Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohmman, you picked a grand time for your sojourn to the Rocky Mountains and Canada. The temperatures here in the Golden State have been through the roof, including the balmy world of the North Bay. The interior valleys have had overnight lows in the 76-80 degree range, and the highs have been 105-111. I believe Napa set a personal daily best over the weekend.

The good news is that starting Monday the temperatures will be dropping back to a more comfortable level--mid to high 90s, likely a couple of degrees or so cooler at your place.

Reactions: ohmman
Yes, it appears we missed quite the heat wave. Fine by me!

Climbing out of Merritt yesterday, I was chewing up some serious battery.. still made it to my destination with plenty of charge to spare.

IMG_4146.JPG

Today we head out of Canada after a thoroughly enjoyable and generous two day visit with @Canuck at his lake house. I suspect we will be coming through Hope around 11am-noon, and then we will be off to Burlington and the Seattle area.

I don't foresee any difficult stretches as far as charging goes until a few days from now when we are traveling the Olympic peninsula.

Today we head out of Canada after a thoroughly enjoyable and generous two day visit with @Canuck at his lake house. I suspect we will be coming through Hope around 11am-noon, and then we will be off to Burlington and the Seattle area.

I don't foresee any difficult stretches as far as charging goes until a few days from now when we are traveling the Olympic peninsula.
Sounds like a great trip.
I'd recommend staying close to the coast driving down Washington, Oregon and California... it's beautiful the entire route.
Quinault Lake is a nice place on the West side of the park.

Wow. Impressive. I don't think I have ever seen a Tesla Wh/mi number that high!

I posted a photo on TMC somewhere years ago with a Wh/m in the hundred thousand range.

I had accidentally charged to 100% at night and went down to the car, turned on everything I could -- lights, heater, fans, seat heaters, etc to drain down some of the battery. Did that for about an hour, and I think I got it down 5% or so. Upon driving a few hundred feet, that's when the Wh/mi jumped up to over 100,000. ;)

I wonder if the Sequim charger will be open by the time you get there? Too bad supercharge.info doesn't know when construction is complete.

Enjoy the rest of the trip; was hoping to meet up with you but the timing is off to do that.

My family's plan is to head to California perhaps late July, maybe then who knows. ;)

Today we head out of Canada after a thoroughly enjoyable and generous two day visit with @Canuck at his lake house.

The pleasure was all mine and my wife's. I'm already looking forward to your next visit. Let's see if that X and Airstream can make it here for some wintertime fun!... (good thing Tesla is building more superchargers).

P_20170624_084934_vHDR_On.png
P_20170623_092750_vHDR_On.png
P_20170623_204827_vHDR_On.png
P_20170624_084909_vHDR_On.png

Reactions: SMAlset and Canuck

Ohmman,

US101 is still quite the mess south of Crescent City. There are three spots south of Crescent City before you reach Klamath. Big Lagoon has a short stretch. Between Garberville and Leggett there are a number of delays for one-way controlled traffic. There are also a couple of places where the freeway is down to one lane.

Curiously, and somewhat appropriately, there is a one-way traffic operation on the frontage highway (old US101, now SR254) that crosses--get this--Ohman Creek. You must take that road and take a picture of the post mile marker with "Ohman Creek".

Ohmman,

US101 is still quite the mess south of Crescent City. There are three spots south of Crescent City before you reach Klamath. Big Lagoon has a short stretch. Between Garberville and Leggett there are a number of delays for one-way controlled traffic. There are also a couple of places where the freeway is down to one lane.

Curiously, and somewhat appropriately, there is a one-way traffic operation on the frontage highway (old US101, now SR254) that crosses--get this--Ohman Creek. You must take that road and take a picture of the post mile marker with "Ohman Creek".
Thanks for the route notes. We are indeed planning to come back 101 so I'll keep these spots in mind.

Ohmman,

If you are stopping in or near Coos Bay, the Egyptian Theatre will be showing "Singin' in the Rain" the 30th of June and the first of July. This is a cool old movie theater in the classic style of the '20s and '30s. To me they beat the daylights out of the multiplex theaters that are so sterile and ubiquitous. And I bet you do not have to suffer through 20 minutes of advertisements followed by 15 minutes of trailers.

I discovered it last September on my way home from Portland when they offered beer, wine and a movie. "The Big Lebowski" was shown. That was fun.

Or, you could take your kids to one of few remaining drive-in picture shows still around. There is one in Lakeport that I believe is still open during the summer. Then take the scenic route home down the mountain!

We pulled the Airstream up to Hurricane Ridge yesterday. It represented a 5000 foot elevation gain over 17 miles. We burned 1518 Wh/mi on the way up to the summit, which included a bit of flat driving from the Nissan CHAdeMO. On the way back down, we averaged -598 Wh/mi and added 30 miles of range.

I plan to dissect the data from TeslaFi and adjust for actual consumption to see if I can get a decent "rule of thumb" for elevation change consumption. That'll be once we are home.

Today we are making the stretch from Sol Duc to Aberdeen with stops to hike along the way. We are currently in Forks getting a boost at the RV park. $10 for 2 hours but I already popped the breaker at 40A. I'm dialed down to 30 for now.

No sign of the upcoming Supercharger in town.

X and Airstream at Hurricane Ridge.

IMG_4223.JPG