Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh dear... someone concocted a hybrid Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can drive just about anywhere in the US with my 3 with no range issue and no inconvenience. I simply don't see any issue. I know many people that do not own a home EVSE and they have no issues. I drive in all conditions, over mountains, state parks and in winter, no concerns. For a person with an S there is a bonus 70 miles. I think the range issue is nonsense now.

The time it takes to charge is too much. What to do at that time? I don't like eating in the restaurant where the charger is located. So I have to waste 40 minutes which charging and then go elsewhere to eat. That wastes time.
And not all hotels have charging stations during travel.
I rented a tesla for 5 days during a long trip to test of if EV would work. If only tesla has built several battery replacement stations instead of charging, it would have been good.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
The time it takes to charge is too much. What to do at that time? I don't like eating in the restaurant where the charger is located. So I have to waste 40 minutes which charging and then go elsewhere to eat. That wastes time.
And not all hotels have charging stations during travel.
I rented a tesla for 5 days during a long trip to test of if EV would work. If only tesla has built several battery replacement stations instead of charging, it would have been good.

Which Tesla did you rent? Battery swapping is nonsense, If you rented a model 3 LR and charged properly you would find that the time to stop on a trip is almost moot and If you charge improperly like 290-100% or at high SOC you would be wasting time. I can do very long distances more than 400 miles with stops that are no longer than my typical stops with a gas car. Are you driving more than 400 miles a day frequently? What exact route do you travel?

I can see how this might help some who travel long distances with time constraints, such as salesmen etc, to go electric in the now rather than wait for battery / charging speed improvements in the future. It still has the issue of particulates though. I'm more concerned about the health impact than I am about cost savings or the environment at large.

If you're replacing a 1.9 litre diesel with this instead, that is an improvement; but I don't want hybrids to become a crutch for not moving ahead apace with battery / charging improvements.

Which Tesla did you rent? Battery swapping is nonsense, If you rented a model 3 LR and charged properly you would find that the time to stop on a trip is almost moot and If you charge improperly like 290-100% or at high SOC you would be wasting time. I can do very long distances more than 400 miles with stops that are no longer than my typical stops with a gas car. Are you driving more than 400 miles a day frequently? What exact route do you travel?

It was a P100D ( not the Raven). I stopped charging at 80%. Still, it takes a long time. What do I do in that time but just walk around and wait? I could have lunch, but there was no good food available near the station. So I had to charge, then go to a restaurant elsewhere. That's twice the time.

Also sometimes I don't like driving on highways as it's boring and try to take hilly and curvy roads. It would be much more distance but it's fun. But there are no superchargers in non highway roads.

It was a P100D ( not the Raven). I stopped charging at 80%. Still, it takes a long time. What do I do in that time but just walk around and wait? I could have lunch, but there was no good food available near the station. So I had to charge, then go to a restaurant elsewhere. That's twice the time.

Also sometimes I don't like driving on highways as it's boring and try to take hilly and curvy roads. It would be much more distance but it's fun. But there are no superchargers in non highway roads.

You state no details of your trip, frequency , etc. So why are you here if an EV is not fo you? Certainly a Taycan is far worse based on your statements. If you think a roadster won't work they you really are out of luck. So it looks like no EV will meet your needs. Looks like an ICE is better for you.

Last edited:
They should have done this with a Model S back in 2013-14.

Way too late to the party. Euro Supercharger networks are growing; Fast-Ned as well as Tesla. Cell chemistry is improving. Since dieselgate almost all the big players have their own alt-powertrain programs.

Maybe one of them will buy the engine tech? Can't think of another reason to use a Tesla other than to make a lot of noise on the internet.

I can drive just about anywhere in the US with my 3 with no range issue and no inconvenience. I simply don't see any issue. I know many people that do not own a home EVSE and they have no issues. I drive in all conditions, over mountains, state parks and in winter, no concerns. For a person with an S there is a bonus 70 miles. I think the range issue is nonsense now.

Do you have a long range model 3? With the SR+ I’ve already mapped out one route in my home state that would be REALLY tight in range. It’s to a national park/recreation area just a couple hours from me. I would have enough battery (charging to 100%) to get there and then getting home would have me hit at like 9-11%. If the estimate is off a little bit at all, there is more wind than expected, or more AC/heat use I probably wouldn’t make it. There IS one DC fast charger in between, but it would be limited to 50kW max AND require the $450 Chademo adapter, which I don’t have. In addition, it’s in a horrible spot in a really small town and is about 2 to 3 blocks from the closest food place, which looks to be a family owned place that might be closed on Sundays.

My Model 3 is my primary car, a family member has a gas car, but it’s going on 10 years old. Obviously I would want to road trip with the newest, safest, most reliable car. I made the jump to electric because these kind of road trips aren’t a huge thing for me, but I know some families that do camping, national parks, beach, etc many times a year... maybe five or six times just in a summer. That’s a lot to give up or not use your expensive new car and instead you old less reliable one. $40k for an SR+ can still be expensive for many families, $50k for a long range is probably not even on the radar for them. If this retrofit was “cheap” at $2k to $3k then it might suddenly make the Tesla an option. It’s all about removing any obstacles from your existing life.

The range is there for day to day, it’s there for highway travel from city to city, and the supercharger network is fast.... but national parks and other hiking/recreation areas haven’t been built out with charging infrastructure as much, ironically these are possibly some of the must see places that people that care about the environment would want to travel to.

(and before people point out that there are usually 120v plugs you can plug into for a few hours while you’re there, I’m not taking a couple questionable reports on PlugShare as enough to plan the trip. This location I’m talking about had three or four people report there was a 120v or 240v that you could plug into near a remote unnamed ranger station. However, there were other people that reported signs specifically saying NO PARKING! and that it was for rangers only and if the ranger was there they were told to move and they couldn’t use the plug. I’m not about to roll the dice and I certainly wouldn’t if I was going with kids or something...)

Thats funny how non ev owners comment on how long it takes to charge and so on, its funny on a long trip in my sr+ how a trip to the bathroom and back to the car was sufficient for another 2 hours of driving before stopping again to charge.
I find it inconvenient now to stop at gas stations after owning an ev.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Well, it has the performance of a Porsche, so why not :) The front-look of the M3 is to my opinion the least attractive; with this bumper it looks seriously better. I’m in!
I never could get used to the front of the car. I really wish some company would come out with a nice rounded front bumper. I know UP makes one but it’s too aggressive for my taste.

Same here, looks good! Maybe a groupbuy?

can we seriously get one going? Has anyone reached out to Obrits yet?

3E2D734A-C697-43A3-8ADC-67018571B350.jpeg

Ok so it looks like Obrist is using the 981 Porsche cayman GTS bumper.

upload_2020-6-7_17-32-33.jpeg

I’m guessing they hacked up the model 3 bumper and molded on the cayman gts lower vent/inlet section.

anyone know a good bodykit fab shop that would be willing to take that on?

Reactions: hydro 481