Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offered Red Calipers on my P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Tuesday, I got a voicemail from Tesla where the person said that they have something very special that they want to offer me and asked that I call them back. FYI...My P85+ is on order and is scheduled to be delivered on 12/9. I called her back and the Tesla rep says that they want to offer Red Calipers that are only available on the European builds, to me if I want to add them. It would be an additional $500. They had a very small number for extra units from the European builds and that if I want to add them, I had to tell her within a couple of hours. Needless to say, I added them.

Did anyone else around the same build time and configuration get a call?

On Tuesday, I got a voicemail from Tesla where the person said that they have something very special that they want to offer me and asked that I call them back. FYI...My P85+ is on order and is scheduled to be delivered on 12/9. I called her back and the Tesla rep says that they want to offer Red Calipers that are only available on the European builds, to me if I want to add them. It would be an additional $500. They had a very small number for extra units from the European builds and that if I want to add them, I had to tell her within a couple of hours. Needless to say, I added them.

Did anyone else around the same build time and configuration get a call?
They need to do more of this: reaching out to offer special things that owners will likely (definitely?) want that cost them nothing but generate a significant amount of goodwill.

Great opportunity I would have said yes if they had asked back in July before mine was delivered.

Wonder why the red ones are so much more - that is a good margin on a painted caliper. Every high end company get extra $$$ for them so why shouldn't Tesla I guess.

Standard on all P85 purchases now. They should be free! Don't know why they are trying to charge you can extra $500....

ui_option_bc0r_1_large.jpg

Have the impression that when you have confirmed your Configuration before the price increase (+ 10%) here in Norway 11/8 and make changes you have to pay the New prices on the hole package! Do hope it´s possible for me to get the red ones :)

And yes, they should be free due to no more costs for Tesla. On the other hand I fully understand that they want to make money...

P85 Dolphin grey, black P-interior, grey 21". delivery april 2014

Last edited:
Have the impression that when you have confirmed your Configuration before the price increase (+ 10%) here in Norway 11/8 and make changes you have to pay the New prices on the hole package! Do hope it´s possible for me to get the red ones :)

And yes, they should be free due to no more costs for Tesla. On the other hand I fully understand that they want to make money...

I was under the impression that there was no "price increase" at all last week but rather some items got packaged in and it works out to be the same price if you had picked those options...are you saying there was a 10% price increase with no change in options and packages?(besides the calipers)

Standard on all P85 purchases now. They should be free! Don't know why they are trying to charge you can extra $500....

View attachment 35713

They are standard on all P cars in the US, but the P package has gone up 3500. 1500 of that is the spoiler, now included but formerly 1500, and 1500 is the alcantara, now included but formerly 1500. That means they're charging 500 for the caliper paint, which was not previously available.

Pricing and packages have been different in the EU, so I don't know how it works over there.

I was under the impression that there was no "price increase" at all last week but rather some items got packaged in and it works out to be the same price if you had picked those options...are you saying there was a 10% price increase with no change in options and packages?(besides the calipers)

In Norway there was a significant price increase one week ago. The options/packages were changed and are now very similar to US. The highest increases was on the extras. F.ex. the sound package went from 1000 $ to 2500$. My configuration included all options without Rear Facing Seats, Onboard Dual Chargers and Security Package. A little bit insecure about the Extended Nappa leather trim. We did not have that option before. I really do hope Nappa dashboard and door panels was included in my Performance-package :confused:

I am probably in the minority, but not a fan or red calipers on a red car--too much red. On non-red cars (which maybe the aforementioned exception of green), I think red calipers look great, but if I got mine custom painted, I'd probably go for some contrast, maybe yellow:

xxexterior.jpg

O

Red or yellow calipers draws the eye toward the wheels and away from the lines of the car. This effect is even more pronounced in cars like the 458 that have wide spaces between the spokes of the wheels. Compare the appearance of this 458 with neutral brake calipers……IMO, beautiful cars look better with neutral calipers.

I am probably in the minority, but not a fan or red calipers on a red car--too much red. On non-red cars (which maybe the aforementioned exception of green), I think red calipers look great, but if I got mine custom painted, I'd probably go for some contrast, maybe yellow:

View attachment 35737

O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 10.39.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 10.39.53 AM.png
    354.8 KB · Views: 691
Red or yellow calipers draws the eye toward the wheels and away from the lines of the car. This effect is even more pronounced in cars like the 458 that have wide spaces between the spokes of the wheels. Compare the appearance of this 458 with neutral brake calipers……IMO, beautiful cars look better with neutral calipers.

Agreed. While I have been a serial caliper painter in the past, I left them grey on my MC Red S85.