Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG that truck is fugly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something like this render would have still been unique but on brand...

salmon-tesla-cybertruck-rendering-is-probably-more-rugged-than-the-real-deal-139171-7.jpg

Someone over there has lost their mind if they think they can go this far off the "norm" and sell these to anyone but fanbois. Rivian and Ford are going to eat their lunch in the Truck department.

Luckily they still have the Model 3 and Model Y that should keep them at the top of the EV stack for a while.
I agree that Rivian must have been really excited about this reveal.

• Funny
Reactions: VRM3 and Remonster
That is the biggest abortion ever unveiled. Tesla is toast. Their vehicles are getting worse and worse. Drugs are definetly involved. Lots of them.

The Model 3 is a good car. And the Model Y looks to be on track to likely be one of the best selling crossovers in the world. And from what we've seen the new Roadster looks to be a pretty awesome little car. So I wouldn't say they're getting "worse and worse".

But this thing is hideous! I'm not even sure what they were thinking here. Tesla's whole philosophy has always been make EVs that look like normal cars people would want to buy, rather then the weird little bubble cars that they'd always been in the past. This is not even a bubble. It's like a ramp with wheels.

Practical and good questions.
I noticed that it also has the 'trap door' in the bed for storage. Cmon not great, don't do that.
Can this be Rhino lined? What stops water from creeping into the storage? Will that door and its
hinges hold up to serious weight? I look at this from the perspective of: I get 2 yards of mulch dumped in it,
scoop it out with a wide flat shovel, hose the sucker down because that black water/mulch bits get everywhere.
Typical pickup truck handles this with ease... as long as the bed is lined.

I'm having a hard time seeing who his target audience is with that design. I live in Washington state and as anyone that lives here will tell you we have a very large concentration of trucks here. There are so many pavement princess drivers that I don't see them buying something as radical as this departure from the normal red neck 100 year old design that is so prevalent in all brands of full size trucks. As a fan of tesla I can appreciate his future forward thinking design but I'm still on the fence.

I'm going to say target audience is Male, age 30-50, enjoys sci-fi, works in tech

I'm going to say target audience is Male, age 30-50, enjoys sci-fi, works in tech

I'm going to guess those same specs apply to the guy who designed it.

I'm interested in it but I don't care for sci fi. I use to work in the tech field but not anymore. I do fit that age group.

It's a hard one to pin down though on who's gonna be mainly buying this. I really do see a military use platform and work fleets.

salmon-tesla-cybertruck-rendering-is-probably-more-rugged-than-the-real-deal-139171-7.jpg

Someone over there has lost their mind if they think they can go this far off the "norm" and sell these to anyone but fanbois. Rivian and Ford are going to eat their lunch in the Truck department.

Luckily they still have the Model 3 and Model Y that should keep them at the top of the EV stack for a while.

Who ever designed this needed to work on the Tesla Pick up

I'm not so sure about ford and rivian being able to sell more trucks than Tesla. If anything elon will respond to them just like he responded to Porsche. Tesla has such a huge head start in the ev marketplace and platform design that theres a huge catch up period and has been shown with the 2012 model S no other ev manufacturered up until 2019 can compete on the same level and if they do elon will up the ante. Competition is great and I hope ford and rivian can bring some amazing electric trucks/car to the table but so far.............

Lol nothing great has ever gotten an initial good reaction.

You should follow Apple’s history... or Netflix.

Because change in thought is extremely difficult for humans as a whole.

Not a good analogy. Apple’s innovative products were usually hailed as quite beautiful. The only exception might be AirPods. And Netflix was never particularly controversial except maybe that you had to wait a day or two for your DVD to arrive when it first started.

This Cybertruck seems to have some niche appeal, but this isn’t going to be some big seller that moves Tesla even more into a mass market company. This is a throwback design to outdated style from the 80s or 90s, when Delorean was cutting edge, “cyber” was cool, and stealth bombers were new tech. To me it looks dated. If some people like it, great. But if you’re thinking this is going to be some new trend setting thing like iPod, airpods, Netflix, iphone, Apple 2+, ... or even the Model 3, that ain’t happening. The pick-up truck market is huge, but this will be lucky to get a small slice of it.

Not a good analogy. Apple’s innovative products were usually hailed as quite beautiful. The only exception might be AirPods. And Netflix was never particularly controversial except maybe that you had to wait a day or two for your DVD to arrive when it first started.

This Cybertruck seems to have some niche appeal, but this isn’t going to be some big seller that moves Tesla even more into a mass market company. This is a throwback design to outdated style from the 80s or 90s, when Delorean was cutting edge, “cyber” was cool, and stealth bombers were new tech. To me it looks dated. If some people like it, great. But if you’re thinking this is going to be some new trend setting thing like iPod, airpods, Netflix, iphone, Apple 2+, ... or even the Model 3, that ain’t happening. The pick-up truck market is huge, but this will be lucky to get a small slice of it.

Being hailed as beautiful? I’m not just talking about looks. I’m talking about the overall idea of pushing boundaries.

You say exception is just AirPods but that’s a huge “exception” considering it’s their best product in the past few years.

Netflix, who the hell wanted to wait a couple days for dvd when they can drive to blockbuster? Streaming? Ha that tech will never make it due to quality issues and tv screen sizes.

You sound like you believe your knowledgeable.

What is the definition of a mass market company?

Do you know how many people said exactly what you said about Tesla as a company?

The part you’re missing here about the poor Delorean comparison is that the specs and tech in this car is significantly more superior than competitors, when also taking into account price point.

Reactions: VRM3 and Brovane

There is a reason no one makes a pickup like that. The bed would be unusable-y too small. Reason I didn't go with the Rivian pickup is even that with a 4.5 foot bed is too small.

Reactions: VRM3
I didn't say anything about an 8 foot bed. Only 20% of pickups sold have an 8-foot bed.

If you think that rose colored CyberTruck render above has an 6.5 foot bed, you have terrible spacial awareness.

My spatial (not spacial) awareness is fine, the average truck door is 4 feet on a crew cab truck (4 full doors). The red line is most likely where the bed would start, that is most likely a 6.5 foot bed.
Tesla-Pickup-autoevolution-1.jpg