Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Kenriko,

Any plans in the works for CF decals for the Front and Rear “T” emblems? (You knew I was going to ask)!

Ski

I'm trying to stay away from the Tesla "T" since I know Tesla won't be happy with me directly using the trademark even if it is for the purpose of wrapping it in a different material.

There might be a "unweeded" (weeding is removing the negative space around the cut) piece of material that gets included which might be the middle ground for that. In that case, it's the owner of the car that's creating the logo by removing the negative space in the material.

I'm trying to stay away from the Tesla "T" since I know Tesla won't be happy with me directly using the trademark even if it is for the purpose of wrapping it in a different material.

There might be a "unweeded" (weeding is removing the negative space around the cut) piece of material that gets included which might be the middle ground for that. In that case, it's the owner of the car that's creating the logo by removing the negative space in the material.

Can it be uploaded to the Github at least since it won't be for commercial purposes? I have a vinyl roll that I don't mind cutting by hand.

Looks like there are more than one Cricut machines. If I wanted to cut my own pieces from the open-source templates, which is the lease expensive cutter I can use? And is there another brand I should consider? Thanks to all!

Don't use Cricut they have this silly "cloud" software that runs the machine. Get a Silhouette Cameo 3, they can be found found for $180-$200 on sale.

Currently $199 with a additional ~$6 coupon.

https://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-SILHOUETTE-CAMEO-3-4T-Wireless-Cutting-Machine/dp/B01I51ME1S

Also pickup a weeding tool but don't pay more for one of the bundles with the machine buy the tools separate.

You'll be looking at around $3/sqft for 3M 1080 - you don't save much $ by cutting it yourself but it does allow you to dabble which can be fun.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: M0DEL³
@Kenriko:
I installed the wrap for the doors (window + door open buttons). It worked out great.
Suggestion: If the window open buttons could be a little longer so the wrap down the front of the button, it would be even better. Maybe only another 1/4" or so. PM me and I can explain better.
David

You mean the "front" portion just in front of the little light windows? I thought about it but 1/4th would not be enough for a curve like that one and not have it peel back up. It would need to go way farther down and I felt like that would have made the install more difficult.

I'll give it another look and see if I can come up with something better for a future iteration. if I do come up with something better in the future I'll send you a set of them free of charge just ping me.

If you could leave a review on Amazon that would be super helpful since the door kits haven't had many people review them yet.

Thanks!

Currently, the same three (Brushed Black, Carbon Fiber, Matte Black)

Limiting the number of choices helps me to move faster as I release new products (producing each new product in 10 different flavors right at the start would be crazy)

Hi Kenriko
Any plans on adding the faux wood (open-grain) pattern for both the console, and door trim? That could warm-up the car interior a bit.
Also, do you plan to have the steering wheel wrap too?

You mean the "front" portion just in front of the little light windows? I thought about it but 1/4th would not be enough for a curve like that one and not have it peel back up. It would need to go way farther down and I felt like that would have made the install more difficult.

I'll give it another look and see if I can come up with something better for a future iteration. if I do come up with something better in the future I'll send you a set of them free of charge just ping me.

If you could leave a review on Amazon that would be super helpful since the door kits haven't had many people review them yet.

Thanks!
@Kenriko - yes I mean in front. Maybe you are right about more than 1/4". The current setup's issue (for me) is that the cut between the wrap and the existing piano black vinyl is right where I put my finger and where I tend to lift upward to raise the window. Appreciate you listening to my suggestion. BTW - the install went great. Another tip for installers (is start with the rear seat pieces. I found that the front driver's side is the hardest, but I was well experienced by the time I got to the driver's side (where I will touch the vinyl wrap the most !).

Hi Kenriko
Any plans on adding the faux wood (open-grain) pattern for both the console, and door trim? That could warm-up the car interior a bit.
Also, do you plan to have the steering wheel wrap too?

I'm going to run some experiments with wood grain once I get some samples in.

Steering Wheel wrap will likely take a few weeks just because I'm slammed with everything else at the moment, I really would like to get a chrome delete out for everyone because people charge crazy money for them now and I know I can cut that cost down drastically for you guys.

(I've heard of shops charging $750 - $1000 for chrome delete .. just crazy)

I'm going to run some experiments with wood grain once I get some samples in.

Steering Wheel wrap will likely take a few weeks just because I'm slammed with everything else at the moment, I really would like to get a chrome delete out for everyone because people charge crazy money for them now and I know I can cut that cost down drastically for you guys.

(I've heard of shops charging $750 - $1000 for chrome delete .. just crazy)

@Kenriko,

I’m IN for Chrome delete! Any ideas yet on material type? (i.e. matte black, satin black, gloss black, cf?)

Ski

@Kenriko,

I’m IN for Chrome delete! Any ideas yet on material type? (i.e. matte black, satin black, gloss black, cf?)

Ski

Gloss Black and Matte Black, likely also Brushed Black and Carbon.

The Matte Black Model 3 reveal car had a Gloss Black chrome delete which looked sharp.

676e8253610dfa927d91956f7c2afe31.jpg

Reactions: Paik4Life