Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK, so...did everyone get their cars by the end of 2019?

For those that ordered by the cut-off of December 8, did you receive your Model 3 by end of year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine. Ordered 11/26. Black/Black LR AWD. Got text on the 30th asking if I would confirm if I'd come on 31st, so I confirmed. It said tentative 8pm pickup on the 31st. Somehow got a hold of an SA on the 31st at 1015am who said my car was getting washed and going into final inspection. Never got a, "Come get your car" text. Emailed my SA at 1pm and he told me to hang tight till I got the text. Showed up with my wife at 3pm in Fremont, and drove off with my car and VIN at 5pm, right as it started getting cold outside again. My car was sitting out there with window open because it wasn't even loaded into my app until 8pm when I was at home already. I really feel bad for the Tesla employees. The place was a mess, and the DMV systems were down in the morning.

Had a nice surf and turf dinner with the wife, paid for by my money being returned to me by the US government.

I lol’d. Basically every charger in the Bay Area, Sacramento, and urban Southern California is full every day, from dawn to dark.

Unfortunately true. There was a thread recently about owning a Tesla if you always have to supercharge. With the California superchargers always being packed that makes it really stressful to rely 100% on them for charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Unfortunately true. There was a thread recently about owning a Tesla if you always have to supercharge. With the California superchargers always being packed that makes it really stressful to rely 100% on them for charging.

There are two supercharger stations (both urban) in my town (Downey) and since I took delivery at the beginning of the month they have been consistently 90% occupied even at odd hours 3-4am.

When I took delivery I had thought I would charge on 110 to cover my daily commute and then go to the super for 20-30 mins to top off...

Charging at home, even with a ridiculously long and heavy extension cord has been 100% worth the effort. (14-50 installed on exterior of garage with 100' RV grade 14-50 extension cord attached to the 40a Corded Mobile Connector)

Reactions: house9 and tren01t
Problem is that so many of those packing the Superchargers are locals getting free or convenient charging.
Not many of them are people traveling through the area.
If everyone that could charge at home did so, they would be much less congested.
Even if they connected to slow 120V, it would relieve some of the load.

If the local high tech companies would provide at work charging, that would help as well.

Problem is that so many of those packing the Superchargers are locals getting free or convenient charging.
If everyone that could charge at home did so, they would be much less congested.

If the local high tech companies would provide at work charging, that would help as well.
I plugged my car in at 120V with the mobile charger to see what I could get. It was going to take 13 hours to charge 17%. I was getting 1kw/h.

Same story here, nope. :-(

I ordered black/black SR+ on Nov 24, wired over half as downpayment, had a VIN, MVPA, approved Sales Contract, etc.
I noticed @ 6 PM PST yesterday that the VIN had disappeared from my account page. (today that page is all blank except the car pic)
But my 8 PM appt still showed there yesterday, so I headed to the factory by 7 PM and was pulled out of line by a Sales Rep.
He immediately starts talking to me about an LR config, before even explaining that my SR+ was not yet built, as if I already knew that or something.
And yeah, I heard others having the same conversation about which LR would you like to buy instead.

And to pour salt on the wound, this morning, my Tesla app is notifying me that my batter level is too low.
The ID matches the last 6 numbers from the *new* VIN that showed up last night about 11:30 PM.

Pretty disappointing.
Man, this bait and switch game looks worse than other dealerships. I have never experienced this at any dealer.
At least the dealer ads say "1 @ this price". Not exactly like promise delivery by year end, then play dirty games to push ppl to buy the more expensive cars with the threat of losing the tax credit.

I lol’d. Basically every charger in the Bay Area, Sacramento, and urban Southern California is full every day, from dawn to dark.

Glad I could entertain you. Interesting that you parsed my response to make your point. I was mainly referring to long distance superchargers. That was a bit chaotic, total of two times now. Urban chargers are a different animal. Even so, "chaos" is not a word I would use to describe it. Those are jammed with owners taking advantage of free miles or the scattered few who can't charge at home.

Even so, you assertion is patently overstated, at least for the Bay Area. Here, some can be jammed "dawn to dark"... on weekends and holidays. I monitor area superchargers often, and I don't see the issues you describe.

And the buildout continues. In my county, there is exactly one supercharger location with ten stalls, and there are tons of Teslas here. So of course those stalls tend to be busy on weekends. Tesla has built two more locations in county and are waiting for PG&E to complete connection. That's 32 additional stalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer

Agreed. As more Teslas are sold without lifetime free charging, the crowding at many locations will get a bit better with additional stalls and locations. Even the Model 3s that have referral free miles only have six months to use them.

Man, this bait and switch game looks worse than other dealerships. I have never experienced this at any dealer.
At least the dealer ads say "1 @ this price". Not exactly like promise delivery by year end, then play dirty games to push ppl to buy the more expensive cars with the threat of losing the tax credit.

I keep hearing the term bait and switch on the forum and I don’t get it.

Tesla did not make enough cars to meet all of their demand. They seem to have been short primarily in the SR+ configuration so many of the buyers who wanted an SR+ were not able to take delivery by 12/31. But Tesla is still willing to build those cars and sell them at the same price that was quoted to each buyer. It’s not their fault that the government no longer wants to subsidize their cars.

If you want to blame Tesla for building fewer of their lower margin cars at the expense of the higher margin ones that’s fine. But that’s how a corporation that works to make a profit is going to conduct themselves whether we like it or not.

If they offered you a higher end model that was available in time for the tax credit that is just them trying to offer something in case you want it. They are not cancelling your SR+ orders or changing the price though.

I get the fact that SR+ owners were disappointed last night. No doubt it sucks. But the government ending their subsidy is the real reason for the anxiety here. Tesla just underestimated how much demand their would be for their cars. It happens.

Reactions: Sherlo
Glad I could entertain you. Interesting that you parsed my response to make your point. I was mainly referring to long distance superchargers. That was a bit chaotic, total of two times now.

I’m assuming you’re a new owner.

The events over Thanksgiving and the Christmas holiday, while severe and greatly exacerbated by the weather, are not unique - they’ve been problems for years now as the fleet grows.

I’m glad to see the expansion happening, with some long-standing gaps and bottlenecks starting to get addressed, but there are still some very big holes, most notably on US 101 and SR 99, where the “long distance” chargers are indeed perpetually clogged (see: Atascadero/SLO, Fresno, etc).

The novel approaches with the mobile charging rigs this year are most welcome, and I think the likely solution for peak demand management in the near term. But I also think there is major work to be done just to tread water, let alone relieve the pressure, and it’s just not true to suggest that there aren’t capacity issues all across California.

Reactions: goletaspring
I’m assuming you’re a new owner.

The events over Thanksgiving and the Christmas holiday, while severe and greatly exacerbated by the weather, are not unique - they’ve been problems for years now as the fleet grows.

I’m glad to see the expansion happening, with some long-standing gaps and bottlenecks starting to get addressed, but there are still some very big holes, most notably on US 101 and SR 99, where the “long distance” chargers are indeed perpetually clogged (see: Atascadero/SLO, Fresno, etc).

The novel approaches with the mobile charging rigs this year are most welcome, and I think the likely solution for peak demand management in the near term. But I also think there is major work to be done just to tread water, let alone relieve the pressure, and it’s just not true to suggest that there aren’t capacity issues all across California.

I can agree with that, but again I was referring primarily about long distance superchargers. My info is indeed limited to about a month, but otherwise is mostly anecdotal. From reading posts here and in FB, the situation has gotten worse, but nothing like what occurred over the past Christmas holiday and Thanksgiving. Even so, the sensationalism from a few media reports made it seem a lot worse than it really was. Someone who was at the SLO location was interviewed by a TV outlet, saying he was in and out in less than an hour, and they never showed it.

There are weak spots as you mentioned. US 101 is often mentioned as an example. Hopefully, between the buildout, mobile rigs and EVGO, etc. adding Tesla connectors, things will get better sooner than later.

Reactions: goletaspring
more like there was some other factor driving how Tesa prioritized deliveries. Did you get a new date?

Sure seems random, but must be some factor. My best guess is that there was an issue on the line with a batch of 'em, and they had to be worked on or restarted. I was surprised on the factory tour at how much manual intervention is involved, e.g. sanding / smoothing down individual panels that didn't come out perfectly smooth. It was actually nice to see how much love these cars are getting during production.
Moreover, they explained how some jobs are better fit for humans, e.g. routing a wiring harness through the frame.

I got a new VIN and new Loan Agreement, but the delivery date reverted back to:
"Estimated Delivery: 3 - 5 weeks from order placed date"

Same story here, nope. :-(

I ordered black/black SR+ on Nov 24, wired over half as downpayment, had a VIN, MVPA, approved Sales Contract, etc.
I noticed @ 6 PM PST yesterday that the VIN had disappeared from my account page. (today that page is all blank except the car pic)
But my 8 PM appt still showed there yesterday, so I headed to the factory by 7 PM and was pulled out of line by a Sales Rep.
He immediately starts talking to me about an LR config, before even explaining that my SR+ was not yet built, as if I already knew that or something.
And yeah, I heard others having the same conversation about which LR would you like to buy instead.

And to pour salt on the wound, this morning, my Tesla app is notifying me that my batter level is too low.
The ID matches the last 6 numbers from the *new* VIN that showed up last night about 11:30 PM.

Pretty disappointing.

I had something similar. Here's my story:

- Ordered SR+, 19" wheels, white interior on 12/10/19. Delivery Estimate shown on order page was "2 - 3 weeks".

- Went to the New Owners orientation. Got convinced to also order Tesla Solar on my large roof since I was assured that it was refundable. I then did more research the next day and found that my local utility -- Puget Sound Energy -- has just cancelled all incentives about a week earlier. I then called to cancel it since payback would take 16 years. I was told I would get a "case number."

- On Christmas eve, I got a notification on the order web page that my Tesla would be delivered on "12/30/19 at 5 pm." Happy, I cancelled plans for that evening to pick it up.

- Sold my current BMW 335i (got a much better deal through a local dealer than Tesla was offering). Now I don't have a car.

- Ordered the Charging Pad and Home Link Tesla accessories.

- Reached out to my advisor to confirm all the remaining info, as I decided to finance it via my Credit Union (I was going to pay in cash), letting him know that I saw the appointment date for the 30th. He wrote back "that's great!" and didn't say much else.

- Called Tesla again since my Credit Union on 12/26 and they needed the VIN, which I didn't have. Another service advisor said, "looks like they're working on it, but we don't have a VIN yet -- check back."

- Then on Saturday 12/28 the delivery date disappeared from the order web page and was replaced with "2 - 3 weeks" again. I immediately called up my advisor but couldn't get a hold of him. I spoke with another advisor and said that since I didn't get a text message with an appointment date, what was on web site was incorrect. I told them that they had my Land Line on file, not my Cell, so that could explain why I didn't get a text message. I then said that I was upset about possibly losing the $1,875 deduction. To which he immediately offered "you can cancel." I was somewhat miffed that he would so nonchalantly want to lose my business, He didn't offer anything else. I asked for my designated service advisor to call me back to confirm.

- That advisor called my land line from that nosiest phone connection I had ever heard (apparently on a private cell phone, as it wasn't a Tesla number). When I said I couldn't understand him hardly at all, he called back once but I still couldn't understand him -- he then hung up. I then called back the Tesla center but couldn't get a hold of him. He has yet to return my call.

- On Monday I dedicated to call the Tesla "scheduler" on the Tesla phone tree. The guy was nice, but basically said. "The factory switches to international orders at the start of the quarter, so you'll likely not get your car until late January at earliest."

- I called Tesla back again about why my Solar order hasn't been canceled (it still shows up on my order page). A rep said said "they're working on it."

To sum up:

- An ETA of 2 - 3 weeks is now turning into 5 - 8 weeks.

- I don't have a car.

- I lost the $1,875 deduction

- My Tesla advisor has not returned my call.

- I lost of ton of car shopping time I could have taken advantage of right before Christmas when I was off work.

- Tesla doesn't seem to want to make right with their misleading information nor values me as a customer. I can understand they swamped with orders -- what gets me is the incorrect ETA and pick-up date and time I was given. If I knew it was going to take this long and cost ~$2,000 more, I would have not ordered.

- And to rub salt in the wound, I'm not happy they're sitting on my $100 solar deposit that I cancelled two weeks ago. I also wished they would have let me know the Washington State solar incentives were cancelled; the dealership is served by that same utility.

So, I’m getting pretty fed up and am likely to cancel; but I’m already spent ~$500 on Tesla accessories. If they would simply make good on their mistakes it would make all the difference (say knock of some on the FSD that I’m planning to order after I get the car – since otherwise it would go over $45,000 in price and not get the Washington State ~$2,500 EV incentive).

Anyone else feel this way?

Sure seems random, but must be some factor. My best guess is that there was an issue on the line with a batch of 'em, and they had to be worked on or restarted. I was surprised on the factory tour at how much manual intervention is involved, e.g. sanding / smoothing down individual panels that didn't come out perfectly smooth. It was actually nice to see how much love these cars are getting during production.
Moreover, they explained how some jobs are better fit for humans, e.g. routing a wiring harness through the frame.

I got a new VIN and new Loan Agreement, but the delivery date reverted back to:
"Estimated Delivery: 3 - 5 weeks from order placed date"
What's a "loan agreement"? Are they giving you a loaner car until yours arrives? That would be okay.

I would agree with that. I wonder if the home utility rates in California are so high that people are holding back on home charging. I can see that I will soon end up in PG&E's tier 3 which will make it expensive for me to charge. I personally don't care, but others may. When it comes to the warmer months, the rates increase also.