Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh Deer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah that was pretty close. Hopefully wildlife detection and avoidance becomes part of the safety features at some point. But for now we just have to keep our eyes peeled for those damn forest rats.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Collision avoidance uses radar, which probably needs metal.
Autopilot uses the NN computer, but it is maxed out from trying to identity cars and people. HW3 may help.
I find honking helps get deer out of the way quickly. They don't respect cars, but they respect the horn.

that's actually a "good" deer encounter... around here there are 5X the number of deer that the official mgmt states is supportable by the environs. they dart out from nowhere with near zero forewarning or chance for avoidance. The last deer I hit, I never saw at all before the hit. I see several deer nearly every day milling about and about once a month I see one by the side of the road that someone else obviously had hit.

Close one. I had a deer run from the side of the road directly into the passenger door of a Toyota truck. It was never in front of me and no chance to brake. As a general observation, the current FSD/EAP features aren't tuned for single or 2-lane roads at this point, let alone wildlife avoidance. I'm not sure about AEB, but kinda doubt it based upon several posters' experience with deer. I hope it's added in the future, but there's a long ways to go with off-freeway driving in general.

Like others, I've had two deer run into the side of my vehicle over the last 20 years. I tried slowing and weaving out of the way, but sometimes there's just no avoiding a creature that wants to hit you. $3500 to replace two passenger side doors on my 2016 Chevy Volt. I can't wait to get the Cybertruck, because that might be deer-proof.

Like others, I've had two deer run into the side of my vehicle over the last 20 years. I tried slowing and weaving out of the way, but sometimes there's just no avoiding a creature that wants to hit you. $3500 to replace two passenger side doors on my 2016 Chevy Volt. I can't wait to get the Cybertruck, because that might be deer-proof.

I wouldn't be so sure if it will be deer proof. It looks like it will be able to block a 9mm bullet, according to what they said:

Tesla’s Cybertruck is made of the same stainless steel alloy that SpaceX is using for Starship – TechCrunch

While impressive, it only needs a few millimeters of steel plate to block a 9mm round. There's probably going a bit of dent if a deer hits a cyber truck from the side, but probably not as bad as replacing the whole door.

Collision avoidance uses radar, which probably needs metal.
Autopilot uses the NN computer, but it is maxed out from trying to identity cars and people. HW3 may help.
I find honking helps get deer out of the way quickly. They don't respect cars, but they respect the horn.
A case recently where a tree fell and two Teslas (opposite directions) braked just in time not to be smashed. Not sure, but did AEB save them from hitting the tree? If so, cameras and not only radar (metal) are helping us.