Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online configurator preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, thanks for clarifying. This important detail is likely the nail in the coffin of my Tesla Model 3 dreams.

I suppose the last 15 months of anticipation were fun while they lasted.

Sorry..

If you time it right though and order so that you get it in December (next year?), then you can file ASAP in Feb and apply that money to the loan. Might just be a delayed dream instead of a dead one!
Or, apply the money to a higher interest loan that you might be able to pay off completely and make the Tesla payment less painful. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Question, sorry if this has been asked before. I know Tesla has not had this big of a backlog, ever. I have a estimate on MyTesla of Feb-Apr 2018, how far in advance will I be invited to the configurator? Thanks for any help.
I believe the FAQ says about a month. Of course it is all subject to change and will depend on what the people in front of you end up doing.

They may be losing money on the standard range battery pack knowing that a lot of folks will spring for the extra range and options. They have plenty of evidence for that in the pattern of Model S and X sales.
I hope Tesla is not losing money on the base battery option. S/X are completely in a different league and what happened there doesn't inform what will happen with 3.

$9k is 25% more than the base price. That is a steep increase. I don't expect more than 50% to make that jump (Model S 40 was chosen by less than 10%, IIRC). One thing to note is that marginal utility of extra range decreases as the range gets higher. I'd pay $9k to go from 130 to 220 - but not 220 to 310.

I'd rather spend on AP than a bigger battery. 220 miles is still nearly 3x my Leaf.

$9k is 25% more than the base price. That is a steep increase.

25% more cost for 41% more range, maybe it's not so steep afterall :)

I'd rather spend on AP than a bigger battery. 220 miles is still nearly 3x my Leaf.

I've got along fine with a bit less even in an S60. As long as you aren't taking regular super long distance road trips, it's just about learning to manage the range appropriately.

Basic is just the $5000 autopilot option. The other $3000 option is for future capabilities where the car can fully drive itself with no driver needed.

But do we have to pay the $3000 up front when we order this, because it includes some additional hardware, or can the $3000 be paid down the line when it's ready and legal to use? Seems odd to pay for this before it's ready and has met regulations.

But do we have to pay the $3000 up front when we order this, because it includes some additional hardware, or can the $3000 be paid down the line when it's ready and legal to use? Seems odd to pay for this before it's ready and has met regulations.
As far as I know, the $3000 is all software, so it should be unlockable later on (though probably for an extra $1000). I do agree it seems odd. If Tesla wanted funds to work on a cool project they can release at some point in the future, maybe they should have tried kickstarter.

When do you think the design studio will open for actual customers (i.e existing owners/line waiters). Do you think we will have the immediate option to order the standard battery? Or will we be deferred like the employees and only given the opportunity to order the $49k model.

When do you think the design studio will open for actual customers (i.e existing owners/line waiters). Do you think we will have the immediate option to order the standard battery? Or will we be deferred like the employees and only given the opportunity to order the $49k model.
I'm thinking mid-September for the first batch, and probably allowing standard config with a delayed delivery stated.

Just submitted my order after configuring! Can't wait!!!

IMG_9137.jpg

(Just kidding - this was an employee's order found on Instagram )

Destination charge is constant anywhere in U.S. it's the law!!!
It's not the law. The only thing federally mandated is that it appear as a separate line item on the sticker and invoice. Manufacturers can charge delivery in any way they choose to, but the majority use the equalized delivery fee so that everyone pays the same amount and people living further from the factory aren't penalized.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
For the base battery, the super charging is pretty slow (130 miles in 30 minutes). Charge time is one of THE things people worry about when considering switching to EVs. With buffer, you're looking at 45+ minutes of supercharging in the base model. That's really not much better than the Bolt at a 50kwh DC charger.
So I guess you are comparing the supercharging to the Bolt and other EVs? Or are you saying it is slow compared to other Tesla models? For me, it would be acceptable and comparable to our MX. Seems it isn't any different than other Teslas. It's can charge over 100KWh depending on the situation.

I have to admit, most everything with the Model 3 performance/battery specs baffles me.
  • For the base battery, the super charging is pretty slow (130 miles in 30 minutes). Charge time is one of THE things people worry about when considering switching to EVs. With buffer, you're looking at 45+ minutes of supercharging in the base model. That's really not much better than the Bolt at a 50kwh DC charger.
  • The 75kwh verison is MUCH slower than the 75kwh Model S, despite the same battery size and substantially lower weight. Why?
  • Back in my day 4.5 years ago +25kwh was $10,000 (60->85), the cost per kwh between base and long range 3 hasn't really improved either and THAT more than anything I expected would be better given the gigafatory.

The car, the options, and the cost are pretty on par with what I expected (other than a larger battery being maybe 5-6k), but I certainly wasn't expecting things related to the battery (super charge rate, performance, cost) to stay the same or get worse as EVs became mass production.

Edit: corrected my statement about supercharging

I think Tesla is becoming more acutely aware of how hard Super Charging is on the battery life, and why they have been limiting some owners over extreme SC use.
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

With over half a million Model 3's lined up in the reservation books already, Tesla needs to get ahead of this issue, lest it become a negative on a mass scale. Limit the charge rates to a "more than safe" level and eliminate the issue before it begins. Charging speed be-damned.

Further, there is speculation that the battery format at the cell level for the M3 is significantly different from the 18650s or the 2170s. Rumors suggest a much wider and flatter battery structure, a 44160, which may also have something to do with it.
Battery Advances at the Heart of Tesla’s Model 3

Further, there is (make that "was") speculation that the battery format at the cell level for the M3 is significantly different from the 18650s or the 2170s. Rumors suggest a much wider and flatter battery structure, a 44160, which may also have something to do with it.
Battery Advances at the Heart of Tesla’s Model 3

Edit: Follow up to recent 44160 rumor -- Today during the 2017 Q2 financial results conf call, Tesla confirmed that the Model 3 is using the new 2170(0) battery cells. 44160 it appears, is not a thing.
Tesla confirms Model 3 battery pack uses 2170 form factor cells