Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy, there is going to be some learning curve for model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t want to go that far by web shamed him, I just have a feeling that we would need to be patient with model 3 owners to learn how to be considerate with superchargers.

People will not care for others until they have to experience and wait for a charger from someone who does this to them.
Why would Model 3 owners need to learn how to be considerate? Model S owners didn’t have to learn how to be considerate, we knew from the start that supercharger spaces are only for charging, not parking.

Why would Model 3 owners need to learn how to be considerate? Model S owners didn’t have to learn how to be considerate, we knew from the start that supercharger spaces are only for charging, not parking.

Volume.

When they allowed AOL servers to link to EFNet (IRC), the neighborhood went to shite predictably and rapidly.

Put another way, when a community of 100 with 1 asshat becomes a community of 1000 with 10 asshats, the 10-fold increase in asshattery requires multiple approaches to reduce.

Hence the initial education, reinforcement, signage, and penalty collective approach.

A lot of effort for 9 asshats, but there you have it.

The car has to be unlocked or you need to have the key on you

It doesn’t matter when you hit the button on the charging cable. I’ve plugged my car in many times when it is locked and I don’t have the key on me.

That said, you do indeed need to unlock the car to remove the charging cable. But that’s irrelevant to this conversation.

Most Model S owners are enthusiasts of some sort. Not many people go out and buy a Tesla without doing a fair amount of research. How many people thoroughly research a 328i and join owner forums, start showing up at enthusiast clubs and take ownership to another level? It's these same people who we're going to see scooting around town in Model 3s in the near future. I'm not saying all Model 3 owners, or even the majority are going to be inconsiderate. I'm guessing it will be a fairly low percentage, but like TaoJones stated above, when we have thousands, or hundreds of thousands of them on the road, the amount of inconsiderate people will drastically increase.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
It doesn’t matter when you hit the button on the charging cable. I’ve plugged my car in many times when it is locked and I don’t have the key on me.

That said, you do indeed need to unlock the car to remove the charging cable. But that’s irrelevant to this conversation.
My S acts the way you are discussing here - even if the key isn't anywhere in sight, I can unlock the charge port door with the button on the charger handle. My X does not act the same way. My X needs to be unlocked or the charge port door will not open. I often have to use my phone in the garage so that I can plug the X in, and never have to do so for the S.

Maybe it's a specific issue for my car, but I know @K-MTG also has an X so that could be the source of his claim as well.

Last edited:
My S acts the way you are discussing here - even if the key isn't anywhere in sight, I can unlock the charge port door with the button on the charger handle. My X does not act the same way. My X needs to be unlocked or the charge port door will not open. I often have to use my phone in the garage so that I can plug the X in, and never have to do so for the S.

Maybe it's a specific issue fo my car, but I know @K-MTG also has an X so that could be the source of his claim as well.

This is interesting....is this the case with the newer S as well??

Maybe it's a specific issue for my car, but I know @K-MTG also has an X so that could be the source of his claim as well.

Doesn’t the X use BT with the key vs the S? Maybe that is the difference?

I noticed on the screenshot from the Model 3 owners manual, it says the car must be unlocked or have the authenticated phone nearby.

So my dreams of being able to “helpfully” plug in supercharger parking offenders is only useful for the Model S. Ah well. Probably for the best. ;)

Yet another thing I won't have to worry about since I'll be charging at home like our dark master Cthulhu intended. Only places I'll need supercharging won't likely have anyone parking there unless they legitimately need to charge between cities, not because they're out shopping or something.

Edit: Except in Tahoe. That might get weird occasionally but I think charging to 90% in Truckee on the way in should solve that, even with remote heating and getting around for the weekend…

/smug

As Tesla tries to solve the urban charging scene, abuse will increase.

So like you, with home charging and only occasional SC use between cities, I also feel pretty smug.

I did a drive by (not in the "holding a gun out the window and firing" sense, just literally driving by) on the Mountain View charger recently and was flabbergasted at the line of people waiting to use it. I will happily go and use a paid Level2 charger at a grocery store or something before I subject myself to that if I find myself on an extended trip out of town in an urban area or something.

I have a X and park close to a older S in my condo. Everytime I press my cable to open my port , I also open the S port which is definetly locked. So I have to open mine from inside or from the Keyfob.

I think the real issue at hand isn't the charge port door, but rather, will a locked car allow you to fully insert the charging handle and start charging? There is a lock pin that prevents someone from removing the handle from a locked car. Does that same pin extend to prevent someone from inserting the handle into a locked car (assuming the charge port door is open or openable).

I assert that yes, that lock pin is extended whenever the car is locked, and someone would not be able to plug in the handle (again, assuming the charge port door is opened) to a locked car.

If you've ever charged at Syosset, NY all the cars in the vicinity of the four charge stalls all have their ports open, I think the RF from the charging handle is super strong in those older model (original) stalls. And those cars are all locked.

Reactions: jkennebeck
Pressing the button on a charger handle will open the charge port for every car within range, whether or not the car is locked.
I disagreed with you, but then I went outside and validated whether or not this worked how you said it does...Needless to say, you're correct.

If anyone says "video or it didn't happen," well here ya go...

I think the real issue at hand isn't the charge port door, but rather, will a locked car allow you to fully insert the charging handle and start charging? There is a lock pin that prevents someone from removing the handle from a locked car. Does that same pin extend to prevent someone from inserting the handle into a locked car (assuming the charge port door is open or openable).

I assert that yes, that lock pin is extended whenever the car is locked, and someone would not be able to plug in the handle (again, assuming the charge port door is opened) to a locked car.

If you've ever charged at Syosset, NY all the cars in the vicinity of the four charge stalls all have their ports open, I think the RF from the charging handle is super strong in those older model (original) stalls. And those cars are all locked.

I don't have a SC nearby to check there also, but your assumption is definitely wrong as it relates to home charging. See my video above, as I didn't have the key anywhere near me and the vehicle was fully locked (mirrors folded, handles locked, etc.).