Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
desert bag.jpg

Ohmman, might I suggest procuring one of these for your travels around the country with your new Airstream? I would come in handy crossing the Great Basin in case the engine overheats. Pro tip: soak the bag overnight in water before filling it up. Then hang the bag on the front bumper of your car, just like we did back in the day.

• Funny
Reactions: Rossy and ohmman
Airstream imported 250 Mercedes Sprinter based Westfalia RVs in 2005. I have one and Airstream "upgraded" certain things and their work is an embarrassment compared to the Westfalia standard. I did work at another RV plant just out of high school in 1969 and the build quality was bad, lots of turnover, low pay, cheapest parts available.

Yes, as I mentioned - the fit and finish are worse than that on my Model X. Slightly.

I could take many photos that show quality work, specifically the riveting and the alignment of the panels. There are some very thoughtful design elements that work well, like the sliding/rotating/collapsing dinette table, the bathroom layout, hydraulic raising bed, the very solid and well built entry and screen door combo, etc. But still, the things I showed here probably shouldn't slip through the line. I did not see this kind of thing on @jackbowers' Bowlus Road Chief. Of course, that camper is priced at a very high multiple (4.5x) of mine, so maybe I shouldn't be so picky..

Truthfully, I look at the Airstream as my own project trailer so I'm not all that worried about it. If it turns out that the whole camper lifestyle works for us, I'll probably gut a lot of it at some point in the next couple of years and set it up custom anyway.

I spent time today taking measurements for a probable battery upgrade. Even if I do tether the Model X to the Airstream for boondocking juice, I'll still want the ability to run off of batteries alone for some period of time. Once I get a plan, I'll post details here.

Hi Ohmman, Wife and I are retired model S owners and have traded for new model X. We intend to travel across the USA (SC to SC) staying at campgrounds with our small dogs. I have been silently reading your posts under different topics for some time. You must realize many of us are very interested in your concise reporting and general knowledge. When I read of Jim's (Vandergiff) Airstream travels I must tell you I felt relieved knowing it can be done without too much compromise. The details Jim and you provided really highlight what we might expect in our future adventures. We will be towing a fiberglass travel trailer (somewhat aerodynamic) that weighs 2,650 lbs empty. We gave serious thought to the Safari Condo Alta but did not want to wait almost 2 years for delivery. Our new trailer will be ready in July.

The issue I would like to champion is the advanced Tesla Supercharger network in the USA. So many of us are planning to tow a trailer (after all Tesla does offer a towing package) that it is beyond me why Tesla does not put in their specifications for at least one (1) drive-thru stall at each new supercharger (when-ever possible). I think you will agree that ICE cars have drive-thru refueling stations and if enough of us suggest this, maybe it would become more common. it is not safe nor practical pulling forward into a charging stall with trailer attached and the other alternative (which seems to be favored) is blocking numerous stalls while charging with trailer attached. Jim mentioned he unhitched his Airstream in certain situations (to supercharge) & I think that should be unnecessary. Thanks again for you wealth of good information. Hope you agree with me.

Another suggestion, try viewing the Youtube video of Bjorn Nyland towing a 1600kg/3500lb caravan (Norway) and notice carefully his European hitch (2:11 seconds into the video) and side mirror extensions. Slick...

Still looks great despite the unacceptable fit and finish issues that I guess you must just accept. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff anyway.

I'm looking forward to following your travels and adventures and hopefully they will lead you to my neck of the woods.

Reactions: ohmman
The issue I would like to champion is the advanced Tesla Supercharger network in the USA. So many of us are planning to tow a trailer (after all Tesla does offer a towing package) that it is beyond me why Tesla does not put in their specifications for at least one (1) drive-thru stall at each new supercharger (when-ever possible). I think you will agree that ICE cars have drive-thru refueling stations and if enough of us suggest this, maybe it would become more common. it is not safe nor practical pulling forward into a charging stall with trailer attached and the other alternative (which seems to be favored) is blocking numerous stalls while charging with trailer attached. Jim mentioned he unhitched his Airstream in certain situations (to supercharge) & I think that should be unnecessary. Thanks again for you wealth of good information. Hope you agree with me
Scottie, thanks for the kind words and for tolerating my nonsense around here. :)

I am absolutely in favor of what you suggest. I do think it's more difficult than just "doing it" because Tesla has to negotiate the layout with the property owner. Remember that Tesla doesn't own those spots in most cases (Service Centers excluded). However, keeping them aware that there are more than just a few of us who are interested in "easy" charging with a trailer is important.

I emailed the Supercharger team ([email protected]) in March of 2016, before I took delivery of my X (and clearly before all of the research and real-world experience from @JimVandegriff et al). My email said the following:

ohmman said:
Hello Supercharger Team!

I wanted to get in touch to make a recommendation regarding a Model X with a trailer. I have ordered my X with the towing package, and dream of being able to take a very lightweight travel trailer around the West. I haven’t verified, but I do think between RV sites and Superchargers, I’ll be able to make it work. That said, most Supercharger locations are not terribly trailer-friendly. The newer pull-through obelisks are more conducive, but in many cases there’s little room behind the vehicle for a trailer.

Detaching a trailer at each stop would work, but would be onerous and would probably be a big enough barrier that people would choose to haul with an ICE.

I thought of a few possible ways to deal with this. In select locations, you could put a charger to the left of the bank of chargers but leave 1-2 parking spots vacant between. As long as there are spots to the left of that charger, someone with a trailer could parallel across the spots. This only works where there is a lot of space, and the spots are in a low risk of being ICEd. You could also just have trailer-specific spots with signage indicating that they are to be used last by standalone Teslas (without trailer).

Obviously you guys will have your own ideas. I just wanted to remind you that there are some of us who would like to take electric travel trailer camping trips in our Model X. I have started to put together a list of trailer-friendly Supercharger locations on the TMC forum - that is, ones that currently support charging without disconnect.

Thanks for your continued work on the network. Looking forward to seeing that I-80 corridor lit.. ;-)

They responded:

Tesla Supercharger Team said:
Thank you for your email and feedback. Though there are many factors which can influence the site layout, we do strive to design stations that allow for a variety of mobility.

We certainly appreciate your suggestion and we will keep trailers in mind when designing future sites. Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team
Boilerplate-ish, but certainly recognition of my trailer request.

The more people that email with their own trailer suggestions and needs, the better. I suggest emailing them as soon as possible, and stating in your own words what you think works best. Most importantly, let them know that you'll be Supercharging, and you'll have a trailer. ICE vehicles don't have to unhitch to gas up. We shouldn't either.

Thanks for sharing the fit and finish details - much appreciated! I agree with other posters that the caulking and Formica cuts are completely bush league - I'd expect better from Airstream, even at a lower price point.

But your compliments balance out well. We are only seeing the stuff you don't like and not all the great parts of the trailer. Good luck on your adventures!

No mods to the dinette. We put the kids head to toe in sleeping bags today as a test, and also tried putting my daughter on the floor on a sleeping pad between the entry door and the closet. The latter is an easier solution for me to step over her at night when going to the bathroom. The downside is I'd have to keep the door to the bathroom open because she'd be in the way of the swing. Privacy curtain? :)

For now, we're going to have them share the dinette bed. It's narrow but not terrible. I'll continue to consider solutions.

I have the 7 pin adapter for LEDs. They had them in stock there and everything works as desired. I discussed your issue with the plug falling out of the Tesla and the techs were surprised it was possible considering the latch on the spring door. I assured them it was, and that you had taken to bungee cords. I'm going to follow in your footsteps and not relearn your hard lessons.

Thanks for the inspiration, both of you.

This is Illijana. Congratulations!!! My experience sleeping on the dinette bed led me to two modifications you might be interested in for the kids. After having the two small cushions practically end up on the floor one night (when placed on the counter side), I switched to putting the bigger center cushion on the counter side. It was better, but also slid some, so I attached a soft elastic band loop to the dinette center post to pull up and around the bigger center cushion when I placed it for the night. That puts a little pressure on the smaller center cushions against the sidewall, and works to keep all pieces in place, no matter how many times you roll over. And despite certain claims by one Patrick Botticelli of Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, this is still not a bed for two adults... (see his really excellent YouTube video on the Bambi Sport)

We also bought a twin size 2 inch memory foam pad for the dinette bed. It smooths out the bumps from the various pieces of dinette cushion. We roll it up during the day and it becomes a big bolster on the bed.

For when the kids are older and bigger, I have also been thinking about whether you could modify the dinette to lower its surface at night so that there would be room for some kind of hammock/sling bed above it. In my fantasy, the hammock would have to be attached to a two tubular vertical metal frames that would be permanently in place at each end of the dinette. Cross beams for tension might store above the top cabinets over the counter. Because the Airstream is built to be very flexible, you would have to figure out the appropriate attachment points to avoid stiffening key structures. Airstream has built lots of bunks, but the trick is to still have a dinette as well as a bunk setup.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Reactions: Rossy
When you make it to Delaware, PM me. Coffee/Ice Cream on me.

I will live vicariously through your posts. I would love to do something like this but my wife and daughter are less adventuresome.

This is Illijana. Congratulations!!! My experience sleeping on the dinette bed led me to two modifications you might be interested in for the kids. After having the two small cushions practically end up on the floor one night (when placed on the counter side), I switched to putting the bigger center cushion on the counter side. It was better, but also slid some, so I attached a soft elastic band loop to the dinette center post to pull up and around the bigger center cushion when I placed it for the night. That puts a little pressure on the smaller center cushions against the sidewall, and works to keep all pieces in place, no matter how many times you roll over. And despite certain claims by one Patrick Botticelli of Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, this is still not a bed for two adults... (see his really excellent YouTube video on the Bambi Sport)
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely adopt them. I am surprised the small cushions wiggle at all - mine need to be strongly jammed into place and have a tendency to want to pop back up. But I can see tossing and turning at night and how that would move things. I might get a friction pad of some sort to put underneath.

I have also come up with some ideas for a bunk that rests atop the existing ledge around the dinette. I would have to bolster/rebuild that surround, and would need a middle support that could be a hanger, if there is adequate support.

@K-MTG, the AC runs off of shore power at RV camps. Without a major battery upgrade, I cannot run the AC unless I have a 30A hookup. There is the "Fantastic Fan" which draws air through the cabin windows and out the roof. @JimVandegriff and Illijana told me they used that nearly exclusively on their trip this autumn.

@AlMc, a Delaware trip is a distant (badum dum) possibility. If it were just me and the kids, it would happen this summer. Fortunately, I have a wife who is much more sane, and I just don't see it happening for at least another year. I planned one out on paper, with all charging stops. It looked like 6-7 weeks and a lot of great destinations. I'll let you know when/if that occurs, for sure. ;)

Reactions: Cyclone
Jim, Are the model X mirrors (left and right) wide enough too see behind towing the Airstream, or do you need to attach tow mirrors?
I'm not Jim, but I know he uses the Dometic Milenco Aero3 towing mirrors.

I towed it home without tow mirrors and found the visibility to be acceptable for regular highway driving, especially if one adjusts mirror position appropriately. The Sport 22 is the only narrow-body Airstream in their lineup, measuring at 87.25" wide. The Model X mirrors extend 89.4" (albeit that number includes the housing), so coverage is decent.

I am planning to install a rear view camera to supplement my factory mirrors. I will continue to consider the Dometic mirrors that @JimVandegriff uses, as they do appear to be the best choice for the Model X, but I would like to limit my aerodynamic drag. So long as my safety doesn't feel compromised, I will continue with the stock mirror/rear camera setup.

Thanks Ohmman, I am considering purchasing either a Flying Cloud 20 ft or the Bambi Sport 22. The Flying Cloud is 8 ft (96in) wide so I am assuming I would need towing mirrors given what you shared on the Model X mirror extension of 89.4in. The Bambi Sport 22 may tow better for a Model X given it is narrower and about 400 lbs lighter.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Thanks Ohmman, I am considering purchasing either a Flying Cloud 20 ft or the Bambi Sport 22. The Flying Cloud is 8 ft (96in) wide so I am assuming I would need towing mirrors given what you shared on the Model X mirror extension of 89.4in. The Bambi Sport 22 may tow better for a Model X given it is narrower and about 400 lbs lighter.
The hitch weight on the FC 20 is 631 lbs dry. The limit on the X is 500 lbs. I do not believe it is a reasonable option.

I'm not Jim, but I know he uses the Dometic Milenco Aero3 towing mirrors.

I towed it home without tow mirrors and found the visibility to be acceptable for regular highway driving, especially if one adjusts mirror position appropriately. The Sport 22 is the only narrow-body Airstream in their lineup, measuring at 87.25" wide. The Model X mirrors extend 89.4" (albeit that number includes the housing), so coverage is decent.

I am planning to install a rear view camera to supplement my factory mirrors. I will continue to consider the Dometic mirrors that @JimVandegriff uses, as they do appear to be the best choice for the Model X, but I would like to limit my aerodynamic drag. So long as my safety doesn't feel compromised, I will continue with the stock mirror/rear camera setup.
We seriously considered the rear view camera option at the time of purchasing the Airstream. The Airstream tech did not want to put it on the vehicle since he did not know how to integrate it into the Tesla. This was early in the Airstream/X combination purchases, so they may be more comfortable with it now, or a third party may be more willing.
We love the Dometic mirrors. They give a great view of the back of the trailer and have been trouble free. Looking forward to seeing your setup, ohmman.

• Informative
Reactions: NHK X and Rossy
I am planning to install a rear view camera to supplement my factory mirrors. I will continue to consider the Dometic mirrors that @JimVandegriff uses, as they do appear to be the best choice for the Model X, but I would like to limit my aerodynamic drag.
Interested to learn that you didn't feel add-on mirrors were essential when towing your 87.5" wide Airstream. The Safari Condo Alto F1743 I will be getting in early 2018 is 96" wide and it would be great not to have to use add-on mirrors so as to avoid that additional drag.

A related question: I'm wondering if you found your X rear camera of any use when towing. It seems like it would be because it is such an extreme wide angle view that it can provide some visibility of your X rear quarter area. Combined with a rear view camera on your Airstream I would think they would show you everything you need to see. What do you think?