Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One single reverse light on the model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like it. That’s a real shame. Seems this is only on UK-spec vehicles (at least in the case of the Model S) as there are photos online comparing the two. Model S in the US has symmetrical reversing lights (one on each side).

EDIT: A bit of reading suggests the the US spec Model S doesn’t have a rear fog light at all, so I guess they added the symmetric reversing lights instead. Looks better, but seems odd (to me) not to have a rear fog light.

Well as long as it's not a case that my model 3's lights are playing up then I'm not too bothered although it does seem strange that they only have one. I've been told by my brother that the single light is quite hard to see. Considering the car is also silent, you'd have thought they'd of made it as obvious as possible that the car is reversing.

Well as long as it's not a case that my model 3's lights are playing up then I'm not too bothered although it does seem strange that they only have one. I've been told by my brother that the single light is quite hard to see. Considering the car is also silent, you'd have thought they'd of made it as obvious as possible that the car is reversing.

Sounds like things are working as intended.

I enjoyed the recent comment on Fully Charged about the AVAS requirement recently. He made the excellent point that some sort of noise while reversing would be much more important given the silence of the cars and how stealthy they’d be reversing out of a supermarket car park space!

Sounds like it. That’s a real shame. Seems this is only on UK-spec vehicles (at least in the case of the Model S) as there are photos online comparing the two. Model S in the US has symmetrical reversing lights (one on each side).

EDIT: A bit of reading suggests the the US spec Model S doesn’t have a rear fog light at all, so I guess they added the symmetric reversing lights instead. Looks better, but seems odd (to me) not to have a rear fog light.
I guess this is one of the problems in buying a US car in the UK. Here we have to have at least one rear fog light. It’s not a requirement in the US.

Sounds like things are working as intended.

I enjoyed the recent comment on Fully Charged about the AVAS requirement recently. He made the excellent point that some sort of noise while reversing would be much more important given the silence of the cars and how stealthy they’d be reversing out of a supermarket car park space!

Yes although he caused a bit of an uproar when suggesting that they don't need them when going forwards. I'm also in agreement that it needs sound forwards and backwards as they really are silent at low speeds and for the blind this would really be an issue. I could see his point that as a driver you can see what's in front of you but I'd imagine that they'd be a lot of fringe cases where people could step out from behind say a van and still be clipped by the car and injured.

Reactions: dst87
In the UK we're only required to have one rear fog light, on the drivers' side. My Octavia has both bulbs present from the factory but only the required one was enabled when I received it although that was quickly fixed through vcds ;)

Perhaps Tesla only using one is to differentiate between fog and brake lights or maybe it's down to cost saving and/or aesthetics.

Has anyone tried reversing a Model 3 in the dark to find out how bright the reversing light is?

I’m use to single reversing and fog lights so don’t have problem with that but ‘difficult to see’ may mean next to useless in the dark.

Has anyone tried reversing a Model 3 in the dark to find out how bright the reversing light is?

I’m use to single reversing and fog lights so don’t have problem with that but ‘difficult to see’ may mean next to useless in the dark.
I've reversed up the drive quite a bit an it's a longish drive with a bend in it. I've never thought about it before but the light must be quite good as I can always see all the objects I need to avoid.

Reactions: MrBadger
Tesla should incorporate an IR light with the reversing camera that comes on when dark and reverse is engaged - is that one for the suggestion box and my 50p reward,
Yes although if the reverse light is on as well won't that blow out the IR too much to be useful?

One area I do think they should have a light is around the charge port entry holes. I know they have the Tesla logo flashing but last night it was really dark and it was difficult to see exactly where the port was. Although saying that it was still pretty easy to line up, unlike the days of trying to fit a scart socket into the back of your VCR.

Reactions: -DB-