Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Kenrik, any chance you will be updating your Git with the new templates when available (e.g. dash, chrome delete)? Also, any plans to make a template for the AP side sensor camera?

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 84
I tried the install this weekend and the top and middle went pretty well. Struggled a little at the corners to try to figure out how to fold it around. Right now the excess is folded to the side. I really struggled with the cup holders. I tried it twice with the cut outs for the cupholders and the opening seemed to be too large. I'm not sure if I had distorted the image in conversion from a PDF to a PNG, but when i got it lined up around the front and back, there was a lot of excess material on the thin part at the side, also it didn't go far enough to the side to cover all of the piano black. On the third try I just cut the perimeter with the Cricut and cut the cupholders myself based on feedback someone else provided in the thread. Overall it went pretty well but I think I need to buy more material and redo it, as there are a few spots where the black shows through. I am a little worried that I may have scratched the piano black with the razor at a few places which is going to drive me crazy. I felt as though I wasn't pressing hard enough to go all the way through the vinyl, but who knows at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing incorrectly when using the template on the cupholder area to have excess material (front to back, not side to side) on the thin strips on the side? I'd prefer to avoid the razor blade again, at the fear of making more scratches.

I tried the install this weekend and the top and middle went pretty well. Struggled a little at the corners to try to figure out how to fold it around. Right now the excess is folded to the side. I really struggled with the cup holders. I tried it twice with the cut outs for the cupholders and the opening seemed to be too large. I'm not sure if I had distorted the image in conversion from a PDF to a PNG, but when i got it lined up around the front and back, there was a lot of excess material on the thin part at the side, also it didn't go far enough to the side to cover all of the piano black. On the third try I just cut the perimeter with the Cricut and cut the cupholders myself based on feedback someone else provided in the thread. Overall it went pretty well but I think I need to buy more material and redo it, as there are a few spots where the black shows through. I am a little worried that I may have scratched the piano black with the razor at a few places which is going to drive me crazy. I felt as though I wasn't pressing hard enough to go all the way through the vinyl, but who knows at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing incorrectly when using the template on the cupholder area to have excess material (front to back, not side to side) on the thin strips on the side? I'd prefer to avoid the razor blade again, at the fear of making more scratches.

You might not have the sizing correct as Cricut does not read the sizing the way other plotters will when you import a PDF directly double check the dimensions from the illustrator file and make sure you're sizing it to the same in the Cricut software. There should be a bit of extra material that overlaps the silver trim when then gets tucked and trimmed off with the razor.

Hey Kenrik, any chance you will be updating your Git with the new templates when available (e.g. dash, chrome delete)? Also, any plans to make a template for the AP side sensor camera?

Yes, the new templates will be released after I have the products available for people who don't have access to plotters. I have a few new releases scheduled for January.

Reactions: R1Fast and whatthe2
I bought the matte black vinyl cover for the center console. Eeesh, man that is a talent I still need to acquire. As the video said, I tried the cup holder portion first and holy hell, screwed it up big time. Ended up stretching the material too much to recover. I'm going to give it another shot in a day or two. Wish me luck.

I bought the matte black vinyl cover for the center console. Eeesh, man that is a talent I still need to acquire. As the video said, I tried the cup holder portion first and holy hell, screwed it up big time. Ended up stretching the material too much to recover. I'm going to give it another shot in a day or two. Wish me luck.
I am telling you, Di-Noc is waaaaaaayy easier for the novice!

You might not have the sizing correct as Cricut does not read the sizing the way other plotters will when you import a PDF directly double check the dimensions from the illustrator file and make sure you're sizing it to the same in the Cricut software. There should be a bit of extra material that overlaps the silver trim when then gets tucked and trimmed off with the razor.
I cut mine using a Cricut but did exported the files from AI to a workable format for Cricut.