Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh Deer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A case recently where a tree fell and two Teslas (opposite directions) braked just in time not to be smashed. Not sure, but did AEB save them from hitting the tree? If so, cameras and not only radar (metal) are helping us.
Yeah - I saw that and wondered what happened there. If it could detect a falling tree (incredible edge case scenario) why not a large deer running in front of the car?

I have AEB on and it didn't do squat.

Not sure iof having it on full Autopilot would have been any better - but obviously not an option on roads like this.

Is it possible to harness the power of the high voltage batteries to fashion a rudimentary plasma weapon to vaporize threats like these?
Nah, you'd still hit a flaming carcass. At least your have a steak dinner while you wait for a tow truck.

The only time Emergency Breaking had ever engaged for me is just before an overpass trying to avoid a phantom vehicle aka a shadow.

Nah, you'd still hit a flaming carcass. At least your have a steak dinner while you wait for a tow truck.

The only time Emergency Breaking had ever engaged for me is just before an overpass trying to avoid a phantom vehicle aka a shadow.
I wonder if that is why the model X in England allegedly braked when the tree fell in front of it - the shadow got picked up?

I really do think the cars should be calibrated to stop if a deer (or human) comes on the scene as here though. When it fills so much of the video frame it should be obvious.

Does anyone know - are Tesla interested in situations like this? Should I communicate it to them somehow? Bug report doesn't seem to work in my car. As automatic warnings didn't go off at the time I don't think their servers will have this flagged up as a safety critical incident.

If there is a way for us to contribute to AP then i would be up for it - but maybe they already have enough data from their usual sources?

I've actually found the brakes to be very underwhelming, I keep telling myself I should upgrade the pads at the very minimum (the tires are not the issue, in this case) but they're not quite bad enough to get me to do it.

You realize changing pads won't stop the car any shorter, right?

Not sure why you say the tires aren't the issue- they're the thing that actually stops the car. Only surefire way to reduce braking distance is stickier tires.