Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure that just about everyone has tried one-pedal driving. Have you continued to use it after giving it a try? If not, why not?

It's among the best inventions I've ever known and loved!

I love it because it is intuitive: Press means go and let go means stop without reaching for the brake pedal even when going uphill (and without worrying about rolling backward).

It's almost one-pedal driving because there's still a brake pedal next to it. I want to get rid of that brake pedal completely!

Last edited:
Got my model 3 about a month ago and at first i thought I would never use it and 1 pedal driving is a gimmick. Well I now exclusively use one pedal driving. If you have regen set to standard it kind of feels like you are driving in 2nd gear but it can stop and press hold break. Its hard to describe you just kind of need to try it and use it to get it. I let few friends drive it as well always starting on the creep mode so it acts as automatic and switching to one pedal (they all then prefer one pedal driving). I guess easiest way I can describe it is after about 5 minutes driving in the city, you will notice a much smoother acceleration and declaration with one pedal when stopping at the light you just need to give it a bit more "gas" to get you to the line.

It does have what I can describe as "zones" that break harder or softer as certain speeds but its very intuitive and you will learn those zone after about 15 min driving in the city.

Its also suppose to be best mode for car regen but I would not say I really noticed that.

Fair warning tho, after driving it for a bit you will have a 5 - 10 minute period where normal car will feel weird to drive as you tend to not use almost any break when using one pedal (basically emergency only type of thing or if you underestimate your speed).

there's one pedal driving and then there's ONE PEDAL DRIVING. When I got my Model 3 in 2018, all Teslas could only regen down to about 5mph and then you had to apply the friction brakes a bit to come to a complete stop. But in contrast to an ICE, that was a LOT of driving on just the accelerator.

But now that we can come to a complete stop with just the accelerator, I rarely even touch the brake. Coincidentally just today, I had to drive the old 2014 Model S which is forever stuck on the old Tesla regen style, and it was so annoying to have to press the brake to come to a stop, AND to keep it depressed because it didn't have hill hold.

I will say that it took me a few weeks to get used to the transition from the old regen to the new hold method, especially when backing out at low speeds, I was expecting the car to coast more, but instead it would abruptly come to a stop. But now I'll never go back to the old regen.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I very, occasionally use the brake pedal when I need to make a quick sudden stop. Otherwise, I almost never use it. It took me a couple of weeks to get the 'feel' for regenerative braking and to learn how to smoothly ease and unease off the accelerator to make the movement of speed smoother.

This combined with AP during backed up rush hour traffic (using stop and go) has been a real game changer and has made driving much, much more pleasant.

One pedal driving is one of my favorite things. It feels like you are "one" with the car because the combination of explosive acceleration + regen braking to zero requires virtually no body movement. You think it, the car does it.

Backing into my garage was awkward for a couple of days after the update but it's all good now.

Even my wife finally likes it. Took her 18 months to say that.

Reactions: TTinNJ
Used it day 1 (late March 2020) and never looking back. Absolutely love one pedal driving. Almost never need to use brake. It does feel very odd coasting so far and needing to brake when I have to drive my ICE car every so often.

My life goal while driving is to never touch the brake pedal. Still do occasionally, but do my best to not.

Aren't the direction brakes automatically engaged for the last 5 MPH? Not sure if that was determined one way or the other, but I remember the possibility being discussed.