Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 294 miles displayed range from very first full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a 2020 Performance 3 which I took delivery of 12/30/19. I have concerns about the battery that I'm hoping some experienced folks on this forum may be able to address.

I realize that SOC is much more important than displayed range. However, in all the threads I've read, I have not come across anyone stating that their very first full charge (to 100% SOC) only brought it to a displayed range of 294 miles. I then repeated this about a week later (ensuring that everything was off to include sentry mode), and again got just 295 miles.

As possibly a related issue, I am only getting about 80% of efficiency out of the battery (meaning a total range of only about 250 miles) when driving on autopilot (typically around 60-65 mph), with no A/C, and only thing on is the fan on the lowest setting. However, the outside temperature is around 55 F degrees. When the outside temp finally hit about 68 degrees, I was able to get 100% efficiency (e.g., I drove 60 actual miles and observed a 60 mile drop in the displayed range).

A few questions:

1. Is my car showing displayed range of only 295 miles (at 100% SOC) because the car is taking into account that it is only 55 degrees outside, and in a few months, when I wake up to 68 degree temps, should a full charge then give a displayed range closer to 310?

2. Is my 80% efficiency in 55 degrees normal?

3. Do you think I should have the battery inspected by Tesla?

Thank you.

I have almost the same observation. Full charge has always been about 295 +-5 from the first charge in December 2019. 2020 Model 3 Performance. This week I depleted the battery to 5% and did a full charge per service tech’s recommendation. No change in max range :(
Hello. I have a 2020 Performance 3 which I took delivery of 12/30/19. I have concerns about the battery that I'm hoping some experienced folks on this forum may be able to address.

I realize that SOC is much more important than displayed range. However, in all the threads I've read, I have not come across anyone stating that their very first full charge (to 100% SOC) only brought it to a displayed range of 294 miles. I then repeated this about a week later (ensuring that everything was off to include sentry mode), and again got just 295 miles.

As possibly a related issue, I am only getting about 80% of efficiency out of the battery (meaning a total range of only about 250 miles) when driving on autopilot (typically around 60-65 mph), with no A/C, and only thing on is the fan on the lowest setting. However, the outside temperature is around 55 F degrees. When the outside temp finally hit about 68 degrees, I was able to get 100% efficiency (e.g., I drove 60 actual miles and observed a 60 mile drop in the displayed range).

A few questions:

1. Is my car showing displayed range of only 295 miles (at 100% SOC) because the car is taking into account that it is only 55 degrees outside, and in a few months, when I wake up to 68 degree temps, should a full charge then give a displayed range closer to 310?

3. Do you think I should have the battery inspected by Tesla?

Thank you.

...Performance...

The bigger rim would negatively affect your efficiency. It used to come with 18", then 19", then now, 20"... Not good trend if you want longer range.

Lower temperature can decrease the range. You should get higher range in a hot summer.

By the way, do you faithfully charge your car daily to 90% as recommended by Tesla Service Center?

Charging below 90% is fine for your battery but your battery gauge might become inaccurate.

Efficiency is dependent on environments as well as driving style.

Hypermilers know how to get more range than what advertised but for the rest of us, it might be difficult to duplicate EPA laboratory conditions.

You do realize that EPA highway test is based on indoor temperature controlled dynamometer at 48 MPH, don't you?

...3. Do you think I should have the battery inspected by Tesla?...

No.

Tesla guarantees your Model 3 to have 70% capacity. I wouldn't worry about it until then.

Nothing to worry about. They changed the EPA constant with the latest update. I got delivery November and used to get 310 at 100%, now with the latest update, the moment it installed, changed my range to 295-296. I charge it to 90% and used to get 279, that dropped to 264-265. Maybe they will fix it with another update but right now doesn't matter what you do, as long as that constant stays the same, you are not going to get a different number.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thank you all for your helpful replies. So it makes sense to me that the bigger wheels would decrease my efficiency, but when the car is showing a displayed range of 294 miles with 100% state of charge, how does the car know I what size rims I have on it? Does someone at the factory from Tesla actually input into the car’s computer system the size of my rims and then the displayed range algorithms are based on that? Or are you all simply saying that the bigger rims decreases overall efficiency?

This is to be expected and should level off after a few thousand miles. Here’s a screenshot of my rated range early on (mileage is on the horizontal axis):
AF2B3374-F62E-4724-BD8E-DEBB57E87826.jpeg
Ignore the trend line, it’s calculated based on almost 30k miles.

P.S. honestly, “switch to percent and stop worrying” was the best advice I ever got about the car.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
...Does someone at the factory from Tesla actually input into the car’s computer system the size of my rims...

If you think someone input it wrong, you can go to your car's screen menu and select the correct one:

pOx6GJj.jpg

...Or are you all simply saying that the bigger rims decreases overall efficiency?

Yes. That too. Bigger rim means less range.

Last edited:
Your situation is normal. All the information you need is here in the thread below. I recommend reading the various detailed posts there to understand how this aspect of your car works and how to track future changes.

Model 3 Performance - charged to 100% shows 293 miles range. Why?

So far this is only applicable to Performance vehicles - the AWD still does not reflect the 322 rated mile EPA range AFAIK.

At freeway speeds you should expect to go no further than about 240 miles on a full charge to 100%, driving to 0%. Note to use all the EPA energy you also have to drive well past 0% until the car stops, which is about 5-10 extra miles (do not do this). On a long road trip it’s much more common to stop every 200 miles or so.

The aero wheels definitely help significantly at speed, though tire rolling resistance is a big factor as well when comparing 18”/19”/20” city EPA efficiencies.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz and VT_EE
Nothing to worry about. They changed the EPA constant with the latest update. I got delivery November and used to get 310 at 100%, now with the latest update, the moment it installed, changed my range to 295-296. I charge it to 90% and used to get 279, that dropped to 264-265. Maybe they will fix it with another update but right now doesn't matter what you do, as long as that constant stays the same, you are not going to get a different number.

the estimated mileage change is because they adjusted the estimated range based on the tire size so I highly doubt they will fix this in an update as it should be more accurate now. You can see this by going into the settings and changing your tire size temporarily — your range will immediately adjust. So for the bigger 20 inch tires you will not get an estimated range of 310. That’s for the 18 inch tires. My P3D- (18 inch tires) gets 312 at 100% charge.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. So it makes sense to me that the bigger wheels would decrease my efficiency, but when the car is showing a displayed range of 294 miles with 100% state of charge, how does the car know I what size rims I have on it? Does someone at the factory from Tesla actually input into the car’s computer system the size of my rims and then the displayed range algorithms are based on that? Or are you all simply saying that the bigger rims decreases overall efficiency?

by your vin they would know how the vehicle was built and what hardware. Would expect it to be pretty easy for them to map VINs (since the vin code contains the model type) to a default tire size with the latest updates. Now if you change the tire size - you would need to manually modify the tire size in the options/settings.

Alansubie4life, your thread is most informative. Thanks for sharing the link. I followed your advice and on a warm battery (had just charged about 30 minutes to increase SOC about 5%), here are my numbers:
Recent Average Efficiency: 263
Projected Range: 277 miles
SOC: 93%
Displayed Range: 275 miles

What do you think?

Alansubie4life, your thread is most informative. Thanks for sharing the link. I followed your advice and on a warm battery (had just charged about 30 minutes to increase SOC about 5%), here are my numbers:
Recent Average Efficiency: 263
Projected Range: 277 miles
SOC: 93%
Displayed Range: 275 miles

What do you think?

Seems fine. Around 78kWh capacity. (Max you would see on trip meter to 0% would be about 73kWh, and 76.5kWh if you drove until the car shut down.)

Constant is about 264-265Wh/rmi20.

Range at 100% is 294-297 rated miles (20”).

If you want to compare your range to other Model 3s with 18” wheels (if you hypothetically had 18” aero wheels), change your wheel configuration to 18” temporarily. This will change nothing except the number displayed and the vehicle avatar, but will screw up the trip planner (will be too optimistic).

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: DR61 and jjrandorin