 each so I would just get those if I go stock over Rials.

Also, she said they now install aftermarket rims/tires again (for $154)

My local Jiffy tire does it for $80.

When I bought Rials, I bought the TPMS offered by TireRack, and it worked fine. I later bought the grey TSportline TSTs (not available on TireRack), at which point I bought a set of Tesla TPMS and grey center caps from Tesla Service.

Major caveat: I saw somewhere on TMC that newer cars are using a different manufacturer TPMS, so the frequencies could be different. TireRack should be aware of this situation.

I can't find those on Tire Rack....but if I add the Rial Luganos it says I can't use Tesla TPMS and need different ones....so I assume those different ones would not work in Tesla rims....probably doesnt matter anyway, as I just called Tesla and theres are now $54 each so I would just get those if I go stock over Rials.

Also, she said they now install aftermarket rims/tires again (for $154)

My local Jiffy tire does it for $80.

Could also be the recent Tesla change in TPMS.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pics you can post? I can't decide IF I went with the Rials if I would use them for summer or winter. I really like the stock 19's, but grey turbines on the white Model S I think looks great too.

Any pics you can post? I can't decide IF I went with the Rials if I would use them for summer or winter. I really like the stock 19's, but grey turbines on the white Model S I think looks great too.

This is from back when I first mounted them on my car:

IMG_1756.JPG

Could also be the recent Tesla change in TPMS.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if I change the vehicle on Tire Rack to a 2015, it says the OE TPMS may be used with the Rials.

I'll have to see if Tesla sells the older TPMS.

- - - Updated - - -

This is from back when I first mounted them on my car:

Very nice....I like the lighter rims on the darker colour cars....mine being white I am going with the Graphite Silver or the Titanium Gunmetal...what do you think?

rial_lugano_gs_ci3_l.jpg
rial_lugano_tgm_ci3_l.jpg

I'll have to see if Tesla sells the older TPMS.

They must. I've had 6 of them replaced over time on my 2013 car. (including all 4 at one time). I was constantly having TPMS error messages with the Tesla rims, but as I've said, not a hint of trouble with the Tire Rack ones on my Rials. And I know the Tire Rack ones work because I got a Low Tire Pressure warning from it last summer when I had a slow leak on my right rear.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice....I like the lighter rims on the darker colour cars....mine being white I am going with the Graphite Silver or the Titanium Gunmetal...what do you think?

I'm kind of old school and like the bright chrome, but have seen the titanium ones on a white car and thought they looked quite nice. I've seen quite a few go with dark colors for their winters. Around here, lots of folks go with plain black steel rims for their winters (on other brands of cars) so maybe people are just accustomed to darker rims for the winter.

They must. I've had 6 of them replaced over time on my 2013 car. (including all 4 at one time). I was constantly having TPMS error messages with the Tesla rims, but as I've said, not a hint of trouble with the Tire Rack ones on my Rials. And I know the Tire Rack ones work because I got a Low Tire Pressure warning from it last summer when I had a slow leak on my right rear.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kind of old school and like the bright chrome, but have seen the titanium ones on a white car and thought they looked quite nice. I've seen quite a few go with dark colors for their winters. Around here, lots of folks go with plain black steel rims for their winters (on other brands of cars) so maybe people are just accustomed to darker rims for the winter.

Just talked to someone at parts at Tesla....it can be an issue with the physical size of the TPMS, so I would likely have to order the TPMS from Tire Rack at $320 USD instead of from Tesla at $216 CDN, or go without TPMS, but I just got the car and plan to keep long term so I might as well get it. Still can't decide if I should go with one of the Rials, or buy another same set of Tesla stock rims. Looking online Rial seems to be a good brand, and the overall cost is the same as buying a new set of rims from Tesla, although I could likely find a set of lightly used rims and likely save $400-$500. Hmmmmmmm

Here's a picture from this morning, downtown Duluth. I bought Rials with compatible sensors and X-Ice snow tires from Tirerack - came all assembled so I just had to have them put on. I love bad-ass look of the rims, now I don't want to take them off to go back to the OEMs and summer tires! No issues at all with potholes, although I'm pretty careful to avoid them.

TeslaCityHall.jpg

I bought takeoff OEM 19" wheels from eBay almost two years ago now. Then ordered the Xice3 tires along with TPMS from Tire Rack who shipped them to a local garage who mounted the tires and TPMS and balanced. Really happy with the OEMs as I prefer a consistent wheel over the entire year.

Here's a picture from this morning, downtown Duluth. I bought Rials with compatible sensors and X-Ice snow tires from Tirerack - came all assembled so I just had to have them put on. I love bad-ass look of the rims, now I don't want to take them off to go back to the OEMs and summer tires! No issues at all with potholes, although I'm pretty careful to avoid them.

View attachment 77459

Those are the gunmetal rials then? And is your car white or silver? Any thoughts of switching and running the rials as your summers?

I bought takeoff OEM 19" wheels from eBay almost two years ago now. Then ordered the Xice3 tires along with TPMS from Tire Rack who shipped them to a local garage who mounted the tires and TPMS and balanced. Really happy with the OEMs as I prefer a consistent wheel over the entire year.

At least the mobile app will show you the correct wheel on the car. Mine is wrong for half the year :smile:

Those are gunmetal, they are a little darker than I thought they'd be. My rationale for getting new rims with the missus was that it's better for the tires to not be switching rims (think I read that here), so I'm gonna have to go back to the OEMs in a couple weeks. The car is silver.

Those are the gunmetal rials then? And is your car white or silver? Any thoughts of switching and running the rials as your summers?