Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ooooo they're installing a powerpack outside of my work office building

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally OT
Bring it down to the Tesla Corsa events and you will get there! I can burn 100 miles in about 20 miles or 5-6 laps around the track.

There is one this Sunday at Laguna Seca. You could just come down and watch the Teslas boogie around a real race track.

If you ask nice you might even get a ride-along, if you have a helmet. I am hoping that UP brings up Dark Helmet so I can see it first hand.

My shoulder is injured, so I cant really race, but since it's pretty close I was planning on spectating for a few hours.

Really? I thought EVs were like 4 miles per kWh? Or am I being optimistic?

Isn't the size of the Cybertruck rear folding thing like the size of 2 panels? You don't think we can get like 4 kWh per day the truck is parked in the sun facing North?
If you check Consumer Reports, they get about 3-3.x something per kWh and these are regular vehicles, nut truck like. Panels are about 40" x 65"

I have smaller 10 year old panels, 215W inverter with 235W panels and get about 1.4 kWh on a very good day as an example. Two of those even in DC mode only would be about 2.8 kWh.

It has always bothered me that there is often no water shedding built into these large carports for exactly the reasons you mention.

When we do install carports we use a shared rail system, which eliminates the horizontal gaps, though there are still vertical gaps. water doesn't really drip much from those.

As modules get larger and larger though, the manufacturers want them mounted either in landscape (capturing the long side of the module) or them to be supported more near the middle of the module, rather than just at the 2 short sides (portrait) which makes this solution slightly more expensive than it might otherwise be.

You know jjrandorin is old because he remembers a time when there was this “rain” stuff and how it got his car dirty. We haven’t seen this “rain” stuff in like what… 35 years?

I don’t think there’s a need to manage the draining off the solar panels since the only thing going up there is ash from wildfires.

• Funny
Reactions: Vines
Totally OT
Bring it down to the Tesla Corsa events and you will get there! I can burn 100 miles in about 20 miles or 5-6 laps around the track.

There is one this Sunday at Laguna Seca. You could just come down and watch the Teslas boogie around a real race track.

If you ask nice you might even get a ride-along, if you have a helmet. I am hoping that UP brings up Dark Helmet so I can see it first hand.

My shoulder is injured, so I cant really race, but since it's pretty close I was planning on spectating for a few hours.

Yeah that sounds awesome, but I don’t think my wife is gonna let me do that with our toddler hah.

More here;

Apparently the fire damaged the adjacent mega pack, but the 3' separation seems to have prevented further fire. The firefighting method (“...They are difficult to fight because you can’t put water on the mega packs … all that does is extend the length of time that the fire burns for...” I.e. let it burn until cool) differs from what Tesla has previously recommended for cars.

All the best,

BG

Really? I thought EVs were like 4 miles per kWh? Or am I being optimistic?

Isn't the size of the Cybertruck rear folding thing like the size of 2 panels? You don't think we can get like 4 kWh per day the truck is parked in the sun facing North?
Elon said 15 miles/day. My guess is that is max under a very ideal situation (no fog, mid-summer, no obstructions, etc). And with the truck driven at slow speeds since it was proposed for off-road operations. Also, it has the Elon exaggeration factor built-in. Elon, where is my CT, Semi, Roadster? Heck, where is my new Model X?!!!!!!!

Still no bollards… but you can park like 2 feet from this thing.

And check out that fancy NEC placard.

4EEDFE95-DFD7-43B0-BD53-B7A31AC1C6FB.jpeg

75255BAA-C532-4BCD-9F51-2B3A63E8B15A.jpeg

Reactions: Vines
I wonder how long before some kid comes along and flips the breaker.

BTW, are you back working in the office?

You mean someone named holeydonut comes by and flips the disconnect ... I love me some disconnects.

I'm in the office like once a week now... we can't get the office open because every time we try... someone gets a serious case of COVID and it spooks a lot of the folks. The cases are pretty severe... even of the vaccinated cohorts, we're seeing quite a few people require ER/hospitalization.

I guess that's the difference between California and the rest of the USA. My friend working white collar in the Midwest says their office has been forced open... and any person who hasn't gotten COVID yet is shamed for wimpiness. Vaccine or not lololol.

Seeing you have Sunrun, you should look into getting the F-150 Lightning. Sunrun is the official installer of the Ford charging system.

I don't remember if you were in the F-150 Lightning thread, but I get the feeling the F-150 even if it has V2H or V2G won't work well with a Powerwall setup. The system Sunrun installs has what they call a "Dark Start" battery. And there's a separate inverter for the V2H which seems like a giant mess to try and integrate with a Tesla Powerall system since nothing would talk to each other.

However, the one use case that I want is... if the EV can be instructed to export electricity that mimics a solar array.

For example, if somehow during a black-out and at night... maybe I could plug a EV into a separate inverter that can export 242 v AC at some Amps that I get to specify into my Enphase Envoy (The Envoy is basically a solar-generation panel). To the Tesla system and Enphase, this would mimic solar generation (but obviously wouldn't actually be solar). In this scenario, I could re-charge my Powerwalls or run home loads in a pinch.

Problem is the Enphase Envoy may freak the hell out with some non-Enphase system blasting power onto the Envoy. We need Wwhitney to make and sell such a cool piece of kit :)

Last edited:
I don't remember if you were in the F-150 Lightning thread, but I get the feeling the F-150 even if it has V2H or V2G won't work well with a Powerwall setup. The system Sunrun installs has what they call a "Dark Start" battery. And there's a separate inverter for the V2H which seems like a giant mess to try and integrate with a Tesla Powerall system since nothing would talk to each other.

However, the one use case that I want is... if the EV can be instructed to export electricity that mimics a solar array.

For example, if somehow during a black-out and at night... maybe I could plug a EV into a separate inverter that can export 242 v AC at some Amps that I get to specify into my Enphase Envoy (The Envoy is basically a solar-generation panel). To the Tesla system and Enphase, this would mimic solar generation (but obviously wouldn't actually be solar). In this scenario, I could re-charge my Powerwalls or run home loads in a pinch.

Problem is the Enphase Envoy may freak the hell out with some non-Enphase system blasting power onto the Envoy. We need Wwhitney to make and sell such a cool piece of kit :)
That's one of the selling points of the Lightning, it will back up the house if the grid drops.