Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK ... what is Tesla trying to do now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nah, wasn't me in those parts of the inter webs!
I know you are trying to help and comfort. no hard feelings. hope none on your part either.
Just wishing Tesla would be more transparent and give some hard numbers/estimates.
Yes, I’m sure Tesla could tell us an accurate timeframe. No company building that much for sale produces its goods in utter chaos. That means that :

1.) Tesla doesn’t care if we know anything or not.
2.) Tesla specifically doesn’t want people to know or all those who gave $100 deposits would walk.

Unless there is a new game show coming out called “Guess my Tesla” - I can think of no other reason.

The China factory is only for the Chinese market. So, you can take that out of the equation unless you live there. I waited two years for my car, so my sympathy level is a little low for those poor, poor, people that can't wait even a month or three. :D

And when I was a kid, I walked 20 miles to and from school each day!

Really, we are not “early adopters” like you were. We appreciate all the early adopters like yourself. But when we (most of us) ordered, Tesla reps and the website said 2-3 weeks. The website continued to say 2-3 weeks for many of us until about a week ago.

Many of us planned our lives (and cars) around a short delivery time. We had no reason to think there would be a long wait. I think it is safe to say we all had far different expectations than you did. I even bet that there is a sizable proportion of us that wouldn’t have ordered if we knew there was a 3+ month wait. The situation is and was totally different.

FYI, for those stressing about end of year deliveries.

I went to the SC to ask some basic questions about delivery and the SA looked in the system for me to get an idea of build times. I didn’t have a build date yet, but someone who ordered a performance M3 two weeks ago did and a delivery date set for the first week of December.

They said since they build cars in batches I should be good for delivery around the 2nd or 3rd week, which is what I want.

Since tesla ships regionally, it would help if we knew your location and trim.

You're off by a digit, but that's understandable. We all are so used to calculators that I miss a digit often! October 1 was around 30,000. Actually 109630000. I bet yours is 109720067 - or about 90,000 higher than October 1.

90,000 cars were therefore ordered worldwide since October 1. That's about right.

BTW - lots of us have had experience with custom orders. What we're used to is that custom orders are given accurate time frames (with reason). Tesla said 2-3 weeks to many of us for a very long time. Most of October was listed as 2-3 weeks for many of our orders. Well, Tesla wuz wrong!

And Tesla really isn't custom ordered like most cars. For Model 3 you get trim type (3 of them), color (5 of them), wheels (not really hard to configure - but 2 of them), and that's it. Options are kept to a minimum to keep it like a Chinese buffet. Its not like ordering a BMW with a ton of options or packages and trim levels. And it's not like they are delivered in order of RN sequence anyway.

I ordered a month ago (Oct 11th). You could easily get a car before I do.

its too bad your SA didn't give you good info ..

when i visited the tela showroom on 10/7 -- the SA told me that they were taking orders for december delivery ..

when i placed my order 10/14 my SA said to expect delivery in december ..

so even though the website said 2 weeks -- i was giventhe correct info by the SA .. which means that tesla knew and did let their customers know about the delay .. just not your SA.

Reactions: marnfl

when i visited the tela showroom on 10/7 -- the SA told me that they were taking orders for december delivery ..

so even though the website said 2 weeks -- i was given the correct info by the SA .. which means that tesla knew and did let their customers know about the delay .. just not your SA.

Or your SA has gone through this before with angry customers and surely thought that Tesla's own estimate was inaccurate and s/he might as well brace his/her customer's with the experience s/he's dealt with prior.

so even though the website said 2 weeks -- i was giventhe correct info by the SA .. which means that tesla knew and did let their customers know about the delay .. just not your SA.
Nope. I was given 2-3 weeks by a lot of people. I had ordered on 10/1, assigned a car for 10/8 or 10/9 pickup, but couldn’t make it on those days. Still was told 2-3 weeks and reordered on 10/11. It was stupid of me to assume that an easy delivery (10/1 deliver 10/9) would be followed by long wait.

I guess thats called living and learning. I now know that Tesla will pop a delivery date on you and you can’t be late. In fact, leaving town is a problem. The mad dash for Californians in the last 2 weeks of December will make earlier delivery rushes look like a picnic.

I wish Tesla would accept some notarized form to let someone else pick up the car -just in case. There are people I would trust to fo that. However, Tesla probably won’t allow it.

Northeast. Still learning the Tesla lingo, I ordered an Model 3 Performance (M3P+? Feel free to correct me if that’s wrong).

Some people call it M3P+ (model 3 performance with performance package). Many of us from BMW land call it a model 3 instead of "m3" but tesla lingo likes to call it M3, or M3P... some even call it a P3 (performance 3). Kind of all over the place.

Your screen handle looks familiar to me, and it sounds like you were / are over at some BMW forms too so thats probably where I have seen it. Im sure you will enjoy your model 3P when you get it. I know I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Nope. I was given 2-3 weeks by a lot of people. I had ordered on 10/1, assigned a car for 10/8 or 10/9 pickup, but couldn’t make it on those days. Still was told 2-3 weeks and reordered on 10/11. It was stupid of me to assume that an easy delivery (10/1 deliver 10/9) would be followed by long wait.

I guess thats called living and learning. I now know that Tesla will pop a delivery date on you and you can’t be late. In fact, leaving town is a problem. The mad dash for Californians in the last 2 weeks of December will make earlier delivery rushes look like a picnic.

I wish Tesla would accept some notarized form to let someone else pick up the car -just in case. There are people I would trust to fo that. However, Tesla probably won’t allow it.

Give someone a Power of Attorney to pick up and sign any documents. When you buy a car they typically have you sign a Power of Attorney allowing them to handle the DMV matters. Should not be a problem.

Give someone a Power of Attorney to pick up and sign any documents. When you buy a car they typically have you sign a Power of Attorney allowing them to handle the DMV matters. Should not be a problem.
Thanks. Last 2 weeks in December is a problem for me. I will be available on scattered days. Sometimes there are priorities in people's lives.

I think this is the hardest part of waiting - not knowing whether you will be available for pick up or not. That's why I'm not pleased at last 2 weeks in December for Bay Area cars. If I can't make it, the soonest it can be next is March.

Some people call it M3P+ (model 3 performance with performance package). Many of us from BMW land call it a model 3 instead of "m3" but tesla lingo likes to call it M3, or M3P... some even call it a P3 (performance 3). Kind of all over the place.

Your screen handle looks familiar to me, and it sounds like you were / are over at some BMW forms too so thats probably where I have seen it. Im sure you will enjoy your model 3P when you get it. I know I enjoy mine quite a bit.

As a long time BMW owner and owner of an E46 and F80 M3, I wish model 3 owners would call their cars MP3s or anything but M3. That name is legendary and shouldn't be used so loosely, but I know you guys don't care haha.

You're Name is familiar s well. Bimmerpost?