Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year, 17,500 miles in an MX Long Range +

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One year of Tesla MX ownership today.
Seats are good for about 3 hours maximum for me.
Average real life range when driving long distances is about 270 miles.
333 Wh average fuel economy.
Cellular integration still weaker than most other cars.
One major powertrain failure.
351 miles range now reads 330.
Tires are at 17,500 will need replacement at 20,000.
Delivered defects still persist even after 5 service visits. Aft cargo compartment was and is detached, rear seat backs still block cargo loading (defect present).
FSD is still not worth the cost. NOA is still too buggy, summon is just scary.
Phantom braking and other logic defects in Autopilot are still at higher levels than Cadillac and Jaguar (perhaps others?).

I'm still happy with the car, but I do miss my I-Pace.
I'd give the car a B+.

Reactions: sllvgl and El joe
When you say real world driving range over long distances, what are we talking about conditions/speed wise? I'm getting ready to do our first long road trip in this thing and want to set expectations for myself

Pass.

We own an E-Pace and it's complete trash. Bought it new in 2018 and it's used very sparingly especially now in COVID times. The interior is wearing terribly (steering wheel button markings have all but rubbed off) and it's needed service already a number of times. Rear brakes were completely worn after only a year requiring new pads and rotors (we actually opened a case with Jaguar/Land Rover and they admitted a defect in the brakes but would not reimburse).

The infotainment is a complete joke and the car is absolutely impractical (a 5 seater CUV that can't fit a full size piece of luggage in the cargo area).

I can't wait until this piece of cr*p is paid off so we can trade it in for a Model X.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Delivered defects still persist even after 5 service visits. Aft cargo compartment was and is detached, rear seat backs still block cargo loading (defect present).
Phantom braking and other logic defects in Autopilot are still at higher levels than Cadillac and Jaguar (perhaps others?).

I'd give the car a B+.
My X 1.5 years old. 14K miles.
Mine listed as 326 miles range and I'm getting close to that on full charge. But there was a boost range released but they never advertised what it is for mine. It's not a LR+. My guess is I lost maybe 10 miles range.
It has not visited SC yet. But I fixed a Window air leak myself.
Is does have some shutter, but if on super low setting and sport suspension mode, sport steering it's good.
270 miles real range is probably about right.
I paid $6K for FSD. Stopped using NOA on my Model 3 before I got the X.
Never tested Summon.
I can drive as long in this car as long as any, 4-5 hours (with a bio break).
Phantom braking has seemed to get gradually better. I also leaned to not panic as much as it does. It's not as drastic as it feels.
I've had cars not far behind me not even notice it slowed down. It's that it's so instant. It might drop 5-10 in 1-2 seconds.
I've only had one other car with cellular and it wasn't as "visible". Cellular seems fine, tracks with my phone usually.
I runs snows in winter so hard to know mileage on summer tires. I'll be happy to replace summer tires because the winter ones are so much quieter.
I'd buy another X in a heart beat.

When you say real world driving range over long distances, what are we talking about conditions/speed wise? I'm getting ready to do our first long road trip in this thing and want to set expectations for myself
I'm usually 10mph over the posted limit or 80 mph, whichever is lower. There are 80 mph and even some 85 mph freeways out west.

But 270 miles is 100% to tow truck. So in normal 80% to 15% segments expect to recharge about every 200.

Pass.

We own an E-Pace and it's complete trash. Bought it new in 2018 and it's used very sparingly especially now in COVID times. The interior is wearing terribly (steering wheel button markings have all but rubbed off) and it's needed service already a number of times. Rear brakes were completely worn after only a year requiring new pads and rotors (we actually opened a case with Jaguar/Land Rover and they admitted a defect in the brakes but would not reimburse).

The infotainment is a complete joke and the car is absolutely impractical (a 5 seater CUV that can't fit a full size piece of luggage in the cargo area).

I can't wait until this piece of cr*p is paid off so we can trade it in for a Model X.

I-Pace: After 16k miles it looked and drove like new. Much more quiet than the X, much better handling, much more adjustable seating, much less tire wear. Paint didn't chip at all. Rear hatch foot gesture, HUD, 360 view, heated/AC seats, heated wheel. You can both send and receive texts to all your iPhone contacts and see your complete text history. Car never rebooted while driving. ACC works up to 120 mph, as does autosteering.

MX has much larger cargo capacity and in North America, there is no hitch option on the I-Pace.

I cannot believe how bad the cellular integration is on the MX. If somebody texts you an address or phone #, it won't easily access it. NAV and Speech are very weather sensitive. Sometimes, the X simply won't allow the text functions to operate. And it will drop the BT at random.

I assume that either I'm the only one who uses an X as a delivery truck, or I got a total lemon when it comes to the digital tech.

I assume that either I'm the only one who uses an X as a delivery truck, or I got a total lemon when it comes to the digital tech.

You didn't get a Lemon, its just part of the Tesla experience!!

Our X has had warranty issues every 4 months since delivery nearly 4 years ago. I've just had a range comer out to fix a broken window actuator, he was able to fix it but now the door motor is broken so he needs to come back to replace that.

Our X has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned, new steering wheel, drivers seat, front suspension collapse, MCU failure, multiple drivers and passenger door issue, the list just goes on and on and on!!

I'd give the car a B+.
Agree, but unfortunately, not other EVs are near competitive and am patiently waiting for the next couple of years to see what's available in replacing the X

I'm usually 10mph over the posted limit or 80 mph, whichever is lower. There are 80 mph and even some 85 mph freeways out west.

But 270 miles is 100% to tow truck. So in normal 80% to 15% segments expect to recharge about every 200.
Thanks for sharing. I have been contemplating (for a while) going from our Raven S Standard Range to an MX LR+, thinking the added range and FWD would be awesome. However, 270 real miles is barely better than the 245 real miles on our 75 kWh Raven S with 5% SoC left. I drive 5-7 MPH over posted limit. The internal debate rages on...

Thanks for sharing. I have been contemplating (for a while) going from our Raven S Standard Range to an MX LR+, thinking the added range and FWD would be awesome. However, 270 real miles is barely better than the 245 real miles on our 75 kWh Raven S with 5% SoC left. I drive 5-7 MPH over posted limit. The internal debate rages on...

Well you could even go further in your SR if you run it down to 0% SOC.

If I was dumb enough to run my LR down to 5% I’d get 313 miles. And I tend to exceed EPA range in the summer by about 5%.

If I did run an SR the same way I run my LR I’d go from around 270 real world range on LR to about 200 miles range on an SR.

You can’t apply different rules to different batteries to make the numbers feel good.

My '21 LR+ is at around 285 wh/mi on the highway at steady 70mph now that the weather has warmed up. Add 15-20 for that for the bummers that always come along like wind and rain and hills and such and that's still more than 300 miles of 100% to 0% range.

But if you go 80, because you want to or that's the speed limit or whatever, obviously, that's going to drop. But mine is an H battery with the 371 rated range, so, not the same exact thing.

I left the house with 90% in the battery today and it was telling me 320 miles predicted range by the time I got off the highway 25 miles of mostly 70mph highway later...

But, again, perfect conditions right now, the battery will probably never be better than it is right now at around 3700 miles, and no long 80mph runs to really compare against.

Last edited:
Can you define Powertrain failure?
-Failure to start
-Stopped whilst driving
-Limp mode?
-other?

Thanks for quick informative summary.
The front axle(s) had to be replaced due to a very violent acceleration and regen shudder. Drivetrain would have been the more accurate term. It was bad enough to park the car. There is still a vibration that wasn't there when new, but it is usable. I will probably have to bring it in again.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx