Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair/Replace Reverse Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My reverse light is out (not the license plate, but one of the reverse lights). I’ve removed the housing unit and taken off the LED board, is there a cheap way to get a replacement LED board without having to buy the whole inner light unit?

I’m assuming that it’s the LEDs or the board that’s broken.

You can always check eBay for a used one. If you have it apart, you might examine and test the LEDs to see if one is bad or perhaps not soldered on well. Rarely do LEDs actually fail, usually, it is the connection. Tesla almost always uses surface-mount LEDs. If one is not soldered correctly, it might create an open. If one LED is actually bad, you could remove and replace the LED. That can be a bit more tricky for those not used to dealing with surface mount components.

I do have it apart and can examine and test the board. I don’t see any obvious issues. I went to test the LEDs / board with a multimeter and realized I don’t actually know how- that is, I don’t know where to test for resistance, or lack thereof. Any tips?

The LEDs are typically small squares surface mounted. Usually, they have two connections, on opposite sides. Set your meter to ohms, diode mode, if it has one. Diode mode has the schematic symbol for a diode, a small triangle followed by a line.

View attachment 975547
Put the probes on each side of the LED and note the reading. Switch the probes and note the second reading. One way it will show infinite resistance (often as overload or OL). The other way a good LED will show something like 0.7v (the exact number is not important, just that it shows a number in one direction). A bad LED will be shorted (0 in both directions), or open (OL in both directions).

The LEDs are in series, so if one is bad (open) none will light up. You have to test all of them.

Assume it would be cheaper buy used from a salvage yard. Google is your friend.
Tesla’s price isn’t too bad actually, but I’ll watch eBay for a little while too.

Not sure I understand the google comment. I’ve searched this a good bit and am at a point where asking others directly about potential fixes they have found if/when theirs stopped working seems reasonable.

Not sure I understand the google comment. I’ve searched this a good bit and am at a point where asking others directly about potential fixes they have found if/when theirs stopped working seems reasonable.
I’d Google the part number and see if a salvage yard has one. Not sure what part you need but find a salvage one like this.

IMG_1049.jpeg

Last edited: