Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay to Supercharge regularly at 72 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's often said that regular supercharging is discouraged due to potential long term battery degradation. However, the outlet near my parking spot is currently down. I see some 250 kW and 72 kW (urban/city super chargers) near me though - would regularly charging with the 72 kW ones (for the time being) be okay since it's slower?

We have a 2014 model S with the old style battery, and we supercharged it once to twice a day for a couple years. Put over 200,000 miles on the thing, still on the original battery pack, almost no degradation. Obviously that's a one up ancedotal bit of evidence, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of problem with it.

I think we can trust the Tesla battery management system to take care of their battery. I'm guessing the new batteries are much better designed than that old 85 kilowatt hour battery was.

We have a 2014 model S with the old style battery, and we supercharged it once to twice a day for a couple years. Put over 200,000 miles on the thing, still on the original battery pack, almost no degradation. Obviously that's a one up ancedotal bit of evidence, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of problem with it.

I think we can trust the Tesla battery management system to take care of their battery. I'm guessing the new batteries are much better designed than that old 85 kilowatt hour battery was.

Model S has far less degradation than the the Model 3.

I dont think itll make any difference for the 3. 3s degradation seems to be time based, and not based on supercharging, kms driven etc.

The C rate is simply the charge or discharge power (in kW) divided by the energy capacity (in kWh). So, in the case of a long range Model 3, 72 kW / 75 kWh, or about 1. The larger the battery capacity, the easier it is to provide or absorb a certain amount of power. That’s all it’s trying to quantify.

A v3 (or 250 kW) Supercharger can peak at 3.3 C for the same battery pack in a LR Model 3. Switch to a Model S with a larger 100 kWh or a Cybertruck with an even larger battery and the C rate at the same kW charging speed is lower, and thus not as hard on the battery.

Edit: A Google query for “c rate for battery cells” comes up with some promising links to learn more. But, it really just boils down to how hard you are asking the batteries to work.