Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 154 miles; break failure!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new Model Y 10 days ago - exciting day. It all went so perfectly smooth...

Today I went to pull the car out of the garage but it wouldn't recognize my foot was on the break? Then I noticed the red e-break light was on. Tried a few more times, went into the Safety menu (break button grayed out), did a cpu reset - no luck. Figured I was doing something wrong so I went online for solutions - nothing. I called Roadside who transferred me to a the tech support. They ran me through 30 minutes of different hard resets procedures...then the yellow ((!)) break error light appeared.

45 minutes later my car is on a flatbed to a Tesla service center that is an hour away. The Tesla towing service guy said that not only was the e-break not working but the breaks for the entire car had failed?!?!?!

Now I have no car, they won't give me a loaner from a closer location, I had to cancel appointments, the people I speak to blow me off...this is a BRAND NEW CAR with 154 total miles.
Absolute nightmare.

Currently waiting for the Sales Manager where I purchased the car to call me back (we'll see). Any experience/suggestions on how to proceed.
I'm in shock right now! Unacceptable.

In this case I will expect the SC gives you a loaner for your brake trouble if there is one available for goodwill. The is only advisor not manager like traditional car dealership, they are not on commission, once they helped you through the purchase, their job is done and they cannot control anything beyond that, Tesla operates differently! Hopefully, the SC can figure out the problem soon, this thing happens though rare, there really no one you can complain to as long as they fulfill their duty to fix your car within reasonable time or until it breaks the lemon law.

Last edited:
Are you saying they would give you a loaner, just not from the location you wanted it from? (Maybe there wasn't one available from the location you wanted to get one from.)

Let Tesla repair the vehicle.
The service location is over an hour from my house. That means several hours of driving for me to pickup the loaner/drive home. Then several more hours to drive back when the car is repaired and drive home. Not to mention ~5 hours I spent today on support calls, being put on hold, towing companies, etc.

A monumental waste of my time for a car w/ 154 miles and it.

Ridiculous.

That means several hours of driving for me to pickup the loaner/drive home.

Not to mention ~5 hours I spent today on support calls, being put on hold, towing companies, etc.
Sounds like if you had just taken the loaner from the location they offered it from instead of trying to get them to do something different you would have spent less time. (And you likely could have ridden in the tow truck with the car so you wouldn't have to drive there.)

In this case I will expect the SC gives you a loaner for your brake trouble if there is one available for goodwill. The is only advisor not manager like traditional car dealership, they are not on commission, once they helped you through the purchase, their job is done and they cannot control anything beyond that, Tesla operates differently! Hopefully, the SC can figure out the problem soon, this thing happens though rare, there really no one you can complain to as long as they fulfill their duty to fix your car within reasonable time or until it breaks the lemon law

154 miles.
In this case I will expect the SC gives you a loaner for your brake trouble if there is one available for goodwill. The is only advisor not manager like traditional car dealership, they are not on commission, once they helped you through the purchase, their job is done and they cannot control anything beyond that, Tesla operates differently! Hopefully, the SC can figure out the problem soon, this thing happens though rare, there really no one you can complain to as long as they fulfill their duty to fix your car within reasonable time or until it breaks the lemon law.
Operates differently? Goodwill. Come on - 154 miles and it’s dead. That’s unacceptable regardless of the company/industry.

The service location is over an hour from my house. That means several hours of driving for me to pickup the loaner/drive home. Then several more hours to drive back when the car is repaired and drive home. Not to mention ~5 hours I spent today on support calls, being put on hold, towing companies, etc.

A monumental waste of my time for a car w/ 154 miles and it.

Ridiculous.
They can’t just give you a random car from a Tesla store as a loaner.

Well, do you see Tesla promised any service loan car anywhere when you purchased the car? You will be surprise how little power they have the folks you deal with at the SC and through the app, unlike typical dealership that depends on customer relationships to thrive, Tesla do not need that. Customer can stick with car because of the technology and not the service experience.

When I picked up my MS 6+ years ago, it is already broken and they are working on it (and took them 3 tries to get it right), I ended up spending more than 8 hours to pick up the car, but in the first month, I spent more time on a service tech's old Tesla than my new car for various problems, it's funny he swapped his car with mine before going to bed and returned with the fixed car later! They do try their best to fix any problem with the vehicle but anything else is peripheral to them. Good luck with yours.