Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK, so...did everyone get their cars by the end of 2019?

For those that ordered by the cut-off of December 8, did you receive your Model 3 by end of year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I’m being a little slow here, but I’m still not following your point. Are you suggesting that Tesla will continue to sell as many cars as they can produce without offering any discounts, price drops, or other incentives because their demand is so strong?

Generally yes, it certainly seems that way. They clearly pulled some demand forward in the US last quarter, so I’d expect to see a softening of Q1 deliveries in the US as things stabilize, but with international demand remaining quite strong I can’t imagine any reason why they’d need to lower prices in the short term.

All I can say is thank God the federal tax credits are gone so Tesla can stop these ridiculous end of rebate shenanigans and people can buy their cars in a more ordered fashion.

Sadly I think we’re still far away from the end of Tesla’s mad quarter-end dashes to maximize their numbers for the Wall Street game.

Reactions: Transformer
Same story here, nope. :-(

I ordered black/black SR+ on Nov 24, wired over half as downpayment, had a VIN, MVPA, approved Sales Contract, etc.
I noticed @ 6 PM PST yesterday that the VIN had disappeared from my account page. (today that page is all blank except the car pic)
But my 8 PM appt still showed there yesterday, so I headed to the factory by 7 PM and was pulled out of line by a Sales Rep.
He immediately starts talking to me about an LR config, before even explaining that my SR+ was not yet built, as if I already knew that or something.
And yeah, I heard others having the same conversation about which LR would you like to buy instead.

And to pour salt on the wound, this morning, my Tesla app is notifying me that my batter level is too low.
The ID matches the last 6 numbers from the *new* VIN that showed up last night about 11:30 PM.

Pretty disappointing.
If I may ask, Why did you put 50% down, sight unseen? Sorry to hear your delivery was delayed.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
my car is now missing online too. What a joke. Lets see how they fix this.
They will just offer you another one, when another one is built. Either yours wasn't built yet, or it went to someone else - tough to say. With Tesla, you won't see dealership like behavior, behavior like compensating you for your troubles or disappointment. It's just how they roll as there is a line at the door for these cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Legacy dealerships also will not offer significant compensation if your custom ordered vehicle arrives a few days late.

For the most part this EOY drama was caused by the US Government...Not Tesla.

It is the elimination of the residual Federal Tax Credit that is causing most of the consernation.

If not for tax reasons, most would not care if their car was delivered the last week of 2019 or the first week of 2020.

As an economist it's very difficult to explain Tesla not having to maintain price drops that matches the subsidies to maintain sales levels. Other than a broad answer is the good has low price elasticity of demand.

At face value it may seem so but consider that a drop from $3750 to $1875 in credits did not decrease demand (in fact it increased) so why would a decrease from $1875 to zero impact demand significantly? Consider that people are adding options (paint color, interior color, wheels). Even given the option of the short lived SR-, most people optioned up. The only thing that it would impact would be sales of options, which is what traditional car buyers eliminate to make a car fit within their budget. It likely will cause a lull in Model 3 purchases as now there is no incentive to purchase immediately and buyers can delay their purchases, but consider that it won’t matter to Tesla since the Model Y is going on sale soon and there is a pent up demand for that. That model uses the same production capacity as the Model 3 so it won’t matter if demand on the Model 3 goes down.

Last edited:
Did not get....ordered mid Nov....SR Plus, white, black interior, 18 inch.....in fact I have not heard anything from Tesla in 3 days.
Based on reading several forums posts, it seems like the lower margin trims were the ones not delivered. LR AWD and M3P were easily delivered. So, let's test that hypothesis.. Anyone have a delivery date for 12/31/19 canceled, where you had a LR AWD or P M3 ordered?

What Tesla is dealing with is way more complex than a simple supply/demand or pricing problems. Frankly, I wish Tesla management would communicate this to their employees, or even their customers, and everyone would be way more forgiving and be less in the dark.

Every quarter, Tesla has to deal with a very complex logistic problem, in a market that's extremely low margins, with an executive team that's way too optimistic on production goals -- each of the above compounds which creates this massive end of year chaos.

Logistics:
Keep in mind currently Tesla is only producing cars out of the US factories, but they have a global demand. In an ideal world, Tesla should be like Amazon and just ship the order out in the order they come in. However, Tesla cannot do that because shipping cars internationally is very expensive.

In order to keep their delivery cost down (because they are in an extremely competitive low margin market, they need to save every $), they have to bunch deliveries geographically. So this is why they usually allocate the first month of the quarter for all European deliveries, 2nd month for Asia, and third month for the US.

Low margins:
Tesla Model 3, and the soon coming Model Y, is meant for Tesla to enter the mass market -- now they are competing with BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda, Audi, etc, and enter a segment where margins are extremely low, and customers are extremely price sensitive and value conscious -- kind of self evident on all the complaints you see in this forum around why you have to pay for destination fees and premium connectivity.

Management team optimism:
Now, you coupled all of the above with a management team that's not seasoned Toyota executives, they are essentially still learning on the job. The most obvious mistake they made here is they factored in historical cancellation rates into their production projections.

With the tax credit ending EOY, there's an extremely low rate of cancellation. Let's be honest here, anyone can put a $100 order down, may be they should've raise that price to $1,000 so there are less people who would put an order down.

So now, you have one month (December) to deliver all the demands that accumulated from October and November, for the entire North America. With historically low cancellation rate, and a management team that thinks if they just work 24/7 around the clock (and they did), they can probably make sure everyone gets their car. If everyone goes perfectly, they probably could've, but we all know nothing ever goes as planned.

Tesla is not intentionally trying to screw up your order -- please at least take a moment and think about the challenges they are dealing with. Frankly, I'd hate to be Elon because this is a very very tough business problem to solve.

Last edited:
If I may ask, Why did you put 50% down, sight unseen? Sorry to hear your delivery was delayed.

Thanks, I was hoping it would help my chances, but maybe it back-fired, and actually hurt my chances.
I saw somebody else in a different thread here who wired a big down-payment and also did not get delivery.

Agreed, seems that the missed deliveries were SR+ (and of course SR) folks.
But like I said, some SR+ cars did get delivered, even some who ordered 10 days after me.
The LR inventory was plentiful last night when the Sales Rep offered to let me to buy one of those instead around 7:30 PM PST,
so it is unlikely that somebody did not get the LR that they wanted yesterday.

Sadly it would not surprise me one bit despite the chaos at superchargers as it is. Anything for that stock price.

What chaos are you referring to? AFAIK, there have been only two reports of long waits at a few supercharger locations. Both occurred in California in the past six weeks during the busiest travel weekends of the year, as a direct result of a major north/south artery being closed.

Tesla is doing everything It can to stay ahead of the increased demand for superchargers. Look at the supercharger map for all the locations that are planned and are being built. Tesla has many legitimate issues that are cause for concern, but superchargers and charging locations is not one of them.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Thanks, I was hoping it would help my chances, but maybe it back-fired, and actually hurt my chances.
I saw somebody else in a different thread here who wired a big down-payment and also did not get delivery.

Agreed, seems that the missed deliveries were SR+ (and of course SR) folks.
But like I said, some SR+ cars did get delivered, even some who ordered 10 days after me.
The LR inventory was plentiful last night when the Sales Rep offered to let me to buy one of those instead around 7:30 PM PST,
so it is unlikely that somebody did not get the LR that they wanted yesterday.
I had thought that might have been the strategy. I don't think it hurt you; more like there was some other factor driving how Tesa prioritized deliveries. Did you get a new date?

What chaos are you referring to? AFAIK, there have been only two reports of long waits at a few supercharger locations. Both occurred in California in the past six weeks during the busiest travel weekends of the year, as a direct result of a major north/south artery being closed.

Tesla is doing everything It can to stay ahead of the increased demand for superchargers. Look at the supercharger map for all the locations that are planned and are being built. Tesla has many legitimate issues that are cause for concern, but superchargers and charging locations is not one of them.
You must not live in California. Super chargers are constantly jammed here.