Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Replacement Tire Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an ‘18 LR M3 with 18” Aeros and the rear tires are shot at 15k miles.

I’m looking into alternatives to the OEM tires and was curious if anyone has had better success with alternatives? Better range/longevity/etc?

Same, except mine were about done at 13k. This was of course after a 8000 mile road trip, pulling a small teardrop trailer. I took it in to the SC for its six month checkup, and they showed me the wear bars in the rear tires. I chalked it up to the extra load of the trailer, but maybe not?

What are you guys doing. We have almost 40k miles on our Model3 with 19’s and they have at least another 5k on them.
For replacements check tirerack.com

I’ve seen all kinds of reports of them needing replacement from 13k-25k. Yours are probably the highest I’ve seen on one set. I have 5500 miles on mine and haven’t done a measurement yet.

I'm at 30K with an estimated 5K to 10K of usable life left.

I'd also like to know what other options are out there. I think the Michelin's are actually pretty noisy. I'd also be willing to go 245 wide if it would possibly save a rim rash episode if it doesn't drop Wh/mi by much (less than 10% for sure)....

What are you guys doing. We have almost 40k miles on our Model3 with 19’s and they have at least another 5k on them.
For replacements check tirerack.com
That’s a great question... 80% of my driving is freeway, however i do like to get on it from stoplights...often
I’ve had several high performance vehicles, with way more power, and ZR rated tires, and they lasted way longer than these OEM Tesla tires.

But i also live in AZ, so the heat here may have an affect?

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Michelin about this? I know some people report Michelin doing something about this.

What is the Michelin treadwear warranty? I know new OEM tires are generally "soft"

I've had great luck with Michelin Energy savers with my ICE cars (60k miles!) but not sure if that would work here

Have you tried contacting Michelin about this? I know some people report Michelin doing something about this.
I did... they told me the OEM tires cannot be warrantied on an ‘18 M3, but they did open a claim.... i need to bring it into an authorized Michelin reseller (discount tire) for inspection, and it sounds like they’re going to possibly provide credit towards new tires. The OEM tires have a 60k mile warranty when purchased from a tire shop

I did... they told me the OEM tires cannot be warrantied on an ‘18 M3, but they did open a claim.... i need to bring it into an authorized Michelin reseller (discount tire) for inspection, and it sounds like they’re going to possibly provide credit towards new tires. The OEM tires have a 60k mile warranty when purchased from a tire shop
I hope they do. I expect the same if my tires wear out early. I'm only at 1.3kish miles but seeing that this is a common problem, I'm leaning on expecting it to happen.

I have an ‘18 LR M3 with 18” Aeros and the rear tires are shot at 15k miles.

I’m looking into alternatives to the OEM tires and was curious if anyone has had better success with alternatives? Better range/longevity/etc?
I would certainly get wider tires, such as: Continental EC DWS06 255/40 R18 tires on RWD M3

I find the OEM to be too narrow, and prone to curb rash.

I would certainly get wider tires, such as: Continental EC DWS06 255/40 R18 tires on RWD M3

I find the OEM to be too narrow, and prone to curb rash.
That’s an interesting point you bring up. When I replaced some previous Bridgestone on my SUV, with the Conti DWS06. I noticed that the Conti’s sat nicer on the rim and looked as if they were wider.

Edit: I just looked at the thread you linked. I’m my opinion the 255/40/18 are too wide for our rim, and I don’t think it’s worth the range cut by doing so. I’m going to be replacing my tires this fall, and am most likely going to put the DWS06 on. I can report back on how they sit and protect the edge of rim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up