Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow. I thought with the decrease in the wind and cooler temps that the fire would be more under control by now. How close are you to areas that are under mandatory evacuation?

Your Airstream may prove more useful to you and your family than you could have ever imagined. Keep us posted...

EDIT: I just read Bad-news weather forecast for Wine Country: High winds returning

Quote: The offshore gales that propelled massive blazes in Wine Country will return Wednesday night and Thursday, increasing the risk of fires in the North Bay, according to the National Weather Service...A cold front is bringing winds expected to hit 30 mph or stronger, with gusts up to 45 mph, especially in the hills. The winds will be coming from the northeast rather than the typical onshore pattern off the ocean...The weather service warned that any fires that ignite will escalate rapidly, and asked people to refrain from outdoor burning. The blustery winds could topple power lines and touch off new fires, the weather service warned.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
We’ve been flirting with an unplanned “adventure” due to the wildfires. Everything is packed and ready. I unhitched today thinking we were out of danger but things have turned again so I’m preparing for the worst again.

For those of you following the Sonoma and Napa fires, it’s amazing how complex these have been.

Photo from just now. Mayacamas ridge looking east.

View attachment 253227
Stay charged and be ready. We hope you won’t have to evacuate. Wish you the best

• Helpful
Reactions: TigaFF and ohmman
We’ve been flirting with an unplanned “adventure” due to the wildfires. Everything is packed and ready. I unhitched today thinking we were out of danger but things have turned again so I’m preparing for the worst again.

For those of you following the Sonoma and Napa fires, it’s amazing how complex these have been.

View attachment 253227

You can actually see the flames!!! Hopefully you won't have to evacuate...bioweapon defense mode should take care of the air quality.

I am near the fire in SoCal...it is no longer a threat in my area but this is how it looked like yesterday.

IMG_3502.JPG

Getting around the Olympic Peninsula was not exactly smooth. I knew I wanted to climb to Hurricane Ridge, and since Sequim was not yet open I was able to charge at a CHAdeMO at a Nissan dealership. That night, we camped at Sol Duc, which has full hook ups and 50 amp service. We left with a full charge, and stopped in Forks at the RV park. There was some trouble charging as the breaker continue to flip off. I knew that the Kalaloch campground had a 14-50 listed on PlugShare. I also knew that it would be a risk whether or not I could charge there, but eventually decided we would give it a shot. One hour there while walking the beach would give us enough breathing room to make it to Aberdeen.

I found the plug, plugged in, and was immediately approached by a ranger who told me to unplug. Her words to me were, "you are stealing from the federal government." I explained that I would be happy to drop money in the campground slot, and described what I was trying to accomplish with this trip. She was having none of it and was adamantly opposed to my doing anything relating to getting power from that campsite.

I don't know what they used that 14-50 for but I just checked and it's not listed on plugshare anymore. Now that location lists 4x 120v plugs as the only usable source of electricity.

edit: I saw their response in your follow up post, appears the supervisor doesn't understand the meaning of the word "downloaded".

It's worth posting that I received a response from the Park Service. I appreciated the response and reaction, though I certainly would have enjoyed some reference to their desire to future accommodate EV owners. Regardless, I do feel better about the interaction after receiving this, and I was impressed with their follow-up on PlugShare.

View attachment 243590

Last edited:
Re the fires: Only been following this in the paper, GF is from California, and is another right mess. :( Best of luck to you and all out there!

As for the power, in our slight experience with NPS locations, we’ve found private vendors the best answer, like Skyland at Shenandoah National Park. An HPWC and 1772 (part of the destination charger program, I assume, on PlugShare).

Hoping for a change at the national level....!

Last edited:

View attachment 253227
I've been worried about you.
Stay safe.
It will probably be at least a few more days before things are under control.
Good to see that you're ready.
If you need a place to stay, PM me. We're at Tahoe and have room for the trailer and people. No fire here yet.

Thanks all for the well wishes. We will face the biggest test today as winds shift to NNE and gusty around noon. That photo was looking NNE from the house, so it’s definitely an unwelcome change. I plan to hitch back to the Airstream just in case.

I’ve got everything ready, and both cars charged. I’m even holding the X at 95% which is giving me a bit of battery anxiety. ;)

I feel much more for those who have nowhere to go and no way to get there anyway. Our community has been very giving so far, though, and food and water are at a surplus in Sonoma. I hope @Merrill is also doing OK.

Thanks again.

Thanks all for the well wishes. We will face the biggest test today as winds shift to NNE and gusty around noon. That photo was looking NNE from the house, so it’s definitely an unwelcome change. I plan to hitch back to the Airstream just in case.

I’ve got everything ready, and both cars charged. I’m even holding the X at 95% which is giving me a bit of battery anxiety. ;)

I feel much more for those who have nowhere to go and no way to get there anyway. Our community has been very giving so far, though, and food and water are at a surplus in Sonoma. I hope @Merrill is also doing OK.

Thanks again.
If there is anything we can do for you, let us know. Thinking of you and your family, Jim and Illijana

We’ve been evacuated. I’ll update later.

We're thinking about you and we wish you and your family well. If there's anything we can do to help, just ask.

You probably know this but just in case: your homeowner insurance will likely cover your additional living expenses (ALE) provided there was a mandatory evacuation order issued. Call and report your claim and get a claim number asap since the claims departments will be overloaded so the earlier you call the better, especially if your claim ends up going beyond just ALE. Also remember to keep all of your receipts for meals, accommodations, gas (jk!), and any other additional expense that you would not have occurred but for the evacuation order.