Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A related question: I'm wondering if you found your X rear camera of any use when towing. It seems like it would be because it is such an extreme wide angle view that it can provide some visibility of your X rear quarter area. Combined with a rear view camera on your Airstream I would think they would show you everything you need to see. What do you think?
I'm going on our first overnight tomorrow. I'll see if it's helpful, but my recollection is that I can see the front of the Airstream and some minor windows to the sides. I don't think it's useful for much else besides hitching the trailer (and it's very useful for that).

Adding to @JimVandegriff's discussion about the rear camera, I plan to do the work myself. I am wondering if I can't find a duplicate of the camera that the Model X uses and mount it to the rear of the Airstream. I'd have to run the wiring myself and create a coupling between the trailer and the X. If I could bring it to a connection point in the front of the vehicle and install a toggle switch, I could toggle between the rear view on the X and the rear view on the Airstream, seeing either one on the 17" display. That would be the ideal setup, in my opinion.

Thanks Ohmman. I was not aware of the 500lb hitch weight limit on the Model X. Will go with the Sport 22ft.
I think you'll be happy with that choice. The narrower frontal area will give you more range than with the wider Flying Cloud, and I understand that the 22' Sport is one of the most stable trailers to tow, easily besting the 16' Bambi.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Reactions: Rossy
If I could bring it to a connection point in the front of the vehicle and install a toggle switch, I could toggle between the rear view on the X and the rear view on the Airstream, seeing either one on the 17" display. That would be the ideal setup, in my opinion.

Well hopefully they will start making the camera switch kit again, they were taking reservations for a second run recently.

Reactions: Cyclone and ohmman
Forgive me if this product has already been discussed. This "Wireless" Observation Camera gets great reviews and they mount it on an Airstream for evaluation. This is same camera sold with the Safari Condo trailers only this is a newer (smaller screen) model. About 7 minutes into the video you see it mounted to the rear (upper) running lights of the Airstream.

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Late to this thread, but I'm glad to get confirmation of the energy usage, thanks for the info. I've been worried about the feasibility of the same airstream where I live. However that's basically the same energy consumption I get when it's between 0 and 32F outside, and we've had no problem making it between superchargers so far. Assuming we'll only be using it in warmer months anyway, it should work.

Our first trip is complete, with a nice warm-up to Wright's Beach Campground in the Sonoma Coast State Beach. Obligatory photos follow the detail. First, the summary:

Outbound: 51.0 miles, 29.4kWh, 577Wh/mi
Return: 51.0 miles, 32.9kWh, 646Wh/mi
Total trip: 102.0 miles, 62.3kWh, 611Wh/mi

I decided to completely drain the fresh water tank and pull it empty in order to get the tongue weight below 500lbs. I also loaded two 66 quart Sterilite bins full of our heaviest items and put them as far behind the trailer axle as possible - in the bathroom. After loading up the rest of the trailer, I measured the tongue weight at about 420 lbs. I lightly loaded the rear of the X (behind the axles) to ensure that wasn't added to tongue weight. I won't go into too much more, as this is probably better suited my weight distribution thread instead of here. Suffice to say, I felt I had probably accounted for the tongue weight limitations on the X, and doing so wasn't simple. Lesson to anyone shopping -- be careful on published tongue weight, as they are notoriously inaccurate.

The drive to Wright's Beach from our house goes through windy and hilly two lane roads, mostly. I dealt with traffic lights and stop and go driving near my home, and then again through Petaluma, but mostly I was driving near-constant speed on California Highway 1. The portion of Highway 1 that is inland has a speed limit of 55 and improved shoulders, and travelers frequently drive 65 and higher. I tried to stay right around 55, but found that when I'm not focused on speed, and paying more attention to hauling my trailer, my speed would creep higher. A few times I was closing in on 65 when I started slowing back down again. We stopped at Bodega Dunes Campground to fill with water, and went on to our campsite. I hoped the 6 mile very slow drive wouldn't be an issue with the added weight near the front of the axle.

I won't go into too much detail on the campground, since it's not X specific, but our site was sadly quite muddy from the recent rains. I didn't bother setting up camp outside of the trailer, just a mat to drop our shoes on before coming in. We spent the day at the beach until sunset, then returned to the trailer for dinner and games, showers, and bed. This morning we took walks down the beach and up over the surrounding cliffs before departing.

We were able to keep our furnace running all night, LED lights on, water pump running, radio, etc. I kept my eye on the voltage at the battery and found that so long as I had my 7-way connector attached, we were charging the battery. That was even with the X locked and "off". Hey, pretty cool.. or was it? Turns out that 10-gauge run is extremely ineffective, and it appears it was quite lossy along the way. I left for the trip with a full battery, used 62.3kWh, and returned home with 9% (22 miles of range). Where'd the rest of my range go?! Maybe through that 7-way, maybe not. I'll pay closer attention next time.

On the return, we stopped again at Bodega Dunes, this time to dump our tanks, then continued on our way. I kept my speeds lower but consumption was significantly higher due to (I'm guessing) the mild headwinds.

Overall, a success with some lessons to learn. First, continue to solve the tongue weight balance issue so that I can do it without using a scale every time I adjust, and also allow myself to travel with a full water tank longer than 6 miles. Next, figure out what's going on with the 7-way, and detach it if necessary (I have battery update plans for the trailer anyway). And finally, SLOW DOWN or use TACC more often to keep me slower, even on 2-lane roads.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Here are a few photos to reward your patience.

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

Last edited:
@ohmman , great review as always and awesome scenery.
I was wondering if you could help your water and tongue weight issues by carrying potable water in 5 gallon containers, stored to the rear of the Airstream, then filling the trailer's tank on arrival? How much water does the built-in tank hold?
Congratulations on the first trip!

I was wondering if you could help your water and tongue weight issues by carrying potable water in 5 gallon containers, stored to the rear of the Airstream, then filling the trailer's tank on arrival? How much water does the built-in tank hold?
Yes, this is definitely a viable option. I have looked at fresh water bladders as well, for example the 30 gallon variety of this one. The nice thing about the bladders is their storability after use. The other upside is that we could take the bladder (or the 5-gallon containers you mention) and go refill them while dry camping without moving the trailer.

The built in tank on the 22' is 20 gallons.

@ecarfan asked about the rear view camera on the X. I paid attention during this drive and can say that it provides very little benefit, if any. The mirrors really cover everything down the sides, including blind spots. One time at a stoplight, I was able to see the car next to me checking out the rig through the camera view. That was about it.

The only coverage that is missing with the stock configuration is behind the trailer, and I'm starting to try to source parts today to build my Tesla rear-view camera switch. I think it'll be a great solution with no aerodynamic penalty.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Our first trip is complete, with a nice warm-up to Wright's Beach Campground in the Sonoma Coast State Beach. Obligatory photos follow the detail. First, the summary:

Outbound: 51.0 miles, 29.4kWh, 577Wh/mi
Return: 51.0 miles, 32.9kWh, 646Wh/mi
Total trip: 102.0 miles, 62.3kWh, 611Wh/mi

I decided to completely drain the fresh water tank and pull it empty in order to get the tongue weight below 500lbs. I also loaded two 66 quart Sterilite bins full of our heaviest items and put them as far behind the trailer axle as possible - in the bathroom. After loading up the rest of the trailer, I measured the tongue weight at about 420 lbs. I lightly loaded the rear of the X (behind the axles) to ensure that wasn't added to tongue weight. I won't go into too much more, as this is probably better suited my weight distribution thread instead of here. Suffice to say, I felt I had probably accounted for the tongue weight limitations on the X, and doing so wasn't simple. Lesson to anyone shopping -- be careful on published tongue weight, as they are notoriously inaccurate.

The drive to Wright's Beach from our house goes through windy and hilly two lane roads, mostly. I dealt with traffic lights and stop and go driving near my home, and then again through Petaluma, but mostly I was driving near-constant speed on California Highway 1. The portion of Highway 1 that is inland has a speed limit of 55 and improved shoulders, and travelers frequently drive 65 and higher. I tried to stay right around 55, but found that when I'm not focused on speed, and paying more attention to hauling my trailer, my speed would creep higher. A few times I was closing in on 65 when I started slowing back down again. We stopped at Bodega Dunes Campground to fill with water, and went on to our campsite. I hoped the 6 mile very slow drive wouldn't be an issue with the added weight near the front of the axle.

I won't go into too much detail on the campground, since it's not X specific, but our site was sadly quite muddy from the recent rains. I didn't bother setting up camp outside of the trailer, just a mat to drop our shoes on before coming in. We spent the day at the beach until sunset, then returned to the trailer for dinner and games, showers, and bed. This morning we took walks down the beach and up over the surrounding cliffs before departing.

We were able to keep our furnace running all night, LED lights on, water pump running, radio, etc. I kept my eye on the voltage at the battery and found that so long as I had my 7-way connector attached, we were charging the battery. That was even with the X locked and "off". Hey, pretty cool.. or was it? Turns out that 10-gauge run is extremely ineffective, and it appears it was quite lossy along the way. I left for the trip with a full battery, used 62.3kWh, and returned home with 9% (22 miles of range). Where'd the rest of my range go?! Maybe through that 7-way, maybe not. I'll pay closer attention next time.

On the return, we stopped again at Bodega Dunes, this time to dump our tanks, then continued on our way. I kept my speeds lower but consumption was significantly higher due to (I'm guessing) the mild headwinds.

Overall, a success with some lessons to learn. First, continue to solve the tongue weight balance issue so that I can do it without using a scale every time I adjust, and also allow myself to travel with a full water tank longer than 6 miles. Next, figure out what's going on with the 7-way, and detach it if necessary (I have battery update plans for the trailer anyway). And finally, SLOW DOWN or use TACC more often to keep me slower, even on 2-lane roads.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Here are a few photos to reward your patience.

View attachment 210910
View attachment 210911

Where would I find your weight distribution thread?

Reactions: Rossy
I think the bladder is inside of the trailer behind the axle to reduce the tongue weight
Okay, so I assume one would place the bladder inside the trailer when empty and then fill it with a hose. Then later pump the bladder contents into the trailer tank.

But you still need a space in the trailer to keep the bladder when it is full of water. Even a 20 gallon bladder is pretty big, and at over 160 lbs not something you can move around when full. Even a 10 gallon bladder at over 80 lbs is too heavy for most people to move, particularly since it is not rigid and hard to get ahold of.

Although in theory a flexible water storage bladder sounds good, it seems like an awkward and unwieldy solution in practice. I would like to hear from people who have used them and better understand exactly how they do it.

Okay, so I assume one would place the bladder inside the trailer when empty and then fill it with a hose. Then later pump the bladder contents into the trailer tank.

But you still need a space in the trailer to keep the bladder when it is full of water. Even a 20 gallon bladder is pretty big, and at over 160 lbs not something you can move around when full. Even a 10 gallon bladder at over 80 lbs is too heavy for most people to move, particularly since it is not rigid and hard to get ahold of.
I think you're misunderstanding the way it could be used. The 30 gallon bladder is 36" x 36" x 14". If one were to use it to balance the tongue weight, a practice I believe is unnecessary except in certain heavily front-loaded situations, here's how I see it working. Place the empty bladder in the back of the travel trailer after hitching up and packing the trailer. In my case, the bladder would go in the bathroom. Run a hose and fill it between 2/3 and full. Drive to destination, hook up hose and 12V water pump, and fill trailer fresh tank from the bladder.

At this point, you've got an empty or near-empty bladder that can then be moved to the Model X. For continued dry camping, one could drive the X to a nearby potable water source, fill up the bladder, and return to the trailer to refill with the 12V pump.

When empty, the bladder can be collapsed and stowed under the trailer or in the frunk of the X, etc.

Perhaps you see a 3'x3' space being difficult to find during travel. I suppose, depending on the size of the trailer, it could be an issue. For the intended use (this thread, this trailer), there is a very satisfactory space in the rear bathroom.

I think you're misunderstanding the way it could be used
I certainly was. Thanks for the clarification. Now I get it!
For continued dry camping, one could drive the X to a nearby potable water source, fill up the bladder, and return to the trailer to refill with the 12V pump
And that is certainly an advantage of a flexible bladder. I would get a bladder just for that capability alone.
Perhaps you see a 3'x3' space being difficult to find during travel
Yes for your specific trailer I can envision how that would work. For the trailer I plan on buying I don't have that much space. I can see how a smaller bladder might work for me.

But the whole process of filling the bladder in the trailer before starting out, adjusting the amount of water in the bladder to get the right tongue weight, driving, then at the campsite pumping the bladder into the trailer tank, seems like a hassle that I hope to avoid.

But the whole process of filling the bladder in the trailer before starting out, adjusting the amount of water in the bladder to get the right tongue weight, driving, then at the campsite pumping the bladder into the trailer tank, seems like a hassle that I hope to avoid.
Yes, as I mentioned, I don't see it being necessary. There are other measures I can take to offset the tongue weight without that much trouble. I could see it being useful on a long, months-long cross-country type trip when the front under-bed storage is full of needed belongings.

I think your challenge will be to increase your tongue weight, not decrease it. So I don't think this remotely applies to the lightweight trailer you're ordering.