Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 days left before my deadline to purchase a service plan, and even having read this thread and talked to Tesla this AM, I am still confused. And they agree it needs clarification!
Questions:
If I drive 18,000 miles during first year and bring it in under pre-paid service plan ...
- am I 1/2 times in to the service plan?
- if not covered, do I pay $600? For the year or do they ding me for the additional 8,000 miles?
A couple of my local Tesla buddies have paid as recently as last week for the whole shebang. They now wonder if they should cancel it?
As much as I appreciate Elon changing course at the "bridge" level, please let your staff and passengers know exactly what to expect! :)

I did assume it stays at $600 per year because the Roadster started at $600 a year four years ago, is still $600 a year, and the Model S is $600 per year.

Not that I think it will go up right away, but Tesla's behavior seems to keep it fixed for a decent period of time. So my *guess* based upon previous behavior, is that they will keep it at $600 and then a few years down the line depending upon their costs and inflation jump to probably $650 or $700 per year. I don't see them going to $604 next year, $609 the next...

How much luck have you had with the Roadster service price staying at $600?

In addition to the $600 charge, my last service bill included an extra $40 for checking the tire pressure, and $140 for replacing the brake fluid (which is part of the annual service, but not included in the $600 charge), so including tax it actually cost me $785.

No reason to assume the Model S should be any different.

How much luck have you had with the Roadster service price staying at $600?

In addition to the $600 charge, my last service bill included an extra $40 for checking the tire pressure, and $140 for replacing the brake fluid (which is part of the annual service, but not included in the $600 charge), so including tax it actually cost me $785.

No reason to assume the Model S should be any different.

I really hope with prepaid Tesla S service plan, these costs would be omitted.

Including any hardware upgrades in a service plan would be amazing and awesome and totally unexpected IMO. Concerning which upgrades would count and which not, I would expect that hardware improvements that were included as standard equipment for new MS coming off the line would be the improvements Tesla would most likely consider for complimentary retrofits. New hardware that is sold as an option for new cars, would be sold as an upgrade to current models if it was possible to upgrade at all (and at a premium to the pre-order price to account for the lower efficiency/higher cost of aftermarket installation).
This seems the most realistic to me when it comes to hardware upgrades. If it is included in any new 'base' cars coming off the assembly line and any upgrades you had specifically on your car...example: New tech package is LTE vs 3G. If it is a 'new' package....Performance Plus as an example, it is not. I have an email/call into Tesla to try to get some clarification on this point.

I bought the Service Plan before they announced Perf+. Seems like "I bought the best Perf option Tesla offered" so I should "qualify for a free retrofit", right? I wonder if I should start an e-mail thread with Mr. Musk about that...

I like your thinking :wink:
me too

... I did get the 4+4 w/out ranger since it's 'only' a 300 mile drive for me to get S service

tough time doing it since my 50k mile 4year old Rav4 never needed any service! (besides oil changes and rotations, which I do)

Will Tesla bring you loaner P85s even if you do not have the Ranger Service plan? e.g. say you're having an issue, car is not derivable and remote diagnostics says it must be brought into a Service Center to fix. Elon's press conference said loaners would be delivered to us at home/office.

Will Tesla bring you loaner P85s even if you do not have the Ranger Service plan? e.g. say you're having an issue, car is not derivable and remote diagnostics says it must be brought into a Service Center to fix. Elon's press conference said loaners would be delivered to us at home/office.

That's what they seemed to be saying but i still do not understand how that makes any sense if they also offer a Ranger program where you are essentially charging people for the same convenience (i.e. not having to drive into the service center). They really lost me on the logic here.

That's what they seemed to be saying but i still do not understand how that makes any sense if they also offer a Ranger program where you are essentially charging people for the same convenience (i.e. not having to drive into the service center). They really lost me on the logic here.

The Ranger service is really aimed at those living hundreds of miles from a service center; think KBF in Manitoba, someone in Kentucky or Tennessee etc. Tesla would presumably prefer to send a ranger and his/her truck over to fix things on site rather than drive a loaner to, your car back and forth and then the loaner back hundreds of miles.

The Ranger service is really aimed at those living hundreds of miles from a service center; think KBF in Manitoba, someone in Kentucky or Tennessee etc. Tesla would presumably prefer to send a ranger and his/her truck over to fix things on site rather than drive a loaner to, your car back and forth and then the loaner back hundreds of miles.

Well (a) I didnt see any restrictions on the distance for Valet service and (b) doesnt really matter. I dont live that far from a service center and bought the ranger plan anyway just because i do not like wasting time taking the car to the service center but now I find myself in a position where I have paid for something that I could essentially get for free had i not opted for it. I've already sent my gripes about this to Tesla. It's like advertising and selling me something one day and then offering it to everyone else (with more) for free the day after. I am sure they will make things right. I am not worried.

The loaner program offers customers a MS if their own car needs a service that they estimate will take 4 hours or longer.

The Ranger service is ostensibly for work that a tech can do on location (and they will haul you back to the service center if further work is needed). I think the difference is most recognizable for the annual service, which I have seen quoted elsewhere on the forum as estimated at 3.5 hours... ie not valid for complimentary loaner/valet, but certainly part of a ranger service offering.

I had originally signed up and paid for the 8 year service agreement with Ranger service (anywhere service).
However, I really wanted the 4 year extended warranty, so when it was announced that the annual service isn't mandatory any longer I called Ownership Service and had them change my second 4 years of service agreement to the extended warranty. They were very cordial and handled it quickly. No hassle at all.

For those whose time has expired to buy the pre-paid service plan, what does the screen now say?
What does it offer?

I think today's the deadline for everyone who took delivery prior to April?! I'll let you know tomorrow :)

onedayleft.png