Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re wrapping the wood dashboard strip. There have been some discussions of problems covering the wood, particularly if you want to remove the wrap in the future. One person wrote on Facebook, "...putting a 3m 1080 series air egress film (hi-performance) over a breathable surface (that wood), when the sun heats that black 3m, 1mm top textured layer and transfers down to the BLACK adhesive..."

I, too, am worried about the adhesive against an open-grain wood. Curious if (a) others are worried about that, and (b) anyone has a solution to the problem.

Re wrapping the wood dashboard strip. There have been some discussions of problems covering the wood, particularly if you want to remove the wrap in the future. One person wrote on Facebook, "...putting a 3m 1080 series air egress film (hi-performance) over a breathable surface (that wood), when the sun heats that black 3m, 1mm top textured layer and transfers down to the BLACK adhesive..."

I, too, am worried about the adhesive against an open-grain wood. Curious if (a) others are worried about that, and (b) anyone has a solution to the problem.

Interesting, 3M claims no residue (but in reality it's less than 20%) and can generally be removed with something like GooGone.

There is no pigment in the adhesive so it would need to be the wrap material degrading and the only reason I can think of is exposure to some type of chemical substance. I've personally never seen any color transfer unless a harsh chemical that is not compatible with the wrap is used. For example taking you car to a full service car wash you don't really know what they are using in their interior cleaners and that could in theory melt the wrap.

Last edited:
I have used almost every vinyl in my car, the Matte is OK, it does show some scratches after use. My favorites are both Black and white Carbon, Matrix and Shadow black. Brushed metals are also great. But my absolute favorite is 3M Di-Noc Black Leather. Of course this is only for the black interior. But it looks killer.