Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG...tire choices: my head hurts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't share the same experience.
Me, neither. Maybe it's because we don't get ice in Colorado.

My OEMs were MXM4s. I replaced them with A/S3+s which I like better, especially in snow. I'm just about ready for the 3rd set and considering trying the Nokian WR-G4. I do spend a significant amount of time in Colorado ski country in the winter (and have never had dedicated snows). Anyone had experience with the WR-G4 vs the A/S3+?

Reactions: meomyo and David99
I am thinking about the purecontact LS. Similar class to Michelin A/S 3+. Someone gave a good review on them on the MS.

As to DWS 06. They have been around too long, and need to be updated. Not the best around anymore for the price. I read on this forum they don't last long on the MS.
This was exactly my experience after years of DWS (pre-06 version even) on many AWD performance sedans (Audi mostly) but when I read they were getting long in the tooth I wanted to try the new top dog. Enter Pilot Sport A/S 3+

My OEMs were MXM4s. I replaced them with A/S3+s which I like better, especially in snow. I'm just about ready for the 3rd set and considering trying the Nokian WR-G4. I do spend a significant amount of time in Colorado ski country in the winter (and have never had dedicated snows). Anyone had experience with the WR-G4 vs the A/S3+?
Good to hear. While I've logged many miles of snow driving and some ice over the decades in Colorado I have no first-hand snow experience on these new A/S 3+ to draw from. I defer to those who have (most all seem to be positive) for the next few months anyway as I fully plan to test them extensively this winter. I'll probably throw a set on the wife's 70D too since they rate so well. She didn't need new tires the way I did on the P85D (going from 21's to 19's) but if they're as good in the snow as I'm reading I may just upgrade them now.

Different categories: A/S 3+ is an all season, the WRG4 is an all weather: there is no way the A/S 3+ will be better in winter conditions. Having said that there will always be some claim that one guy had the Nokians and says the Michelins are better because he is comparing 100% tread Michelins to his worn out WRG4's.

I used WG-R3 before. I read R4 acts more like all season and less winter tire now.

The R3 allowed my FWD ICE to go up on an icy slope with no tire slip. I read R4 slips in this condition from some forum review I read.

Maybe the G3's were better than the G4's; really hard to compare; even the reviews from experience you have to take with a grain of salt, as snow conditions are always changing and comparisons between different vehicles may not be meaningful. The only way to know for sure is to have 2 sets and run them back to back on the same vehicle in the same "track" on the same day, of course hard to come by.

But I can confirm my Model S with G4's can run laps around my daughters Civic with G3's in winter conditions.

Thank you for the input- that tire is on my list: the reason we got sep rims for snows here is mainly ice and stopping distance- the sotozero 3 is like noght and day compared to the all seasons in that regard.-safer with all the lame drivers in colorado(not you). But as i said the winter season here is shorter so snows wear fast cause of the warmth in between snows.

If you want the best (shortest) stopping distance on ice there is no question: get studded tires. I will not get them because they ruin my aggregate driveway.

I have the exact same setup as @jerry33 : MXM4's 6 months of the year and WRG4's for 6 months both mounted and balanced on 2 sets of cyclone rims. I'll confirm everything he said with the exception that I don't think I will ever get a full on winter tire over the WRG4, regardless of how much winter we get. (we have had 50cm of snow dump on the roads overnight and temperatures down to -25 C (-13 F)) I don't think the extra 5-10% traction is worth the trade off of buying winter every 2 years; I'm too cheap for that. It drove me nuts knowing that 4 days after 1 foot of snow fell the temperature goes to 14 degrees Celsius, the roads are all bone dry and I'm wearing out my $1500 of soft Hakkepelliitas.

I am 95% sure I will get another set of MXM4's when they wear out too; awesome tires.

Reactions: cantdecide

I am considering the wr-g4 but the site says they are not in tesla size?? and where do you get in denver area? Also looking at the nokian/ the a/s3+ the conti ls and the new michelin just called a/s(weird as they have the a/s+ but these arent pilots)Any how let me know.

I am considering the wr-g4 but the site says they are not in tesla size?? and where do you get in denver area? Also looking at the nokian/ the a/s3+ the conti ls and the new michelin just called a/s(weird as they have the a/s+ but these arent pilots)Any how let me know.
The WRG4 does come in Tesla size (19"). Discount Tire carries Nokian, but I don't see the WRG4 on the web site. Could call them and ask. I know when I got my A/s3+s, they weren't in stock and I called to order them at the local store. They were in the next day.
https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-WR-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B0794D5VXC

What did you end up going with? I am debating between the MXM4, Bridgestone QuietTrack, and Conti Purecontact LS for my new 19" wheels. Currently I have the stock MXM4s on 18" aeros and I find them to be loud.
19" tires are likely to be louder than 18" tires. (Note that new tires are always quieter than worn tires, so comparing the tires you're removing to new tires doesn't tell you anything). Tire noise also depends on road construction. Some tires are louder on some roads than others. I've found over the years that Michelins tend to have lower noise when worn than other tires (some of which have been very loud when worn).

Reactions: maximizese
Toyo Celsius. They're true "mountain and snowflake" design which can help you if you're up 8,000-10,000 feet ASL. If you're dropping into flat / dry country (Denver) then they'll work just fine and still have traction when the temperature turns cold (0 degrees C and below).

It's been a "dry" winter here in Tahoe, but we've had a couple of days when we had 6" fall over night, plus the ice build up that happens when you fail to get to your driveway in time.

No problem going over Echo Summit (7500' or so) and down to Dublin / Fremont either. That means that studded tires are out of the question as I'm going down to warmer climes.

Good to hear. While I've logged many miles of snow driving and some ice over the decades in Colorado I have no first-hand snow experience on these new A/S 3+ to draw from. I defer to those who have (most all seem to be positive) for the next few months anyway as I fully plan to test them extensively this winter. I'll probably throw a set on the wife's 70D too since they rate so well. She didn't need new tires the way I did on the P85D (going from 21's to 19's) but if they're as good in the snow as I'm reading I may just upgrade them now.
Part way through my first winter with these tires and I don't think I'd go with them again. They've been a bit iffy on ice/snow so far and for my needs I'd rather give up a tick or two from 0-60 to have a more confident ride in the winter months. I had good luck with the DSW previously on other sporty(ish) sedans so I'm going to try a set of those again after these have run their course. Who knows, maybe it's not the tires at all and just how Tesla distributes power from the motors. I've been feeling a sliding feeling specifically from the rear at all speeds and all loads when the roads are slick. It's very unnerving and I'm not sure yet if it's the compound in cold weather or how Tesla manages power delivery and recovery.

I bought the same tires in November. We haven't had a lot of snow this winter but the few times we did I think these tires did an OK job. I do have to remind myself to change the drive setting to Chill though. When I forget to do that, on slush and snow the rear would kick out slightly on slow turns. Once Chill was on that wasn't a problem. On just generally slick or wet roads I haven't had any issues. Since I plan to use these tires all season and our winters seem to be getting less severe the only other thing I worry about is tread life.