Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I get my roof rack tomorrow. I do have a torque wrench, I will probably go 6nm if this is the case...

I wonder if I can get a service center to install it. It would just suck if it cracked regardless of who is going to install it. I would hate to be without a car because of a roof rack install...

Reactions: smatthew
When I get back to my laptop I’ll post photos. I didn’t get the exact value but mine looks pretty much like this one. I spotted it at delivery and looked at several other 3’s in the lot, mine was definitely much farther off than all the others.

I’m overseas or I’d go measure mine right now, as it is I can’t until Saturday night.

Side note: I was more concerned about the glass on the other side as it was extending over the bracket. That seemed much more likely to break, even if the bracket would still fit. This appears to be the other side.

Any idea of what the spec was exactly so that @Musclez can check it himself without taking it to the service center right away? Seems like if it is way off, they would need to replace it and maybe he won't have to pay.

Hard to tell from the picture exactly how far off it is. Inherently the rear piece of glass is a little narrower than the front so checking the alignment vs. the front piece of glass isn't definitive.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Found my pics: How does your front-roof left/right alignment look?

No measuring tape but you should be able to deduce scale easily enough since one side of my roof lines up almost perfectly with the windshield glass.

I told the SC I was afraid to mount a roof rack because of this, and even if I wanted to try due to potential cracking risks. Plus, I wasn't sure if I could even get the bracket in the channel on the side the roof if shifted towards. Per my original reply they checked it against the spec (whatever it may be) and it was out enough to get a replacement ordered.

On one hand I don't want the roof removed, but it needs done. Even if I never get a roof rack I don't want an increased chance of a stress crack (even if minor).

I got my roof rack yesterday. I wanted to see what the fuss was about, with the glass cracking, so I installed it myself.

Every turn was giving me a mini heart attack, you could hear the hooks settling against the glass. I only tightened to 4nm and then turned halfway to align with the lock slot. You can install yourself, but you need to be very cautious, use a torque wrench. I tightened evenly, one full turn per side. Be sure to pull up on the hook bolts after you put the bars on the car, to get rid of any "slack" on the hooks, so they tighten more evenly.

I can see the glass getting cracked from not using a torque wrench and not properly installing the metal hooks/bolts.

IMG_1311.jpg

I haven't had a need to use a torque wrench in maybe 40 years. I think I still have one kicking around in my tool chest. But if not, do y'all recommend any particular torque wrench? Just something good enough for this roof rack job would be fine.
Harbor Freight sells cheapo torque wrenches (I think $12 with coupon). Get the 1/4" drive model. 6nm is not very much torque and most common torque wrenches (that one would use on a car) only go down to 10ft-lbs (13.6nm). They really should include a fixed torque wrench with the rack.
Make sure you try the torque wrench on something non critical first to make sure it's working!