Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK ... what is Tesla trying to do now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA did the same thing, but I was unable to confirm anywhere in my account that the 1000 free supercharger miles were actually applied. Do you see that in your online account? For people who used a referral code without applying it after the fact, where do the SC credits normally appear?
I should also receive 1,000 supercharger miles (used friend's code - but he has unlimited?!) and my SA said it won't show up until you have the car and someone has to manually add the credits to your charger account after the fact. Anyone know if this is true? Who do you call?

Useful stuff here, had not idea about the cars being built in batches, but makes total sense when you think about it.

RN: 90668
Ordered on 10/27 (in-store)
White M3 LR AWD w/ white interior
From talking to the SA I placed the order with, and 2-3 other reps from the Fremont factory over the phone, I've been told the delivery for my vehicle should be early-mid December. I've also been told that production for the M3s should start back up early-mid November, and some of them might be built overseas (I guess in the China factory?).

Useful stuff here, had not idea about the cars being built in batches, but makes total sense when you think about it.

From talking to the SA I placed the order with, and 2-3 other reps from the Fremont factory over the phone, I've been told the delivery for my vehicle should be early-mid December. I've also been told that production for the M3s should start back up early-mid November, and some of them might be built overseas (I guess in the China factory?).
90803 here! Ordered on the eve of the 27th after my test drive in NYC.
Those orders are going through fast. Looks like the holidays are going to be very very busy for them.

From talking to the SA I placed the order with, and 2-3 other reps from the Fremont factory over the phone,
I've been told the delivery for my vehicle should be early-mid December.
I've also been told that production for the M3s should start back up early-mid November,
and some of them might be built overseas (I guess in the China factory?).
Really, does any Model 3 made at the China Giga Factory 3 wil be exported back to the US?

What woud be the 3 firrst digits of the VIN number for the Giga factory 3?

Tesla never ceases to amaze me. Looking at their ordering site today, I now see that Model 3’s are shown as “5-9 weeks for delivery” for SR+ and AWD trims and “7-9 weeks for delivery” for Performance trims. Yesterday it read “6-10 weeks” and “8-10 weeks respectively. This makes absolutely no sense!

I guess this makes me wonder if all these website numbers are just artificial at best. If so, this time next week will show delivery windows of 4-8 weeks and 6-8 weeks.

Makes perfect sense.

They build for markets in segments so if you order today you may make the N America builds, wait a week you may miss it and wait a month to start again... unless an order cancels and they can slide you into it.

Really, does any Model 3 made at the China Giga Factory 3 wil be exported back to the US?

What woud be the 3 firrst digits of the VIN number for the Giga factory 3?
No idea. But I was wondering something similar: if an M3 is built in China, it would probably take quite a bit of time to get here in a boat. Hopefully they just produce it in Fremont.

Being new to the Tesla experience. I don’t think those RN numbers are sequential. I just ordered last night and mine is 20067, and unless they sold almost a million vehicles this quarter the sixth number is meaningless.

I don’t need to take delivery until the end of December, so I’m in no rush. Those of you complaining about a month wait must not have much experience with custom orders. That’s relatively fast.

Being new to the Tesla experience. I don’t think those RN numbers are sequential. I just ordered last night and mine is 20067, and unless they sold almost a million vehicles this quarter the sixth number is meaningless.

I don’t need to take delivery until the end of December, so I’m in no rush. Those of you complaining about a month wait must not have much experience with custom orders. That’s relatively fast.

You're off by a digit, but that's understandable. We all are so used to calculators that I miss a digit often! October 1 was around 30,000. Actually 109630000. I bet yours is 109720067 - or about 90,000 higher than October 1.

90,000 cars were therefore ordered worldwide since October 1. That's about right.

BTW - lots of us have had experience with custom orders. What we're used to is that custom orders are given accurate time frames (with reason). Tesla said 2-3 weeks to many of us for a very long time. Most of October was listed as 2-3 weeks for many of our orders. Well, Tesla wuz wrong!

And Tesla really isn't custom ordered like most cars. For Model 3 you get trim type (3 of them), color (5 of them), wheels (not really hard to configure - but 2 of them), and that's it. Options are kept to a minimum to keep it like a Chinese buffet. Its not like ordering a BMW with a ton of options or packages and trim levels. And it's not like they are delivered in order of RN sequence anyway.

I ordered a month ago (Oct 11th). You could easily get a car before I do.

Imagine that Tesla is using internal data to produce and deliver as many cars as possible before EOY.

Deliver Europe/Asia via boat first.
Deliver US/Canada East coast next, as longest distance to Delivery Center.
Next the Middle states.
Then a final hetic push on the West Coast, where cars coming off the assembly line can be delivered in just a day or two.

With all the positive press lately, I imagine that orders are pouring in from most everwhere.

Imagine that Tesla is using internal data to produce and deliver as many cars as possible before EOY.

Deliver Europe/Asia via boat first.
Deliver US/Canada East coast next, as longest distance to Delivery Center.
Next the Middle states.
Then a final hetic push on the West Coast, where cars coming off the assembly line can be delivered in just a day or two.

With all the positive press lately, I imagine that orders are pouring in from most everwhere.

Can a car be delivered and in the owners hands from Factory to a place like Seattle or Vancouver BC in just a day or two? I'd imagine that it takes at least another day, if not more...

You're off by a digit, but that's understandable. We all are so used to calculators that I miss a digit often! October 1 was around 30,000. Actually 109630000. I bet yours is 109720067 - or about 90,000 higher than October 1.

90,000 cars were therefore ordered worldwide since October 1. That's about right.

BTW - lots of us have had experience with custom orders. What we're used to is that custom orders are given accurate time frames (with reason). Tesla said 2-3 weeks to many of us for a very long time. Most of October was listed as 2-3 weeks for many of our orders. Well, Tesla wuz wrong!

And Tesla really isn't custom ordered like most cars. For Model 3 you get trim type (3 of them), color (5 of them), wheels (not really hard to configure - but 2 of them), and that's it. Options are kept to a minimum to keep it like a Chinese buffet. Its not like ordering a BMW with a ton of options or packages and trim levels. And it's not like they are delivered in order of RN sequence anyway.

I ordered a month ago (Oct 11th). You could easily get a car before I do.

90,000 in a month doesn’t makes sense when they did 97,000 in the third quarter. But this is the kind of crap we talk about while we’re waiting, hahaha.

I agree, “custom” is used pretty loosely by Tesla. I’m coming from the BMW world and had a couple custom “real” M3’s (just a joke, I’m ordering a Tesla too, lol). Now THAT’S a wait...

Think it only takes a day or two to get a transporter to Seattle. Some truckers use a pair of drivers so that one can drive, while the other sleeps.

Last year the final couple days were pretty crazy with tons of people wanting to get the full Federal Tax Credit. The street was lined up for blocks with cars constantly being moved into delivery showroom, inspections done and last minute paperwork. They they were doing over 200 deilveries each day in Orange County.

Believe that if it will take an extra day to get up to Seattle or BC, they will send those trucks off a little earlier.
It was all hands on deck, with managers, service writers, sales people and even office workers from the rental department getting in the act helping out. I saw one of the sales guys restocking the mini fridge and K Cup coffee service. Others were sweeping up and refilling toilet paper rolls.

Tesla was even buying up their own fleet of car haulers to make sure that they did not need to wait for them.

A day or two? Tesla will have every delivery center deluged with tons of cars (what, a few hundred a day?) - with 10 min appointments scheduled from 7am to 9pm. It takes time and coordination to conduct the financial transaction, and time and coordination to activate the car for a particular key card and/or phone.

My guess is that Tesla will get all the cars mixed up. My phone will activate someone else's car. Hell, my car will really be someone else's car! I'll show up at 1:47pm for my appointment, and my car will be given to someone else. Or, I'll show up at 2:07pm and be given someone else's car. Expect a lot of things like this. And when they happen (it can be only 1 or 2 in a day to cause chaos), there will be lines of people waiting for hours - despite their 10 minute appointments.

Yes, I can picture Elon Musk in a Santa suit right now!

90,000 in a month doesn’t makes sense when they did 97,000 in the third quarter. But this is the kind of crap we talk about while we’re waiting, hahaha.

I agree, “custom” is used pretty loosely by Tesla. I’m coming from the BMW world and had a couple custom “real” M3’s (just a joke, I’m ordering a Tesla too, lol). Now THAT’S a wait...

Uh, 90,000 in 1 1/2 months is probably a little more than Tesla has been getting all along. Remember, these are worldwide deliveries now. Delivering to Australia is causing more Australia to order more. Causing a shortage in the US by holding back deliveries is creating demand. 90,000 is about right.

What more important is how many of these orders are real committed orders? With the new $100 deposit, anyone can order a Tesla on a whim. All they lose is $100. Dinner for two at a mediocre restaurant.

What more important is how many of these orders are real committed orders? With the new $100 deposit, anyone can order a Tesla on a whim. All they lose is $100. Dinner for two at a mediocre restaurant.

I agree with this. I’m 100% certain a lot of those orders will fall through. $100 is nothing to put down, but those monthly payments (and financing for some) are when things get real. Witnessed plenty of BMW forum “owners” disappear when it’s time to put the real money up.

Only other car I’m looking at is a loaded RS3. They will have to practically give it away for me to cancel my M3 order.

I agree with this. I’m 100% certain a lot of those orders will fall through. $100 is nothing to put down, but those monthly payments (and financing for some) are when things get real. Witnessed plenty of BMW forum “owners” disappear when it’s time to put the real money up.

Only other car I’m looking at is a loaded RS3. They will have to practically give it away for me to cancel my M3 order.
Hey that was what I was in between too. A loaded RS3 or the P3D. Keeping the P3D on order. The RS3 can go break-down somewhere else. The exhaust note is phenomenal though lol.