Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open letter to Mr Elon Musk regarding showing prices "After incentives and gas saving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP: I appreciate your efforts. I initially felt this was slimy. However, upon reflecting on some of the wonderful responses I get the objective.

we've all said here that it's deceptive and misleading. much discussion. i have no idea why Tesla continues to advertise like this when "the people" (it's own customers!) are saying this is bad.

one thread, including a quote from Elon where he said he's not changing this: Elon discusses showing Tesla Pricing as reflective of annual gasoline savings

another recent thread: Tesla continues to list price with gas savings/incentives and offer odd bundles

and another discussion about it embedded in this thread too: Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

it's very clear we all want this gone. it's a blemish on their image for sure.

At the very least it makes the shopper very aware that the gas savings can be substantial for some. This is something that future buyers really need to be educated on: Despite the higher up front cost, over five years of ownership you can have a sizable chunk of energy consumption savings. I think it's OK to give an example so you can get a sense of it. The real price is there too (its not completely hidden). Note: I still have a beef that its missing the destination/delivery charges. If you click on that amount it then becomes a part of the cash price. (Why can't it just say includes the $1,300 cost or whatever it is for the purchasers country/region).

Perhaps there is a better way with a TCO calculator that gives the shopper control of their own variables (with their current amounts as a default example) as YMMV and for most I'm sure it does. Personal situations and length of ownership make this "average example" a little odd for someone thinking about their affordability. However, will that overload and loose the shopper?

Just one more voice to say this is a very bad idea of Tesla's.
It will fool no one who is buying a $100,000 car into thinking the car is cheaper than it actually is.
It could well dissuade some who might otherwise wish to buy an all electric car from dealing with Tesla, who on the basis of this sales web page are not a company to be trusted.
It took awhile to build up a reputation as an honest fair dealing company but it takes very little time to trash that reputation.
Don't do this; stop doing this please Tesla.

Tesla has now stopped the misleading pricing. Price after gas savings is still there but is not as prominent, which is what people have been suggesting all along.

Last edited: