Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Replacement Tire Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with continental DWS06 tires in 245/45/18 and am much happier with them over the OEM tire
Love these tires, got mine for the 19" sport wheels but upped the size to 255/40/19 and although they are 27" tall vs. 26.4" for stock, speedo is spot on at 80 mph. comfort has also improved from taller sidewall and handling is dramatically better.

Just bought Goodyear exhilarate tires that have 45k warranty. Goodyear has a $200 prepaid card rebate if you sign up for Goodyear card (and option for no interest if paid off after 6 months). $100 off with no card sign up. Haven’t driven much yet so can’t comment on positives or negatives. Tire rack review shows good wet performance though. Goodyear maxlife have longer warranty and cheaper though. My options are limited or more expensive than tire rack since tire rack charges over $100 for shipping where I live whereas Goodyear shipped for free.
I’m also considering getting the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate tires in 19” to put on my new TSS rims. Wondering what your experience is? Are they quiet?
Thanks!

I have the RWD LR and I stuck the GoodYear Assurance Maxlife tires on my car. about 175 bucks each and they have a 6 year 85,000 mile warranty. I'd never stick them on a Performance but I've had em on for about 8k miles so far and they've been perfect.

That's what I stuck on my RWD LR. After I read they have an 80,000 mile warranty I figured they were worth a shot. So far they have been great.

I've heard several people say that Goodyear assurance maxlife tires are a real good option to the stock tire. They have long tread life, are quiet, and the harder rubber compound acts as a low rolling resistance tire.

...I'd stay away from the extremes on either end.

Lots that goes into that like location of where the person lives. I live in Las Vegas, NV so I could get away with Summer extreme performance tires for 90% of the year as we get very little rain and the temps are above 50* F most of the year.

Talk to your local tire shops and your local car club for what people are running and if they change tires and why.

I have a P3D- and I just put the Goodyear Exhilarate on the stock 19" wheels. Prior to these I had the OEM Continentals, and prior to that I had the stock 18" wheels with Michelins. Here are my observations so far:

• 18" OEM Michelins (294 Wh/mi) - I really liked these tires, but my wife hated the wheels. Good grip, and comfortable. Under hard acceleration, the side-walls compress and the car feels like it's surfing, but you're just moving around on the sidewalls. Good in the wet.
  • 19" OEM Continentals (318 Wh/mi) - stiff sidewalls with excellent turn-in. My daughter hates these because she says that she can no longer draw in the back seat since they are very jiggly. The grip well in the dry, not as well as the Michelins in the wet. Very planted feeling and predictable, and I like my cars a little busy riding. Replaced at 21,307 miles as they were down to the wear bars and the rainy season is coming (I live in Portland, OR).
  • 19" Goodyear Exhilarate (TBD Wh/mi) - I picked these since they were the best in the wet for the stock size/load. They seem just as quiet and ride somewhere between the two OEM options I have experienced, but closer to the Continentals. Less jiggly, but bigger bumps seem slightly more noticeable now since they come from more peace than before. They are a nice compromise for me, but if you are a turn-in feel snob, the OEM Continentals felt better, but don't grip any better. I am tracking my consumption and plan to report back when I have sufficient mileage. There is no squeal from these tires either, so no problem there.

Funny story, I reset my trip odometer for the new tires when I dropped it off at the shop. When I got it back, it had .2 miles and 1107 Wh/mi consumption. I didn't complain as I was more amused than annoyed, but it seems like a really bad habit for the auto shop industry.

I have a P3D- and I just put the Goodyear Exhilarate on the stock 19" wheels. Prior to these I had the OEM Continentals, and prior to that I had the stock 18" wheels with Michelins. Here are my observations so far:

• 18" OEM Michelins (294 Wh/mi) - I really liked these tires, but my wife hated the wheels. Good grip, and comfortable. Under hard acceleration, the side-walls compress and the car feels like it's surfing, but you're just moving around on the sidewalls. Good in the wet.
  • 19" OEM Continentals (318 Wh/mi) - stiff sidewalls with excellent turn-in. My daughter hates these because she says that she can no longer draw in the back seat since they are very jiggly. The grip well in the dry, not as well as the Michelins in the wet. Very planted feeling and predictable, and I like my cars a little busy riding. Replaced at 21,307 miles as they were down to the wear bars and the rainy season is coming (I live in Portland, OR).
  • 19" Goodyear Exhilarate (TBD Wh/mi) - I picked these since they were the best in the wet for the stock size/load. They seem just as quiet and ride somewhere between the two OEM options I have experienced, but closer to the Continentals. Less jiggly, but bigger bumps seem slightly more noticeable now since they come from more peace than before. They are a nice compromise for me, but if you are a turn-in feel snob, the OEM Continentals felt better, but don't grip any better. I am tracking my consumption and plan to report back when I have sufficient mileage. There is no squeal from these tires either, so no problem there.
So you never got the 20" Wheels when you bought the car?

A good way to suppress jiggly is to use wider tires. I have 19" wheels and I will certainly get 245 or 255 for the next set of tires.
The reason is to get a softer ride and also to get a better protection of the rims to avoid curb rash.

Note: On a previous car, I had a CD player, and the discs where constantly skipping when there was a bump.
After using wider tires, Yokohama Advan with 205 width instead of 185 (mostly for the look), I never had any problem with my CD player.

Funny story, I reset my trip odometer for the new tires when I dropped it off at the shop.
When I got it back, it had .2 miles and 1107 Wh/mi consumption.
I didn't complain as I was more amused than annoyed,
but it seems like a really bad habit for the auto shop industry.

You should have limited the Speed limit to the minimum, I believe 50 mph, which can only be changed using your PIN.
This can be set remotely using your App.

Also, you should have set the Valet mode to limit the acceleration.
Using your App you could have check the location of the car.

Note: If the shop needed to set the Service Mode (they need to be Tesla Certified),
then they would have to ask you to remove the Valet mode as I believe they are not able to do that otherwise.

For the story, I set previously the Speed limit to 50 mph when giving my car to the body shop, and I forget to remove it when I took my car back.
When I was on the freeway, I had big trucks behind me and I was on a two lanes bridge with any possibility to pull over for the next few miles.
I still remember pressing as hard as I could on the accelerator without any success. This was not a comfortable situation...

Last edited:

Funny story, I reset my trip odometer for the new tires when I dropped it off at the shop. When I got it back, it had .2 miles and 1107 Wh/mi consumption. I didn't complain as I was more amused than annoyed, but it seems like a really bad habit for the auto shop industry.

Update on the Goodyears: 320 Wh/mi so far after 1400 miles and they have firmed up with the heat cycles, so I'd say they are 90% as stiff as the OEM Continentals. They remain very quiet to drive on despite no foam inserts (as expected).

Reactions: Boourns