Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu battery installation by mobile ranger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how old was your battery? tesla charged $250 in my area as well. its possible yours was prorated for failing prematurely.

original battery that came from the factory. car will be 3 years old at the end of july (so just short of 3 years right now). the invoice states proactive replacement due to the message coming up on screen, but it doesn't say anything about premature failure nor anything being prorated. the invoice states 1 unit (battery) @ $85 under the parts section.

edit: they charged $85 for the battery and $29.25 (at a $195 hourly rate) for the install. that seems appropriate, considering he was in and out within 10 minutes or so. plus $7.44 tax = $121.69 total.

edit 2: sorry, mine is for the model 3 (i was looking for reviews of the ohmmu battery and didn't realize i was in the S forum). i suppose they could be charging a lot more for the model S, although charging *that* much more seems excessive.

Last edited:
1) 17 pounds of weight savings on a 5,000-lb vehicle is the definition of irrelevant. Especially when it's not unsprung weight.

2) Other than a vocal minority on this and other forums, most people generally tend to get about the same service life out of the current Tesla factory 12v batteries. Paying 3-4x times more for the same service life doesn't make any mathematical sense at all. Especially when there is zero performance gain during that service life. Oh, and you have to do the labor yourself for the honor of only paying 3-4x more for roughly the same service life.

3) It's snake oil in the sense of slapping it in a car that wasn't designed for it in the first place. It's going to require some sort of battery management system to compensate for the fact that lithium-ion battery cells require a very specific temperature range to function properly. Without engineering a car from the beginning with one in mind it doesn't make sense.
The Ohmmu battery have a built in BMS (Battery Management System)

The Ohmmu battery have a built in BMS (Battery Management System)
The BMS is an Ohmmu 12v battery is similar to what you find in a $10 rechargeable battery found in a cordless tool. It's main function is to prevent overcharging and running completely flat. There is zero provisions contained within to actually increase or decrease battery cell temperatures which is an important hurdle Tesla cleared in keeping Lithium battery packs at an optimal temperature in all North American weather conditions.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The BMS is an Ohmmu 12v battery is similar to what you find in a $10 rechargeable battery found in a cordless tool. It's main function is to prevent overcharging and running completely flat. There is zero provisions contained within to actually increase or decrease battery cell temperatures which is an important hurdle Tesla cleared in keeping Lithium battery packs at an optimal temperature in all North American weather conditions.

Have you then done a tear down of these batteries? Or do you know someone who has? Just curious how you would know this.

Have you then done a tear down of these batteries? Or do you know someone who has? Just curious how you would know this.
What makes you think you need to rip one open to tell it doesn't have radiators, coolant, coolant channels, fans and pumps? That's what Tesla uses to keep the Lithium cells in their packs happy in all weather climates of North America and even then there are compromises in very cold and very hot conditions.

It's crazy how we're still arguing that an Ohmmu Lithium 12v battery, w/o any sort of firmware management upgrades, without any sort of temperature management system (a real BMS) is somehow better at 3-4x the cost (self-installed) when it's expected lifespan is the same (at best for those in more temperate climates... less so for those who live in the other 80% of the nation) and it gives no performance gains during it's usable lifespan is somehow better?

Man, that is some good snake oil Ohmmu is peddling. Their marketing team deserves a crisp high five for the level of convincing they've done in the complete vacuum of testing or facts to convince a handful of people that this product will change their lives. Impressive.

I'll stick with my OEM 12v batteries that cost $250ish including installation and warranty from Tesla that have lasted 4-5+ years in the six Teslas I've owned living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. If there was a chance that this Ohmmu battery could potentially keep me from being stranded somewhere in the dead of winter where the OEM battery couldn't I'd be their target consumer. The facts don't support that. In fact, if you look at them unbiased you may be doing the exact opposite by adding a weak link into your system based on science.

The lack of firmware to support it should be enough to convince you of that. But I guess I'm just supposed to overlook firmware on a Tesla like it's not important too, right?

What makes you think you need to rip one open to tell it doesn't have radiators, coolant, coolant channels, fans and pumps? That's what Tesla uses to keep the Lithium cells in their packs happy in all weather climates of North America and even then there are compromises in very cold and very hot conditions.

It's crazy how we're still arguing that an Ohmmu Lithium 12v battery, w/o any sort of firmware management upgrades, without any sort of temperature management system (a real BMS) is somehow better at 3-4x the cost (self-installed) when it's expected lifespan is the same (at best for those in more temperate climates... less so for those who live in the other 80% of the nation) and it gives no performance gains during it's usable lifespan is somehow better?

Man, that is some good snake oil Ohmmu is peddling. Their marketing team deserves a crisp high five for the level of convincing they've done in the complete vacuum of testing or facts to convince a handful of people that this product will change their lives. Impressive.

I'll stick with my OEM 12v batteries that cost $250ish including installation and warranty from Tesla that have lasted 4-5+ years in the six Teslas I've owned living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. If there was a chance that this Ohmmu battery could potentially keep me from being stranded somewhere in the dead of winter where the OEM battery couldn't I'd be their target consumer. The facts don't support that. In fact, if you look at them unbiased you may be doing the exact opposite by adding a weak link into your system based on science.

The lack of firmware to support it should be enough to convince you of that. But I guess I'm just supposed to overlook firmware on a Tesla like it's not important too, right?
I installed 10 12v, 105a lithium batteries in my 5th wheel as part of a 1,000W solar panel install and each battery does have a BMS system that does monitor the temperature and doesn't allow the battery to take a charge below 32F, monitors the voltage, etc, everything the Tesla BMS does. They are nothing like a $10 rechargeable battery found in a cordless tool. The biggest draw back I see with the 12V Lithium battery in a vehicle is the cold. If I were to use my 5th wheel in the winter I would have to heat the batteries and the bay and the Tesla has no way to keep the 12V Lithium battery warm. You can use the power in a lithium battery in the cold, but you can't charge a lithium battery below 32F without damaging it, that is why the BMS in each of my 10 lithium batteries will not allow the batteries to accept a charge below 32F. Also the phantom power drains will drain a lithium battery just like other batteries. But the biggest difference between my Lithium batteries and my old deep cell golf cart type of batteries is I can leave them in the RV all winter and not loose any charge as long as they are completely isolated from any phantom drains, where the deep cycle batteries had to be removed and kept on a trickle charger so they don't go dead just sitting there.