Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ooooo they're installing a powerpack outside of my work office building

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Where are the disconnects and bollards????

1627567595978.png

Did they put a Supercharger in your parking spot?

No, the building is adding some solar panels above the parking lot so it'll be a big covered parking lot. I can't really tell why they want this Powerpack... maybe they get some fancy kick-back incentive. They put the Powerpack right next to some parking stalls though. It'll need bollards eventually :p

No, the building is adding some solar panels above the parking lot so it'll be a big covered parking lot. I can't really tell why they want this Powerpack... maybe they get some fancy kick-back incentive. They put the Powerpack right next to some parking stalls though. It'll need bollards eventually :p
I mean that chain link fence will be just fine right? It says danger and keep out! :p

• Funny
Reactions: charlesj and RNHurt

The reason why is 100% for reducing demand charges. Demand charges can be half or more of a power bill for a large commercial building.

The batteries are deployed based on the building load, and try to keep the load more even, shaving off the peaks especially.

Demand charges are based on the 15 minute interval when you consumed the most power in a 1 month period. So if you have a 2 hour window where usage doubles each day, you need to cut off that peak to reduce your bill significantly.

The reason why is 100% for reducing demand charges. Demand charges can be half or more of a power bill for a large commercial building.

The batteries are deployed based on the building load, and try to keep the load more even, shaving off the peaks especially.

Demand charges are based on the 15 minute interval when you consumed the most power in a 1 month period. So if you have a 2 hour window where usage doubles each day, you need to cut off that peak to reduce your bill significantly.

Ooooo that explains the random BS true ups the landlord sends us to pay every once in a while. I asked them to explain this demand charge BS and they're like "don't worry just pay you can't do anything about it" lolol.

My guess is the reason for Powerpacks is two-fold. One, incentives from state and feds. Two, cashing in on selling power during the peak usage periods.

Most newer office complexes seem to all have solar, and some look like they have space set aside for battery storage, With items like large parking lots solar+batteries is a win for the employees (covered parking), a win for the owner (lower power bills), and a win for all of us (reduce the duck curve without polluting peaker plants.).

Reactions: KJD
My guess is the reason for Powerpacks is two-fold. One, incentives from state and feds. Two, cashing in on selling power during the peak usage periods.

Most newer office complexes seem to all have solar, and some look like they have space set aside for battery storage, With items like large parking lots solar+batteries is a win for the employees (covered parking), a win for the owner (lower power bills), and a win for all of us (reduce the duck curve without polluting peaker plants.).

Yeah, but if I get a Cybertruck with the solar panel cover, now I'll have to find parking that isn't covered. The struggle is real.

Yeah, but if I get a Cybertruck with the solar panel cover, now I'll have to find parking that isn't covered. The struggle is real.
Will the Cyber truck fit in most parking spots? Also, how much power would you get from the solar panel cover? Most of the figures I have seen talked about taking many days of good sun to fill the truck. A 350 kW panel is about the same size and then there is the angle of the sun, clouds, time of year, etc affecting yield.

So I think you should push for a Supercharger, or at least a level 2 charger in your parking spot. :) I have level 2 in mine (I work from home) and charge from solar.

Last edited:
Will the Cyber truck fit in most parking spots? Also, how much power would you get from the solar panel cover? Most of the figures I have seen talked about taking many days of good sun to fill the truck. A 350 kW panel is about the same size and then there is the angle of the sun, clouds, time of year, etc affecting yield.

So I think you should push for a Supercharger, or at least a level 2 charger in your parking spot. :) I have level 2 in mine (I work from home) and charge from solar.

Lol yeah I noticed parking spots in Norcal are like tiny compared to what I saw in the Midwest. Like maybe the Cybertruck is too big? My round-trip daily commute would be 15 miles assuming we ever go back into the office permanently. So it'd be like perfect if the 1 panel on the cover could get me 15 miles of charge.

There are EV Connect, Blink (they charge $0.60 per kWh!), and a Tesla Supercharging station near where I work, but yeah I plan on charging from home. Got my Gen 3 HPWC (which matches the Powerwalls and looks totally sweeeeeet) all ready to go.

In the category of "first world problem to end all first world problems...." (lmao), a few years ago, the company where I work had solar city out to install solar in our parking lot. At the time of the install, it was one of the largest business installs in the county where my job is located, at least that was the buzz around what they were saying at the time.

Anyway, I thought the covered parking would be awesome, as opposed to parking in the sun when we are at work. It mostly is.... BUT.....

If there is any sort of moisture (early morning dew, rain, etc) on the panels that are over the parking spots, it drips off the panels in a specific way that leads to very dirty drops of water hitting your car in specific places, all the time there is water there. Instead of parking in the rain and having the car be wet all over, you have basically dirty streams of water that hit very specific spots on your vehicle, like pouring dirty water continuously on one spot on your car.

It actually can be seen when you wash your car, unless you claybar it or otherwise buff it out. I actually wont park under the solar panels if I get to the office in the morning (when morning dew is still dripping) or if it is going to rain. I would rather the car get rain all over rather than a stream of dirty water on 3 specific spots on the car.

If the panels covering the spots were "just" a bit larger, this wouldnt be an issue as it would miss the car, but they arent, so it doesnt.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
In the category of "first world problem to end all first world problems...." (lmao), a few years ago, the company where I work had solar city out to install solar in our parking lot. At the time of the install, it was one of the business installs in the county where my job is located, at least that was the buzz around what they were saying at the time.

Anyway, I thought the covered parking would be awesome, as opposed to parking in the sun when we are at work. It mostly is.... BUT.....

If there is any sort of moisture (early morning dew, rain, etc) on the panels that are over the parking spots, it drips off the panels in a specific way that leads to very dirty drops of water hitting your car in specific places, all the time there is water there. Instead of parking in the rain and having the car be wet all over, you have basically dirty streams of water that hit very specific spots on your vehicle, like pouring dirty water continuously on one spot on your car.

It actually can be seen when you wash your car, unless you claybar it or otherwise buff it out. I actually wont park under the solar panels if I get to the office in the morning (when morning dew is still dripping) or if it is going to rain. I would rather the car get rain all over rather than a stream of dirty water on 3 specific spots on the car.

If the panels covering the spots were "just" a bit larger, this wouldnt be an issue as it would miss the car, but they arent, so it doesnt.
It has always bothered me that there is often no water shedding built into these large carports for exactly the reasons you mention.

When we do install carports we use a shared rail system, which eliminates the horizontal gaps, though there are still vertical gaps. water doesn't really drip much from those.

As modules get larger and larger though, the manufacturers want them mounted either in landscape (capturing the long side of the module) or them to be supported more near the middle of the module, rather than just at the 2 short sides (portrait) which makes this solution slightly more expensive than it might otherwise be.

The Cybertruck is going to be wild. I understand it to be the same dimensions as any truck on the streets though.

Lol yeah I noticed parking spots in Norcal are like tiny compared to what I saw in the Midwest. Like maybe the Cybertruck is too big? My round-trip daily commute would be 15 miles assuming we ever go back into the office permanently. So it'd be like perfect if the 1 panel on the cover could get me 15 miles of charge.

You'd need 5 kWh of charge to get that 15 mi. From a 350W panel? Questionable. ;)