Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - my build details showed LR RWD White Interior, but got an email today saying:
"Congratulations on your Model 3 order! Our records indicate that you have selected the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 with our Black and White Interior.
With continued streamlining of our manufacturing process and the discontinuation of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3, we are not able to build this configuration.
In order to proceed with your vehicle’s delivery we will need to make one of the following adjustments to your order:
1) Switch your vehicle’s interior from Black and White to All-Black
-OR-

2) Switch from Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive to Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive.
Both options will come at no additional cost to you and your final price will be changed to reflect the new configuration (if less expensive). We are very excited to deliver your Model 3 so please let us know by Friday November 30th which option you would like to move forward with.
Best Wishes,"

No email yet regarding white interior LR RWD not being available, though honestly it'd just be a relief to know the order is not stuck pending somewhere in the system.

Now hopefully whatever changes customer service made earlier today don't cause a delay on the rejection email :rolleyes:

I just received that email as well....it really sucks, also the email is worded oddly. They provide two options, both of which are downgrades and then mention that the changes will be for no additional cost before mentioning correcting for lower pricing if applicable....of course the price will be lower.

I got the email today at 1:33pm also (Houston time). I agree its poorly worded. It says

With continued streamlining of our manufacturing process and the discontinuation of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3...

but they are only discontinuing it for the white interior. They still are building the LR RWD with black interior. I called the sales desk at Tesla (I have no delivery advisor yet) and after 33 minutes on hold I finally got an operator. I asked her if the LR RWD with white interior would be returned to availability once the new year starts and she said they were told the Tesla semi truck needed the batteries so the MR battery would probably continue to replace the LR battery next year also. I really wanted the LR battery, but I could get by with the MR battery and I would be able to get the full $7500 tax credit. So I told her to switch me to the MR battery. She put me on hold to find a "Inside Delivery Advisor" and then came back and said my records show I don't have one of those yet. It was too late (9pm Pacific time) and all the advisors had already gone home. So I have to call back tomorrow (same sales dept number) and they will connect me to a delivery advisor to make the change.

I have a feeling that the MR battery is going to be very temporary to just maximize the number of Model 3's Tesla sells before the end of the year so the stock holders will be happy. I get that. So I could wait and probably get a LR RWD with white interior in January. But I would lose $3750 in tax credits and the tax credit I would get wouldn't be available for 15 months (March 2020).

There are two more lines of cell production that Panasonic is installing at the Gigafactory by the end of this quarter so battery cells won't be in short supply anymore. Even with the semi truck. But I could be wrong, so that is why I decided to choose the least of all evils and go with the MR RWD with white interior.

** Just like the P3D pricing change, there is safety in numbers. Everyone who has a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement for a Long Range with a White Interior should give Tesla the option of making the car or providing the LR AWD for the same price. There is no reason you should feel obligated to downgrade. There is no reason Tesla can put the LR battery pack and white seats in the AWD but not the RWD.

** Someone might also reach out to Fred Lambert at Electrek - He got everyone the $5,000 discount on the performance model 3.

I got the email today at 1:33pm also (Houston time). I agree its poorly worded. It says

With continued streamlining of our manufacturing process and the discontinuation of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3...

but they are only discontinuing it for the white interior. They still are building the LR RWD with black interior. I called the sales desk at Tesla (I have no delivery advisor yet) and after 33 minutes on hold I finally got an operator. I asked her if the LR RWD with white interior would be returned to availability once the new year starts and she said they were told the Tesla semi truck needed the batteries so the MR battery would probably continue to replace the LR battery next year also. I really wanted the LR battery, but I could get by with the MR battery and I would be able to get the full $7500 tax credit. So I told her to switch me to the MR battery. She put me on hold to find a "Inside Delivery Advisor" and then came back and said my records show I don't have one of those yet. It was too late (9pm Pacific time) and all the advisors had already gone home. So I have to call back tomorrow (same sales dept number) and they will connect me to a delivery advisor to make the change.

I have a feeling that the MR battery is going to be very temporary to just maximize the number of Model 3's Tesla sells before the end of the year so the stock holders will be happy. I get that. So I could wait and probably get a LR RWD with white interior in January. But I would lose $3750 in tax credits and the tax credit I would get wouldn't be available for 15 months (March 2020).

There are two more lines of cell production that Panasonic is installing at the Gigafactory by the end of this quarter so battery cells won't be in short supply anymore. Even with the semi truck. But I could be wrong, so that is why I decided to choose the least of all evils and go with the MR RWD with white interior.

I don't believe you will ever see the LR RWD Model 3 again. It is essentially superior to every model S except the P100D. Tesla will upgrade the Model S to use the 2170 batteries so the range on the MS is on par with the Model 3 and they will continue to build only dual motor Model 3s .... Only the SR version (not currently available) will be RWD. The product managers have taken full control of the product mix.

** Just like the P3D pricing change, there is safety in numbers. Everyone who has a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement for a Long Range with a White Interior should give Tesla the option of making the car or providing the LR AWD for the same price. There is no reason you should feel obligated to downgrade. There is no reason Tesla can put the LR battery pack and white seats in the AWD but not the RWD.

** Someone might also reach out to Fred Lambert at Electrek - He got everyone the $5,000 discount on the performance model 3.

So you want a 4K gift because they won’t do a white interior? You can’t compare the P3D situation, that was a blatantly quick price drop that wasn’t fair.

So you want a 4K gift because they won’t do a white interior? You can’t compare the P3D situation, that was a blatantly quick price drop that wasn’t fair.

I feel that being misled and spending a lot of my free time is worth something, but I don't want the AWD. I'm definitely going to ride this one up the chain, since it wasnt just me that had this issue, and frankly, this is garbage.

I called the sales line about my existing order, and this time the phone system put me into the delivery advisor queue. She went through the notes and said there was no change ever put in for my order, despite the claims of the sales reps that I spoke to. She even noticed in the notes that I mentioned possibly cancelling in my last call if there were order problems.

She said that they are no longer building the LR with white interior, and this was a recent change.

She did search the database for cars for me. There are 25 LR White/Black Int RWD's in inventory for North America, FWIW.

I had a feeling something like this would happen given the other stories about miscommunication and delivery hell. I also have spent many hours looking for information, @Elmexiken.

Actually, I am wondering now what's going on with my order. The website shows a blue/white MR as my order - I just don't have a date. I thought this was because of order change limbo. If I don't do anything, will they assign a VIN to me?

I found out why I didn't get the rejection email!

I just now received a confirmation email that my order was updated to an all wheel drive LR version, had a new purchase agreement, and the online account was changed. I assume the rep earlier who "found a problem" with my LR RWD off-menu request completely misunderstood what I was talking about and changed the off-menu request to AWD in order to get it to process properly.

Yuck.

Fortunately I was able to use the backdoor edit link to change it back to my original MR configuration quickly, though I now have the $46k base price instead of $45k.

I sent an email to my OA at the store (who I just got in touch with today and seems infinitely more helpful and knowledgeable) so I hope he'll be able to take care of this. I had actually added EAP to my order without affecting original pricing and he was able to do this pretty quickly.

The test drive today exceeded my own expectations though, so going through all the BS is worth it :rolleyes:

After sleeping on what to do about the Tesla email giving me only two options, I decided I don't want either option. So I called Tesla earlier today and after 35 minutes on hold (13 minutes for sales dept. and 22 minutes for DA) I talked to a delivery advisor to ask her what happens if I reject those options. She said she was not aware of that email and to forward it to her so she could take it to her supervisor. She called back a few minutes later and said those two options are all that Tesla is offering and I needed to reply to that email directly with my choice, or my reservation would be cancelled. I objected to that and said I had a MVPA that specified the configuration they were now saying couldn't be built. But then I thought I heard her say something about her supervisor was sympathetic to my situation and that they might be able to work something out. She asked me to forward her the email where I did a reply to the [email protected] (in which I said

...This is not fair and I don’t want to choose either option. Please make what I ordered...)

and she will take it to her supervisor. I did that, and told her the Tesla chat groups were getting lots of people reporting the receiving of the OrderDetails email and she said she doesn't doubt that. So far I have not heard anything back from them.

So my advice to everyone who doesn't want either of the two options they offered is to call the sales dept. number that is on your order screen (listed under "immediate assistance") and ask to speak to a delivery advisor and then firmly but politely tell the DA you want what was agreed to in the MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement), which for me specified LR RWD Model 3 with black and white interior. We have Elon Musk on our side as it was he who said we could change our MR order to a LR order within 1 week of Oct.18.

They open at 7am Pacific time and said that would be the best time to call them if you want to minimize your wait on hold.